• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Whats the difference between Forbiddenplanet.com and Forbiddenplanet.co.uk?

I always assumed .com was the US version but both seem to say they are in the UK.

Ive avoided using the .com version as I didnt want to import even though it seemed the better of the two sites.

Volume 5 collects 48 - 59 and Astounding Wolf-Man (11 I think) which is part of the crossover.

It came out about a month ago. The next one should collect about 60 - 74 ish, or probably just 60 - 70 and Invincible Returns, due to a few double sized's and POSSIBLY not wanting to interrupt the Viltrumite War. Anyway Volume 6 won't be out for ages.

--------------

Fun fact, I am the reason Volume 5 is purple. (Well its not confirmed but in one of my letters I said "Please make volume 5 purple" and it is purple.) :p

So anyway, yeah the hardcovers are 13 issues behind now.

However the latest trade I believe collects 60 - 65 so its a great catching up point, as there wouldn't be many issues to get so that came out like a week ago.

Hopefully thats clear. It probably isn't.

Did you enjoy Volume 2 Odwin?

Whats the difference between Forbiddenplanet.com and Forbiddenplanet.co.uk?

I always assumed .com was the US version but both seem to say they are in the UK.

Ive avoided using the .com version as I didnt want to import even though it seemed the better of the two sites.

I've heard a lot of bad feedback from...one of them. Can't remember which. To be honest I just avoid both of them like the plague. If its something obscure they probably don't even have it in stock anyway, and take your money and don't tell you its out of stock. Which has happened to me twice. On the bad one. But both are shit. Etc.

Oh Jeremy Renner cast as Hawkeye

Also Dum Dum Dugan in Captain America has been cast.

http://www.aintitcool.com/

I've heard a lot of bad feedback from...one of them. Can't remember which. To be honest I just avoid both of them like the plague. If its something obscure they probably don't even have it in stock anyway, and take your money and don't tell you its out of stock. Which has happened to me twice. On the bad one. But both are shit. Etc.[/color]

Its .co.uk that ive had problems with, they dont let you know which things are in stock and which are. The .com version seems to so i'll probably give them a try next week as theyve got at least one trade I need that I havent been able to find elsewhere.

Wow, that was one of the goriest Invincible issues ive ever read. I think this is gonna be another arc, similar to the Conquest one which will work loads better once in trade. The issue was still really good but it was all fight. I think as well that this is some of Ottley's best work, loved all of it.

Invincible 72

He needs a more accurate name. Damn.

absolutely epic shizz. Loved it. Ottley was just...off the hook. That splash of the crater and the trench was incredible. The Viltrumite reinforcements were amazing too. Great issue. Lots of punching (again) but it had more talking than the Conquest arc. I think it had a pretty solid balance.

Very slow comic week for me...only read Invincible and X-Men: Hellbound.

It was mildly interesting...I dunno what Gambit's story is for the last few yearshas been though, so I'm not sure what to make of him. I like that Northstar and Dazzler get to do something.

Not too many for me:

Brightest Day #3 - Very nice beginning to the issue with Deadman and a certain badguy. Kind of feel they need to do more with Aquaman and Mera, though im sure thats coming.

Invincible - You guys already know my thoughts on that, just want to mention again how awesome Ottley was.

Avengers Prime #1 - Liked some of this but not all. The beginning parts were the best with the interaction between Iron Man, Steve Rogers and Thor. Not so sure about the later development though but im happy enough to carry on reading.

I can't really be arsed to read Avengers Prime. The thought of Iron Man's old suit really annoys my eyes. And I'm not really interested in Thor or Cap.

---

What's people's views of The Dark Knight Strikes Again? It seems to be universally hated on the net, but I was watching/listening to some YT reviewers who actually felt the same way I do, and love it.

Edited by Paj!

I can't really be arsed to read Avengers Prime. The thought of Iron Man's old suit really annoys my eyes. And I'm not really interested in Thor or Cap.

---

What's people's views of The Dark Knight Strikes Again? It seems to be universally hated on the net, but I was watching/listening to some YT reviewers who actually felt the same way I do, and love it.

I havent bothered reading it. Mainly because I heard so many bad things about it but I also pretty much hated the art in DKR so it put me off it. Im sure I will read it eventually but im in no rush.

The last few issues Ottley really does seem to have upped his game a whole lot, im really loving his art at the moment.

He also just posted this on twitter:

110716568-02e2fe6ca524874bb2f05d2b447c27c3.4c096950-scaled.jpg

I can't see that for some reason, however I assume its this

29467_10150185101205581_509970580_12799891_2696040_n.jpg

Which is just....wow. Absolutely incredible front cover.

---------------

Invincible #72

Wow, that really knocked things up a gear. Of course utterly (otterly lol) loved it. Ottley was absolutely on form. This is up there with his best work for sure.

I had to fucking add sound affects and hand movements to the whole thing. The bit where Oliver flew off to get a breath was just awesome, you can just imagine a sonic boom as they all tear off at top speed, and the fight, wow! It felt like a really good round two. It was like "Yeah you already had four issues of this fight, and Vince means business now. So he took it to the extreme" Gorey and brilliant. It was brutal. Conquests face was amazing and the colouring again proved to be the best in the industry. I really hope Oliver goes fucking psycho, and just BULLETS through shit loads of the Viltrumites. That would and slash will be sick.

Issue fucking 2 of 8. God. This is so sweet. The next issues will be off the hook.

9.4/10

Gonna read Brightest Day now.

I havent bothered reading it. Mainly because I heard so many bad things about it but I also pretty much hated the art in DKR so it put me off it. Im sure I will read it eventually but im in no rush.

Oh, you'll hate this then. :blush:

Frank Miller's art on the first one is fairly accessible compared to this. Though I prefer DKSA's art. It's just incredibly unique and I kinda hate that people get so up in arms about it (the entire thing actually), as though it HAD to live up to the first one. I just take it as one big art piece and enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't. Lynn Varley's colouring is insane.

Same with All-Star Batman...though tbf it was incredibly slow and had the wrong artist on it*, but I don't understand why people are so upset by it's existence. It's not great but it's interesting as a concept. (Though I think DKSA is better for what it is)

*Though using Jim Lee plays into Miller's whole modern mission of critiquing how after his DKR, comics became darker and more gritty; he wants to focus on the awe and brightness of everything superheroic...Jim Lee epitomises that, the 90's connection, all the posing and stuff he used to include (and still does) etc etc. As a statement it works, but I think visually if he'd drawn it himself it would have gelled better.

But yeah, I want a big canvas of Frank Miller art on my wall or something...LOVE it. I wish there was more art like his in mainstream comics...or even just more painted work and other less-seen ways of comic illustration. It just makes things more interesting. People like Alex Maleev add so much.

frank_miller_901.jpg

Alex Maleev might be my favorite comic artist. He takes after Alex Ross but he's more of a fantasist. He's keyed in to a kind of lurid surrealism that makes him more interesting. His run on Spider-Woman was a brilliant take- almost poisonous and toxic in it's colouring and composition.

If a tiny Wasp was in that, I'd be creaming.

---

I just bid on All-Star Batman (trade) on eBay...I feel dirty. But I actually want it.

For some reason I seem to want things that I wasn't overly impressed with. I found myself contemplating buying Ultimatum the other day (and I really didn't like that - I enjoyed Batman marginally).

That's quite cool, though I'd be amazed if War Machine is involved.

the end of Iron Man 2 kind of hints at Rhodey piloting the Iron Man at some point but I doubt they'd waste RDJ in The Avengers by having him as a back room character. Now that Hawkeye is confirmed I really just want to hear them say they're doing the Pyms.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!