Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sony Vaio Laptops.

Caris

First things first.

No anti Sony shit in here.

Right 2 things about them:

1: Are they good laptop's? Ignoring the price i have seen a good deal at my local Currys. Like build quality, known problems etc.

2: When it come's to formatting them, do they come with a Driver CD and a Vista CD or do they have this Restore shit built into them.

Cheers.

Sony Vaio's main problem is the software that comes with it. There is a tonne of bloatware that you'll wanna strip straight off the disk. I did it with my Packard Bell.

Usually, its cheaper for manufactuers just to stick a partition on the HDD with an emergency back up on it rather than you getting a Windows and driver disk. Which is a joke, since you're paying for a copy of Windows, all you get a sticker with a number on it.

Hardware wise, they're great. If a little showy, so you might wanna be careful you don't get it stolen, that and from personal experience they either scratch easily or have finger printy plastic like the PS3.

But if you can deal with that, then yeah, if you can justify paying a little more.

So i could just use my OEM Vista premium disk and download the drivers from Sony's site like a normal format?

Yeah, that should work as long as you don't boot into Windows the first time you power up, since it'll want to register, then it gets locked to that installation and no other.

Which utterly fails. Seriously.

Why are you ignoring the price? From my experience Sony's have the worst price to performance ratio in the industry.

I have to agree, everybody i know with a vaio has had to send it away to be repaired. Not an overstatement. However, all 4 of them had what looked to me to be essentially the same model so i should imagine Sony have sorted their shit out since. That model seemed to have lots of problems with it's headphone jack and other more random ones, such as motherboard damage that was probably the users fault, despite what he says.

Yeah i get that, i just mean what the registering thing does?

Basically, if its anything like my Packard Bell, as soon as you register your name/address etc to the laptop, it basically stops you from using that serial code on another installation. Unless you ring up their tech support for whatever reason.

I don't know why mine did this, but i didn't want XP Home, so i just used Pro SP2 till Vista came out.

The graphics card is pretty meh

8400.jpg

Taken from Tom's Hardware. Basically you ain't gonna be playing many (if any) games on it, and despite the name it isn't a DX10 card. To put it in perspective, my 2 year old £700 laptop has an Mobility X700, which sits 3 levels above the Go 8400

Why do you want a laptop for video editing and photoshop when your iMac will do a better job of it?

Because i can't take a imac to collage in my bag haha.

EDIT, that was the other i was looking at Phee, but i hear people say don't go ATI in laptops.

People say that because mobile ATI graphics cards share the system RAM. This can cause problems, because it effectively lowers you're system RAM in graphically intense situations.

In this situation though the point is pretty moot. The card has 256MB of RAM to play with before it even needs to look at the system RAM, then another 2GB of that to share. It's unlikely it will need to share RAM very often and even if it does there should be a fair amount going unused in 2GB! :)

I don't actually agree with these "don't go ATI" comments though, mobile ATI cards tend to be faster. Sure they guzzle RAM, but thats the upgradable part ;)