N-Europe

Wii component cables on SDTVs?

Guest Jordan

Component is a High def format, your TV has to support progressive. This is essentially an EDTV or a HDTV. If you have neither, you can't use component.

Component is a High def format, your TV has to support progressive. This is essentially an EDTV or a HDTV. If you have neither, you can't use component.

Sorry to jump in my tv is an EDTV and only does 480p :( with the Component...

Yeah, EDTV's only support up to 480p. They're essentially a 'cheap' way to get basic HD.

ah righty, got it back in 05 so I had no idea back then lol

Just curious, better to have 480p or use an Advanced AV Cable?

So if I can't use component cables would I be best off getting the VGA cable instead of using the red, white and yellow cable that came with the Wii? thanks

What are the 3 colours of the holes on your TV that you mentioned earlier?

Probably Red, White and Yellow :indeed: if so then that won't work as Yellow = Video while Red & White = sound, you need Red, Green, and Blue inputs on the back of your TV for component (the red input is different from the one thats used for sound as the R,G,B inputs are exclusively for video afaik) hope this helps.

Probably Red, White and Yellow :indeed: if so then that won't work as Yellow = Video while Red & White = sound, you need Red, Green, and Blue inputs on the back of your TV for component (the red input is different from the one thats used for sound as the R,G,B inputs are exclusively for video afaik) hope this helps.

I just ask because some TVs use the same audio inputs for multiple video sources. Hence why he may not have the audio connections right next to the 3 video ones.

Yes I've checked the manual and the TV it's self and the only coloured imputs are the red, white and yellow ones on the side of the TV. Thanks for clearing it up S.C.G.

When I checked the manual it only showed where to hook the PS1 up. I guess my TV is abit old! Looks like I'll be selling the component cables I bought. I'll put up a thread in the private sale section.

So would getting a VGA cable improve my picture over the red, white and yellow imput cables I'm currently using?

EDIT: sorry just checked the Wii thread and saw that the RGB cable is the best cable available to me. But could someone clear up a fact for me. If I use the RGB cable am I only able to get mono sound? Plus I've heard the RGB cable doesn't support widescreen, is this true?

thanks for all the info guys and gals, very much appreciated.

I just ask because some TVs use the same audio inputs for multiple video sources. Hence why he may not have the audio connections right next to the 3 video ones.

True, I was just stating what I know from my experience from TV's, generally yellow is used for video while red and white are used for sound but yes TV sets do vary a lot when it comes to connections and what they can be used for. :hmm:

EDIT: sorry just checked the Wii thread and saw that the RGB cable is the best cable available to me. But could someone clear up a fact for me. If I use the RGB cable am I only able to get mono sound? Plus I've heard the RGB cable doesn't support widescreen, is this true?

Afaik you can get Stereo through the RGB scart cable, through your TV at least but beware, the official RGB scart cable does NOT come with seperate red and white audio connectors so it's no good if you want to use it with a surround sound setup, there probably is a way to work around it but not without buying aditional cables and splitters, there may also be a thrid party cable that has the additional audio leads but I've yet to see an unofficial RGB scart lead for the Wii that does.

True, I was just stating what I know from my experience from TV's, generally yellow is used for video while red and white are used for sound but yes TV sets do vary a lot when it comes to connections and what they can be used for. :hmm:

No, those colours are correct. I was just implying that "3 connections" could have been 1 video, 2 audio (composite) or 3 video (component). That's why I asked for the colours.

RGB supports both widescreen and stereo (why else would it be superior)

If you want separate audio connections you can get Joytech's scart (£9.99 inc postage)