• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Right I need some suggestions. Im filling up my amazon wishlist as my family want to know what to get me.

Ive added some graphic novels but I want some ideas that I might not have thought of myself so maybe some DC stuff, other or Marvel tpbs that are good but lesser known.

Sinestro Corps War Sinestro Corps War Sinestro Corps War Sinestro Corps War Sinestro Corps War Sinestro Corps War Sinestro Corps War.

Lol. Other than that, have you tried Thunderbolts? Secret Invasion era is pretty good...especially the first stint of Ellis' run.

Erm, other than that....My minds gone blank.

Would you say Sinestro Corps War is a good place to jump on though, I mean my only GL knowledge is from the Justice League cartoons.

Yeah it is. All you need to know is (which you probably do know)

The GLC are the space police, two GLs to every sector. Sinestro used to be a Green Lantern. He turned bad and made a yellow power ring. GLs are weak against Yellow (but can be overcome)

Green is powered by Willpower.

Yellow is powered by ability to instill fear.

Its a fine place to jump on. Its pretty much where I did. Geoff Johns writing is just...god its so good. It really is.

Okay, this is a bit of an out there theory. They've made several points in the last year or so about Menaces hair being completely attached, not budging and basically saying its not part of the costume. "He" has long ginger/red hair.

And then we have Jackpot, who we are being lead to believe is Mary-Jane....maybe. Well anyway, I obviously can't explain why, but potentially I think Menace might be Mary-Jane.

Like I said....pretty out there....and probably wrong, but possible. (In a retarded way)

The twist in New Avengers was QUALITY. Its about the Hood.

His hood is Dormammus! And Dormammus spoke to him in some magic mirror, so he looks to be getting his powers. (He was asking what the hood could do, after revealing some Skrulls, and then Dormammu comes in the mirror and says he'll grant him the powers of the dark dimension.)

And it was in the middle of SI, so I wasn't expecting anything cool like this. :):heart:

so yeah. Turns out Dave Gibbons was in Leeds yesterday doing a signing.

Damn

I walked passed OK Comics on Friday and there was a queue of people and some guy signing, must have been him :P Although I was in a rush so had no time to stop and peek

Am I the only one who has found all of Secret Invasion really underwhelming so far?

Im finding it hard to think of any moments that have really stood out and no particularly good twists.

Also

Reed Richards just magically coming up with a way to find out who is a Skrull and who isnt, they made such a big deal in the first few issues that the Skrulls couldnt be detected then with no explanation Reed finds a way.

Am I the only one who has found all of Secret Invasion really underwhelming so far?

Im finding it hard to think of any moments that have really stood out and no particularly good twists.

Also

Reed Richards just magically coming up with a way to find out who is a Skrull and who isnt, they made such a big deal in the first few issues that the Skrulls couldnt be detected then with no explanation Reed finds a way.

I wouldn't say it was sudden.

Are you reading the tie-ins? The Skrulls are only undetectable BECAUSE of something that Reed came up with (the clone they made of him, they did various torturings/etc until he came up with the way for them to be undetectable) then in the first issue of SI he says hes come up with a way (as his clone did) and then gets shot in the face by Skrull-Pym.

I do however agree its been a little lackluster. I do like elements of it...like the...erm.

Wasp stuff. I hope she dies....that would be good to kill a founding Avenger.

And apparently the last panel of Issue 8 shows where all the kidnapped heroes are. Which will be quality.

Oddly enough I think thats the only tie in I did read. Still it just felt too sudden to me. I guess the SI#8 rumoured bit would be interesting, hopefully they wouldnt take too long to follow up on that

Doesn't look like they will.(but its Marvel...so who knows ;))...the January solicits looks AMAZING. Theres about 10 or so comics they can't show the picture to or give a blurb about under a "Post SI" section. Dark Avengers starts.

I can't wait...the post SI stuff sounds better than the actual SI stuff. :)

Invincible/Astounding/Walking Dead are keeping it alive for me. Whenever I get an issue of any of them it just feels like SUCH a treat. And its not caked in advertising (only Image stuff, that I might actually want at the end of the issue)

Instead of Iron Man pyjamas in the middle of a fight scene.....

Bought Batman Legends vol.2 26 today, in an attempt to restart my Batman reading.

Plus it's the perfect jump-on point, Batman RIP starts here, and has one of the Joker's Asylum stand-alones, and the beginning of a different Scarecrow arc.

Good week this week.

Astounding Wolf-Man #9

Such a treat. Pretty much every other page there was guts falling out of someones belly. So bloody and gorey. Nice little Luke and Yoda on steroids relationship developing. Excellent as always.

9/10

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #whatever.

Erm.....bit of a what the fuck.

Right, Jackpot, build up a character for 10 months or whatever, and then in THE ISSUE THAT SHE starts to get interesting, just kill her. With a healthy dosage of "Drugs are bad mmmkay" yeah no thanks.

Its a shame, because it actually wasn't bad.

7.2/10

Amazing Spider-Man #575

Hammerhead is really hard now. Liked the gang kid/his relative. It was a pretty nice and urbany issue. Also I get boners over Bachalos artwork. Hammerhead had particularly one good line of dialogue ~

Mr Negative - "I saved your life so you could do what you do best. Break things for me."

Hammerhead - "I'll break anything you point me at. But a hammer can be used to build too."

8/10

Ultimate Spider-Man annual #3

I'd heard they were gonna have sex. They didn't they just talked about it. Not as controversial as they said it would be. Still good,....but when promised sex, I get sad when there is none.

7.6/10

Final Crisis #4

Flicked cos its kinda boring and I don't know who anyone is.

Meh/10 putting the title of the issue at the end isn't cool or modern, its crap.

And this weeks fucking pizza resistance....

Rage of the Red Lanterns (Final Crisis) #OS.

*Orgasms up the walls*

Anything I say would be a bit spoilerish...but it was FREAKING sweet.

9.2/10

As I mentioned in the Post Your Purchases thread I bought some comics this week:

Got from my comic shop:

Ultimate Spider-Man #127

Secret Invasion #7

Wolverine #68

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1

Amazing Spider-Man #575

On the way from Reed.co.uk

Spider-Man/Black Cat #1-6 Set

Ultimate Spider-Man #108-110

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #3

Im really enjoying Wolverine lately with the "Old Man Logan" series. Ultimate Spider-Man #127 was pretty good, nice to see Gwen again in it. Secret Invasion pretty much a fight issue but as ive mentioned before im not the biggest fan of this event so I hope issue 8 pulls it out of the bag.

I havent read the rest from the comic shop yet and obviously the ones from Reed I will have to wait a few days but I got the Ultimate Spider-Mans for 99p each and the full Spider-Man/Black Cat series for £5.99

Just finished reading Amazing Spider-Man Annual

Thought it was ok but nothing special really, I think you are right though about Jackpot Rez

Bit of a pointless ending for her but I assume we will have another Jackpot before too long with the real one taking up the mantle. Oh and the drug messages do get very boring in comics.

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking the other day, I would love Secret Invasion to end with the Skrulls actually winning. Then for the next few years it would be the heroes and villians fighting against them trying to retake Earth.

Totally agree.

Would be amazing, but probably isn't going to happen. You are so right though. So much potential. These "Embrace change" adverts are a bit weird etc. But yeah.

I can't wait for Dark Reign. Dark Avengers, Secret Warriors, The Initiative (art by Humberto Ramos!!!) Slotts Mighty Avengers. God I cannot wait.

Havn't read the first issue yet, so no. Just the lead up to it in Origins. Ima pick my stash up on Saturday.

I'm not Loebs biggest fan though, however I am kinda hopeful for Ultimatum as it should give the UU the shake up and tightening that its needed for a few years. Also intrigued by how they are finishing X-Men and FF. Ultimate FF has been awful IMO (from around the issue 20 ish mark) and incredibly boring.

Did you like Ultimatum?

I quite enjoyed the first issue but I am cautious with it. I know Loeb isnt peoples favourite writer at the moment, especially with Ultimates 3.

I am looking forward to seeing how it all ends though and where the X-Men and FF end up along with what the Ultimates line up will be. Any idea how many issues Ultimatum is?

I quite enjoyed the first issue but I am cautious with it. I know Loeb isnt peoples favourite writer at the moment, especially with Ultimates 3.

I am looking forward to seeing how it all ends though and where the X-Men and FF end up along with what the Ultimates line up will be. Any idea how many issues Ultimatum is?

I thought it was 5....but I'm not actually certain.

Its good to hear that you enjoyed it. Hopefully I will too. Ultimates 3 didn't happen though. ;)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!