• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

I liked it, as the premise is actually quite interesting. Considering I was so unmoved by the concept of an "Avengers in-training!" when Young Avengers already exists. But the twist/reveal makes it somewhat unique.

---

Art Adams artwork in Hulk really pisses me off. Just the way he draws Ms. Marvel. I know in superhero comics the human figure is exaggerated to inhuman extremes, but I hate when it just looks stupid.

Her tits are ridiculously BIG, with her nipples visible through what is presumably leather, and somehow the costume is cut so it somehow is like liquid on her skin? I hate shit like this. It's just distracting. Frank Cho (who, at the point I am is pencilling the She-Hulk vs. Rulk story) is guilty is doing the ridiculous tits, but I actually liked that he drew She-Hulk, Valkyrie and Thundra as ridiculously unattractive with actual extreme musculature, which they would have.

Edited by Paj!

Just read Academy and liked it. I think the characters are going to be incredibly strong, particularly with the "twist" at the end, and seeing exactly how that plays out will be pretty awesome. Maddy seems awesome already.

Also lol that I already know most of their names, and 16 or whatever issues into Secret Warriors and I barely know any. :p (Still like it though)

And Iron Man was awesome.

Good stuff still to read this week. Still got CHEW!, Nemesis, SHIELD and others to read, also picked up Bulletproof Coffin by Image from Ebay as recommended by Comic Book Club.

Paj, start Chew next. This is actually an instruction rather than a suggestion.

I probs will. (start Chew)

Let me analyse my current readings;

Uncanny X-Men/X-Men Legacy/X-Force (any and all tie-ins to Second Coming)

Amazing Spider-Man (though the release schedule for this is mind-frazzling, I'm not sure whether I've missed an issue or not..)

Thunderbolts

Avengers

Secret Avengers

Probs Avengers Academy too.

Batman and Robin

Brightest Day

Justice League

Justice League : Generation Lost

Invincible

Walking Dead (behind by 4 issues or so)

Think that's everything.

And on the trade front, I'm reading Ms. Marvel still, got X-Factor to go through too, hopefulyl both of these I'll keep collecting in trade. Also planning to get all the Morrison run of Bats. And complete Ultimate X-Men. :p

this was a good week, Nemesis #2 was really good, hopefully we'll get issue 3 quicker :)

Avengers Academy was pretty interesting, but fairly clichéd characters

Secret Six is still amazing, more people need to read this book!

Latest issue of Spider-Man has been delayed by at least two week. Next week we are getting TWO issues. The last part of Shed, and then I believe the first part of Grim Hunt.

o eye c

Thanks. I was confuzzled by the prescence of Grim Hunt approaching too fast for me.

Some of the Watchmen Heroclix set have been revealed.

Everyone's screaming at the 287 point Dr. Manhattan, because he has 7 clicks of Impervious (4 of them Super Impervious, which means he ignores damage 2/3 of the time), with 3 clicks of Super Senses and Probability Control, and all of his powers can't be countered.

Meaning you have to hit an 18, meaning on average you have to roll an 8 on 2D6 (10 attack is average), and if you do hit, he'll reroll it, so effectively have to roll an 8 twice. Then he has a 1 in 3 chance of avoiding the attack altogether with super senses, then another 1 in 3 chance of him reducing all damage dealt to zero with Impervious.

It feels stunning, because there seems to be no way to defeat him in normal circumstances with the base Watchmen set. Actually crying and hoping Rorschach lands on his exploit weakness clicks. Stunningly accurate to the source material.

Edited by chairdriver

So I've read a whole ton(ne?) of Hulk the last few days, and am now up to date.

I've enjoyed. It's nothing very special at all, and is quite poorly plotted, so things don't really make sense until it's revealed later on, but it's treated like you should've known. Dunno how to explain. I'm all for ambiguity, but it's just done strangely/badly. The amount of one-shots/tie-ins seems gratuitous too. Why couldn't The Savage She-Hulks issues just take place in She-Hulk? I'm guessing for Trade Paperback collecting purposes.

It does all appeal to my love of team-ups and stuff though. Also I felt John Romita Jr. was the only one to draw the female Hulks the way I think they should have been. Ed McGuinness does do some awesome male Hulks though.

129_world_war_hulks_1_02.jpg

^ THAT is what Red She-Hulk should look like. Imposing, really bad-ass, not like:

fohshehulks3_02.jpg

It looks ridiculous that when a female hulks out they look effectively exactly the same, or get sexier. Whereas men transform into fucking huge beasts.

Ms. Marvel didn't change at all other than her skin turning red when she was exposed to gamma rays on the Hellcarrier, but Deadpool and the others all went gigantic. It just annoys me.

But yeah. Superficially it's been entertaining, but not really worth recommending. It was a nice kinda old-fashioned feeling superhero adventure. Fall of the Hulks seems like a very dramatic title for what actually happened during the event. It was just a prelude to World War Hulks.

Ms. Marvel didn't change at all other than her skin turning red when she was exposed to gamma rays on the Hellcarrier, but Deadpool and the others all went gigantic. It just annoys me.

I havent read it but that kind of makes sense to me, she does absorb energy so it would probably affect her less.

I havent read it but that kind of makes sense to me, she does absorb energy so it would probably affect her less.

Oh good point.

I get the feeling they didn't actually think about that, but regardless it does make sense.

Same thing happened to Storm, but she did actually get taller and more muscular.

Yeah but you base that on nothing/the Heroclix figure. :p

He is so heavily pushed it's insane. I don't understand why DC want him to be so popular. Maybe to try and make a point that they don't plan to bring the original back. (yeah right).

I think they want him to be Spider-Man? Maybs.

Paj, read the rest of Chew TBH.

Also you will definitely like Locke and Key

And you should all (although I've said this before and you've all ignored - fuckers) read Scalped. Jason Aaron is the fucking man. Love everything he's doing.

I like the covers to Scaped whenever I come across them.

I'll read more of Chew, but it's not on my immediate radar atm.

I read finished Ultimate Spider-Man vol.1, (i.e the last Ultimatum tie-in issues), and I thought the ending was brilliant. As Happenstance (I think?) said here, it was so unbelievably consistant, not a single bad issue. The whole Ultimatum event was handled with more delicacy and realism in Spidey than it was in the mini itself. Obviously the mini had to encompass more "events", but still. It was done beautifully in Spidey.

Guess what? Continuing in my "Let me buy this really bad book" trend, I feel like I need the Ultimatum trade. I'm gonna buy the Spidey one (thought it was amazing), and now feel like I may as well get the main series, it might all hang better if read together (with the X-Men tie In too etc). Probably not though.

*cartwheels away*

Right then comic book chums! As we occassionally post set ups for consoles or photos of our dvd collections I thought id do the same for us for our trade/comic collections.

Heres my trades, my comics are just in two long boxes so not really interesting. Lets see your lots. (Sorry for the glare on mine, I think you can still make out everything)

SDC10367.jpg

Paj you make me so fucking sick for buying Ultimatum (proper) seriously don't give them any more money for that shit, they'll think its okay.

Nice collection Happenstance. I can't' show my collection as its everywhere, under beds, in sheds, in boxes etc. When I move out.

Whenever that is. FML.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!