Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

UK

Just finished reading Dark Avengers vol.1 trade, and I'm reminded why I loved it in the first place. Definitely gonna get the next two (though the last one isn't out and is pricey for less content than the others).

I don't think I ever read Dark X-Men...I've seen a bad review, but want to have a go. I only saw them during the Utopia crossover, which I did read.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

I read all of Dark X-Men and really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were written well and the story, even though it was a bit short was good.

I tried finishing reading Superman: Our Worlds at War today but I just couldnt. I usually like Superman stories but this one was just really poorly written and crossovers with issues of other comics made it complicated and confusing.

OMFG

I noticed in the little captions in Dark X-Men, they used a song title to describe each character, which appealed to me. Reminds me of what Chair and I do to passers-by in the street. First it was Beatles, second was Rolling Stones, fair enough, two famousies.

I'm screaming. Issue 3 is Kate Bush. Fuuuuuuu-

Nate Grey: The Man With The Child In His Eyes

Venom: Hammer Horror (So correct! H.A.M.M.E.R;s horror, etc)

Mystique: Mother Stands For Comfort (ffufufufufufuf considering Mystique uses Jean Grey's form in public and Nate assumed it was her/used her as a guide back into the real world or whatever)

Omega: Pull Out The Pin (Obviously)

Mimic: Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake

Dark Beast: The Kick Inside

I'm just stunned. It's like I'm reading the comic I'll write in the future, since it's something I'd clearly do. I'm banging my head off the desk. I haven't even read the issue yet.

EDIT: OH fuck there's more.

Iron Patriot: Big Stripey Lie (Shit! Yes. YES! THIS is perfect.)

Ares: Love and Anger

Hawkeye/Hawkeye: Heads We're Dancing

Wolverine/Daken: An Architect's Dream (yes Aerial)

The Setnry: Be Kind To My Mistakes

Ms. Marvel: In The Warm Room

I'm so happy. CHAIR!

EDIT: I'm crying. "The Dark Avengers: Them Heavy People"

Let me be weak.

Edited by Paj!

fancy PM'ing me the necessaries Paj?

also: why isn't Ms Marvel 'This woman's work'? assuming you mean Karla, it'd be perfect.

Do you mean the songs? If so I'll tryyyyy

In The Warm Room fits her whole seductress thing. But yeah.

OMFG

I noticed in the little captions in Dark X-Men, they used a song title to describe each character, which appealed to me. Reminds me of what Chair and I do to passers-by in the street. First it was Beatles, second was Rolling Stones, fair enough, two famousies.

I'm screaming. Issue 3 is Kate Bush. Fuuuuuuu-

Nate Grey: The Man With The Child In His Eyes

Venom: Hammer Horror (So correct! H.A.M.M.E.R;s horror, etc)

Mystique: Mother Stands For Comfort (ffufufufufufuf considering Mystique uses Jean Grey's form in public and Nate assumed it was her/used her as a guide back into the real world or whatever)

Omega: Pull Out The Pin (Obviously)

Mimic: Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake

Dark Beast: The Kick Inside

I'm just stunned. It's like I'm reading the comic I'll write in the future, since it's something I'd clearly do. I'm banging my head off the desk. I haven't even read the issue yet.

EDIT: OH fuck there's more.

Iron Patriot: Big Stripey Lie (Shit! Yes. YES! THIS is perfect.)

Ares: Love and Anger

Hawkeye/Hawkeye: Heads We're Dancing

Wolverine/Daken: An Architect's Dream (yes Aerial)

The Setnry: Be Kind To My Mistakes

Ms. Marvel: In The Warm Room

I'm so happy. CHAIR!

EDIT: I'm crying. "The Dark Avengers: Them Heavy People"

Let me be weak.

fc5coversk.155.jpg

"Joanni?"

fiona_apple1.jpg

"I'm still waiting..."

I am crying at the fact it feels like someone has read our collective mind. In the last issue the song titles were a joke , describing instead what their "song" would sound like. Mystique's was "a lament for the loss of an old lady and a species" or something, Mimic's was "Several lovely piano pieces, sometimes played for friends."

It just adds so much, while also being totally needless.

But yeah, I enjoyed Dark X-Men. Has anything been said about what happened to the team since? Since in the end, they're all really depressed with life.

That's #1 from One Moment In Time, which is the follow up to the bile and hate filled continuity execution of Brand New Day. Should be, uh, interesting.

I actually have mixed feelings towards BND- for all the out of character bullshit it involved, I think any Spider-Man fan would be hard pressed to argue that the results once the radioactive fallout had dispersed, have been some of the best stories of the last couple of years. The Gauntlet, especially, has been fantastic. Particularly the Rhino arc and Shed. I just hate, with a passion, how they got there.

I've seen good arguements for it, in the sense of for the sake of progression, things need to be changed and the metaphorical hair trimmed down.

However, they should really have just got a...divorce. It would just make a lot more sense and also be relatable to people and people would be less inclined to hate it since it's not a shit literary device in the first place.

I haven't read much of ASM since BND apart from recently, what else was changed by the event? Harry back to life IIRC? That seems needless.

I think ive said before but I would have easily just accepted them getting divorced, I may not have liked it but it wouldnt have messed with years worth of continuity and had characters making rediculous decisions just so it makes it easier for the writers.

That of course and the fact that Joe Q had been moaning about the marriage for years like a little child who just wanted everything to be the way he wanted it.

So just read LOADS of Ultimate X-Men. I just stopped cause for some reason issues 93-96 are hard to *find in english*.

It was enjoyable, but not great. Not much evidence of the Robert Kirkman who writes Invincible and Walking Dead, but nice enough. He balances dealing with so many characters well. I'm glad he finally brought Psylocke in! She was introduced early in Millar's run but then fucked off for ages.

---

Good week for comics for moi.

Amazing Spidey

Avengers

Thunderbolts

Return of Bruce Wayne

X-Men Legacy

When's the next Batman and Robin coming out?

Not next week either for Batman & Robin unfortunately.

My comics this week:

Return of Bruce Wayne #3

Green Arrow #1

Green Lantern Corps #49

Superman #700

Sea Bear & Grizzly Shark

Avengers #2

Just finished reading the Teen Titans trade I ordered yesterday, thought it was really good. Its a series ive never really paid attention to before now but I like all of the characters and I think i'll be getting more of the trades then move onto the Titans series as well.

Batman and Robin #13 is due to hit 8th July

just bought the first New Xmen collection, only read the first arc so far and it's pretty stunning so far

as far as this weeks comics go I'll be picking up:

Return of Bruce Wayne #3

Green Arrow #1

GLC #49

Detective Comics #866

Superman #700

Joe the Barbarian #6 (Grant Morrison mini)

Sea Bear and Grizzly Shark

Dynamo 5 Sins of the Father #1

Ultimate Avengers 2 #4

Avengers #2

Xmen Legacy #237

Powers #5

so yeah busy week, good thing I've just been paid :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!