N-Europe

UK

I kinda hated how nothing was made of the fact Teddy and Billy were boyfriends. It was as thought Marvel felt it was too risky to actually build anything story-wise upon the relationship; it was just there (not even explicitly there, they don't even touch each other) and didn't affect the storyline in any way.

I loved the supporting cast the most though. Jessica Jones. Yes.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Well it was just a relationship. What do you mean by building anything story-wise on it? Like what?

Most stories are build around a relationship. Spider-Man stories were always characterised by his love-life (most obvious one being "Shit Gwen Stacey is about to die!"). Jean Grey/Cyclops/Emma Frost/Wolverine get alot of page time dedicated to their relationships. etc etc

They built upon it more in the YA/Runaways crossover, but in the original arc they might as well be just be friends and the story would be exactly the same.

Most stories are build around a relationship. Spider-Man stories were always characterised by his love-life (most obvious one being "Shit Gwen Stacey is about to die!"). Jean Grey/Cyclops/Emma Frost/Wolverine get alot of page time dedicated to their relationships. etc etc

Not really. Gwen Stacy's death was a story where the object of his love was involved. (and would be a more appropriate example in a debate about "Women In Refrigerators" syndrome)

Spider-Man was married for 20 years or something, his love life never affected the stories there. Bear in mind Jean Grey/Cyclops/Emma/Wolverine et al is part of a reltionship quadrangle spanning 40+ years...there's a lot more pages in that time than a short run like YA.

I finished YA 1-7 last night.

I like how they're doing the gay thing. The fact that it's just character flavor is pretty solid writing if you ask me- after all, a gay relationship is, and should be portrayed as such, unexceptional. There's an argument for them going further though- Clint and Bobbi have been seen waking up in bed together, for example. I assume conservative markets have something to do with that.

Clever set up, too. I like how they're really quite shit at being heroes.

Am I right in thinking that the series isn't doing anything now? I'd like to see the kids 'graduate' to Avengers status- especially Wiccan and Hulkling, who don't really have any comparable counterparts on the team right now. (Unless Strange or Drumm make the team soon)

Edited by Dan_Dare

Luke Cage is a Thunderbolt AND a "New" Avenger?

Maybe it's just me, but I completely nothing Luke Cage. From what I've read he's been written decently, but it might be because he's so uninteresting "superhero"-wise I've never been interested. No costume/uniform, boring power etc. But then I keep hearing he's so popular.

EDIT:

Dan; I read issue 1 of Irredeemable. Seems like a cool premise/I've seen it before, but I get the feeling this'll be good.

Edited by Paj!

Maybe it's just me, but I completely nothing Luke Cage. From what I've read he's been written decently, but it might be because he's so uninteresting "superhero"-wise I've never been interested. No costume/uniform, boring power etc. But then I keep hearing he's so popular.

Got something against black folk?

Ok turns out my postie 'hid' my Kick-Ass package in the waste paper bin. Totally missed the note untill my dad had already put the bin out for collection. Yikes.

Anyway! the collectors ed.

fancy name for a hardback. There's no real back material to speak of, although they do include all the variant covers (including the ensemble 1-6 ones) which is cool, and an excellent splash page of 'Kick-Ass' greatest hits' which is a montage of brutal close ups of bloodied noses, broken limbs, gunshot wounds and so on from the series. It's genius.

Other than that, it's just a really nice trade. Production values are sky high, the paper is lovely and the dust cover is a treat. The only downside is the rubber stamp 'now a major motion picture' on the dress.

Oh and Foreword from Rob Liefield. presumably written while wearing a cap backwards.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!