• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

The Sword is indeed amazing, I've been trade waiting it though so need to hold on another month to read the finale!

Another cool/interesting/weird comic worth taking a look at is Cowboy Ninja Viking, it's got an interesting art style (same guy does Proof), story gets a little confusing (several of the characters have 3 personalities) but it's all awesome and the first trade just came out.

Anyone ever bought any of the Absolute editions that DC release for their bigger trades? Im considering getting one but as they are so pricey id like to know its worth it.

Are they the ones they do with huge pages etc?

I think I read quite a poor review of the V For Vendetta one a while ago which said that the older art work suffered terribly blown up (which is a shame as it's a beautiful book). I'm sure that's not the case for more modern art that's done digitally but it's probably worth doing your homework just in case.

I love The Sword so much. Just started issue 10, and I'm being tossed around the room.

The whole thing just evokes "I'm going to fucking kill you!" *staggers bloodily fowards*

I actually screamed when the guy vomited the instant she grabbed the sword again. Just cause of an in-joke I have with Chair about "I'm going to be sick" (at the thought of being too good in a fight).

God, nothing I request on that site is ever found. Except Daredevil and Elektra. No Peter David Supergirl run (which you'd assume people would scan, considering only the start and end was collected into trade, meaning if you missed the rest, you missed it), no Rachel Pollack Doom Patrol run, no Jeph Loeb Hulk run (!!!!) and probably others.

Yet they have some of the most obscure shit surely no one would want, like Archie meets Spider-Man and stuff. Ugh.

----

Just read We3 by Morrison and Quitely.

It;s gorgeous. A very short but sweet story. Like a twisted version of Homeward Bound. Everyone here would like it I suspect. It's incredibly universal.

There's a distinct problem with asking for that Hulk run- the scanner's believe (quite rightly) in digital preservation of the medium, whereas the world at large wants Loeb's Hulk to be erased from history like a political dissident in Stalinist Russia.

That's fair enough. I'm once again just morbidly curious. :hehe:

But you'd think if that was their mantra they'd have both the Doom Patrol and Supergirl runs I mentioned?! Especially since one cannot buy them in collected form.

Yeah that's true. I only jest, really: somewhere out there some dude genuinely has everything. Keep asking- the forum is usually super helpful but the right man to ask might not have seen you post.

aside: Genuinely great week of reading this week. Super excited.

That reminds me, has anyone ever read Hulk: Gray? Ive always heard good things about it but never got around to reading it. It is in the Hulk thread on "the site" but unfortunately the link is now dead. It looks like it was re-released last year as a hard back but I might wait a while to see if a trade comes before getting it.

EDIT: Never mind, it was in another thread

Edited by Happenstance

I like the concept of all Loeb/Sale's "colour" books. I've only read Spider-Man: Blue though. There's Spidey:Yellow, Daredevil: Yellow, Captain America: White and Hulk :Gray isn't there? Might be more I forgot.

I'm planning on getting all of Morrison's Batman run...considering I'm such a fanboy I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.

Am I right in thinking in order it's;

Batman & Son

Batman: Black Glove

Ratman R.I.P / Bits of Final Crisis

Batman and Robin

At least in trade form? Is there other stuff I'm missing?

well according to his wiki page

Batman:

"The Stalking" (text story with illustrations by Garry Leach, in the UK Batman Annual, 1986)

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth (with Dave McKean, DC, graphic novel, 1989, ISBN 1-4012-0424-4)

Gothic (with Klaus Janson, in Legends of the Dark Knight #6-10, April - June 1990, tpb, 1998, ISBN 1-56389-028-3)

Batman:

Batman & Son (tpb, 200 pages, hardcover, August 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1240-9[8], softcover, July 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1241-7) collects:

- "Batman and Son" (with Andy Kubert, 4 issues, Batman #655-658, 2006)

- "The Clown at Midnight" (with John Van Fleet, Batman #663, March 2007)

- "Three Ghosts of Batman" (with Andy Kubert and Jesse Delperdang, Batman #664-665, April-May, 2007)

- "Numbers of the Beast" (with Andy Kubert and Jesse Delperdang, Batman #666, July 2007)

The Black Glove (176 pages, hardcover, September 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1909-8)[9] collects:

- "The Island of Mister Mayhew" (with J. H. Williams III and Dave Stewart, Batman #667-669, August-September 2007)

- "Space Medicine" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #672, February 2008)

- "Joe Chill in Hell" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #673, March 2008)

- "Batman Dies at Dawn" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #674, April 2008)

- "The Fiend With Nine Eyes" (with Ryan Benjamin, Batman #675, May 2008)

"The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #670-671, October-November 2007, collected as Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, 256 pages, May 7, 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1785-0)[10]

Batman R.I.P. (192 pages, hardcover, January 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2090-8,[11] softcover, February 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2576-4) collects:

- "Batman R.I.P." (with Tony Daniel, Batman #676-681, June - November 2008)

- "The Butler Did It"/"What the Butler Saw" (with Lee Garbett, Batman #682-683, November-December 2008)

Batman and Robin:

Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn (hardcover, April 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2566-7) collects:

- "Batman Reborn" (with Frank Quitely, 3 issues, Batman and Robin #1–3, August–October 2009)

- "Revenge of the Red Hood" (with Philip Tan and Jonathan Glapion, 3 issues, Batman and Robin #4–6, November 2009–January 2010)

Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin (hardcover, September 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2833-X) collects:

- "Blackest Knight" (with Cameron Stewart, 3 issues, Batman and Robin #7–9, March–April 2010)

- "Batman vs. Robin" (with Andy Clarke and Scott Hanna, 3 issues, Batman and Robin #10–12, May–July 2010)

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne (with Chris Sprouse, 6-issue limited series, April 2010, forthcoming)

Edited by gmac

Shame about the art during Quitely's section (even though as you know I dont like his work)

*cries, mouthing "no..!" through sobs*

----

I loved The Sword. Not ground-breaking but lovely nontheless. I liked the concept of setting out to tell a single story without it being a miniseries.

I'm also enjoying Jeph Loeb's Hulk in a "...lol" manner. Think ReZ said it would be like that.

I may be bias, but having just read it, I felt Quitely's section was the most clear and easy to understand. His layouts are second to none though, so it's understandable. I like Andy Kubert a lot, but the colouring in his bit made it hard to see what was going on.

A nice story though, and cool to reference all these different possible Batmen.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!