N-Europe

Dream Theater!

Joe

Over the past few months I've recently become hoooooked on this amazing band! They're a progressive rock group, with lots of influence from the heavy metal scene. Each member, bar the vocalist, is astonishingly talented at playing their instruments. They're amazing to listen to, and to watch!

I managed to go see them last Tuesday for their sold out show where, during their second set, they did an amazing cover of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Anyone else get themselves to that?

They've been around for about twenty years or so, but not many people know them...

I was wondering if any of you guys/guy-essses have heard [of] them and like them?

Over the past few months I've recently become hoooooked on this amazing band! They're a progressive rock group, with lots of influence from the heavy metal scene. Each member, bar the vocalist, is astonishingly talented at playing their instruments. They're amazing to listen to, and to watch!

I managed to go see them last Tuesday for their sold out show where, during their second set, they did an amazing cover of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Anyone else get themselves to that?

They've been around for about twenty years or so, but not many people know them...

I was wondering if any of you guys/guy-essses have heard [of] them and like them?

yep, they are very good, john petrucci the guitarist is shit hot, im always impressed when listening to him.

Yeah, I've had my rounds. I do feel they've lost their charm, though. Scenes and Images remain to be my favourite albums. Bar In The Name Of God, I thought Train of Thought was poor. And Octavarium... forgettable.

Scenes From A Memory is amazing. In fact, the Bexhill Amateur Theatrical Society are performing a play of it very soon. It doesn't contain any of the music, I don't think, but has been 'approved' by Dream Theater, who want the Society to send them a DVD of the performance if they can't get there to see it. Here's a linky

I love In the Name of God, didn't you like Stream of Consciousness, Athriller? It's "well good".

Octavarium is alright. Panic Attack and Never Enough are pretty decent.

You should check out their Live DVDs. Live At Budokan is frickin' awesome! Especially the track Instrumedly!

Anybody who's interested in keyboards 'n' stuff, should check out this new instrument , played by only a few people, including Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater. He uses it on the Octavarium tour...

Hot damn! Mike Portnoy is a legend!

He manages to play like a god, whilst still entertaining the crowd - unlike the rest of the band. I guess that's their main problem. They're amazing to watch them as they play, on the technical side of things, but they don't really get in with the crowd. James Labrie, the vocalist, tries to entertain the crowd, bless his little cotton socks, but this act doesn't disguise the fact that he's not very talented, and is a bit of a prick.

I still really like the band though, and recommend everybody to have a listen to them!

Though I don't like his singing style (or his lyrical content) LaBrie is a classically trained vocalist and to say that he doesn't have any talent is to miss the point.

The musicianship is, as you have already pointed out, astounding, but I can't bring myself to enjoy their unusual time signatures (again this isn't to detract from the quality of the band, it's purely my preference).

Though I don't like his singing style (or his lyrical content) LaBrie is a classically trained vocalist and to say that he doesn't have any talent is to miss the point.

Ok, I admit I went a little too far... Not too many people enjoy his vocals though, and he's definitely not as talented as the other band members.

The time signatures are simply crazy, but make the band all the more interesting to listen to. Their songs are almost like "pieces" rather than what we think of as "songs", which I imagine puts most people off of the band (the average 'song' is probably about 10 minutes long).

The solos, the harmonies, the crazy synthesized sounds.... Ahhh.

More fun than Pink Floyd :wink:

Images & Words is a rad album.

Some of the stuff on that reminds me of both George Michael and Michael Jackson! It's much funkier than the rest of their stuff. I guess it was released nearer to the 80s than most of their albums.

Man, the eighties were funky!