• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

No-one responded when I asked if anyone'd read JMS new Wonder Woman, but has anyone started his new Superman at all?

Just read 701, the start of Grounded. I like the concept of the story, but we'll see how it plays out. Completely different to what's going on in Wonder Woman atm. Wondy's full throttle and action-packed, why Superman is peaceful.

Yeah i wrote about it when I read it. Thought its ok but as the IGN reviewer mentioned, he needs to make sure it doesnt just turn into Superman travelling the US and addressing issues in each new town he comes to. Like the suicide or the other speeches he made.

Also the slap that started it all is pretty much thought of as stupid from everyone, I think "Cancer slap" may turn into a new saying for the comic book fans. Like how getting stuffed into a fridge has now with Kyle Rayner.

Well yeah, I hope it isn't just doing the inspirational speeches all the time. I actualy thought that the first issue would have been more thought-provoking had that woman decided to kill herself. But then I suppose the point is showing Superman saving people in "different ways".

I like the idea of Wonder Woman but I can't get over her stupid name or her retarded outfit. They should just have her called Diana. It's not like that isn't an awesome name (Godess of the hunt and all that).

I like the idea that Diana represents the Earth, Batman represents humanity and Superman the "other". I made this up, but it makes sense in my mind. Am I insane?

Which outfit? Her famous one or her new one? I assume you mean her famous one.

She's currently in this brand new one:

350.0.1.0.16777215.0.stories.large.2010.07.01.wonder.jpg

Which looks better in action/in the comics than it does there. She's just been "relaunched" with a new kinda origin, and she's relearning all her powers and mythology (an attempt to gain new readers who are scared off by not knowing her backstory/ies). it's very cool so far.

And technically her name is no worse than Batman and Superman, they just have a better ring. And she's a product of World War II, and they had to pack as much americana/inspiration into the character as possible. Wonder Woman is far more of an attention-grabbing name than Diana.

Even though, yes, it would make more sense she'd keep her own name. Obviously.

---

Daft if you're into symbolism and stuff tying together philosphical concepts and superheroic archtypes, you should read almost anything by Grant Morrison. He's my fave/the best. (I know I've said this already, but I think you might actually like it)

I agree. I think it's generally regarded as (is) good, but the content itself may not be to everyone's taste.

I just have a feeling Daft might like it. He may be a Green Lanterner like you guys in the end though. :p

---

Also - Chris Bachalo is returning to X-Men for (at least) the Storm and Gambit one-shot during this vampire storyline. I'm already aroused.

13472storystory_full-0440975..jpg

13472storystory_full-0440977..jpg

I hope the fact Dazzler is standing there is an indicator that she'll be a main character soon. She's not been an X-Man proper since the 80's, and has been in limbo since then, only recently coming back to any sort of prominence. I'd be glad to see her on the main roster. She was in the Hellbound team with Northstar (someone else who could do with being on a main roster too).

I agree. I think it's generally regarded as (is) good, but the content itself may not be to everyone's taste.

I just have a feeling Daft might like it. He may be a Green Lanterner like you guys in the end though. :p

I wouldnt say its as well regarded as you might think. Work like Batman & Robin is but then when you get into typical Morrison stories like Batman RIP or Final Crisis where he tries to be too clever or surreal I think he fails at. Both of those examples are thought of as just messes by a lot of fans. He writes interesting concepts but just fails at the execution. Too many times he will start a scene weirdly and you will feel totally lost and confused, not knowing who the people are or what they are talking about.

I think what Grant Morrisons doing on Batman and Robin with adding new villains and shit is good/great. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the rest of his work that I've read. Pretty much hated the rest of his Batman stuff so I dropped Batman. Batman is shit at the moment anyway. Its always the same moody shit.

Damian Wayne is a fucking amazing character though, so am continuing with Batman and Robin. But yeah.

And don't go dirt talking GL Paj. As if its for less intelligent people. *rolls eyes*

-------

Agree with Happenstance. I thought Final Crisis was terrible (partly because I hardly knew anyone) and RIP was terrid too)

I wouldnt say its as well regarded as you might think. Work like Batman & Robin is but then when you get into typical Morrison stories like Batman RIP or Final Crisis where he tries to be too clever or surreal I think he fails at. Both of those examples are thought of as just messes by a lot of fans. He writes interesting concepts but just fails at the execution. Too many times he will start a scene weirdly and you will feel totally lost and confused, not knowing who the people are or what they are talking about.

Well I'm still reading his R.I.P, and it's not amazing, but still pretty enjoyable. I think I may just be so used to his stuff that I kinda "pick out" the concepts, or actively just try and work out what's going on if it's not as obvious as in most other comic books. I think I also treat it as though he's done everything for a reason and to just consider what that reason would be. A healthy dose of fanboyism. :P

But no, his Batman stuff isn't his best, but I like how it's a huge big throwback to pre-crisis Batman stories in general.

And don't go dirt talking GL Paj. As if its for less intelligent people. *rolls eyes*

I didn't mean it like that, just that there's you guys who love GL and me who has NO interest.

Eh. I only ever liked Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern because he some sort of personality (Unsure, not feeling worthy of having the title etc), and with Hal Jordan I'm just not bothered. He was far more interesting as Spectre (from my experience).

I've not given their main series enough time, but I'm just not interested in the Green Lantern Corps on any level. Maybe If I read it I would be. But I can't be arsed acquiring a million comics , and definitely not buying them.

You're such a slacker. Kyle is still around, Sodam, Jon and Guy all have RIDICULOUS amounts of personality to bring to the table, and thats just the GLs. Its very much an ensemble book, and the mythos is fucking amazing. I particularly like the current storyline which is that, an unknown evil person is collecting and chaining up all the corp's entities (Parrallax, Predator etc...each corps has one) its amazing.

PS tell Chair to start the mafia today. No excuse not to.

You're such a slacker. Kyle is still around, Sodam, Jon and Guy all have RIDICULOUS amounts of personality to bring to the table, and thats just the GLs. Its very much an ensemble book, and the mythos is fucking amazing. I particularly like the current storyline which is that, an unknown evil person is collecting and chaining up all the corp's entities (Parrallax, Predator etc...each corps has one) its amazing.

Yeah, but I genuinely am not interested (enough). The entire concept of the GL corps just doesn't appeal to me. It's like...the reason I don't read Punisher or something. I have no interest at all. I might give it a try if everyone starts screaming like "The best thing ever!".

PS tell Chair to start the mafia today. No excuse not to.

He's gone to Ireland. Dunno if he brought his laptop. You'd think so though.

I might give it a try if everyone starts screaming like "The best thing ever!".

Top Sales for June

1 123.22 $3.99 MAR New Avengers (2010) 1 129,075

2 100.00 $4.99 DC Batman 700 104,748

3 94.30 $3.99 MAR Avengers 2 98,781

4 87.96 $3.99 DC Batman Return of Bruce Wayne 92,134

5 $2.99 DC Green Lantern 55 85,924

6 81.92 $2.99 DC Brightest Day 3 85,80

7 77.69 $2.99 DC Brightest Day 4 81,379

The only DC things above it were two special Batman issues. Don't know what other kind of persuasion you'd need. :/

aaand neither does your face.

bachalo returning to X-Men is good. Very good. It's about time the X-books generally had more expressive art again. I'm so, so sick of Land's reference work and the super heavy shader work on X-Force always put me off a little. I'm hoping the push the X-men seem to be getting with stuff like The Avengers being more involved leads to a creative push behind the scenes from editorial too. The franchise deserves to be on at least level pegging with The Avengers.

Dodson was the only X-artist in recent memory I actually enjoy the art of. I know it's a bit sleek and cheesecakey RE: the women, but I appreciate a defined style. The current stuff by Whilce Portacio is so generic. And whoever does Legacy too.

Land is...yeah.

Your posts don't indicate quality. :p

You're awful. :kiss:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!