NEurope

For ongoings I read:

Invincible - very good but best to start from the beginning

Avengers - some of the art and dialogue have been a bit iffy but still enjoyable

New Avengers - finding its feet still i think after its relaunch

Batgirl - a lot of peoples suprise hit over the past few years, lighter side of batman stories

Red Robin - another good batfamily book

Green Lantern - in the middle of a big lantern cross over event.

Green Lantern Corps - same as GL

The Boys - Good book that ReZ has just got into as well, very graphic. About humans keeping an eye on superheroes

Teen Titans - Just getting back to a good roster and stories

Action Comics - Just finished a very good arc following Lex Luthor, 900th issue next

Ultimate Spider-Man - Always an awesome series, in the middle of the "Death of Spider-Man" storyline

Amazing Spider-Man (depending on the artist) - Not sure whats happening here, I drop it when I dont like the artist

The Fear Itself Marvel event has just started as well which could be good.

If you are going for JLA next then maybe try JLA Year One or Grant Morrisons JLA series, the first few volumes are collected in this hard cover:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JLA-Deluxe-v-Grant-Morrison/dp/1845768841/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303460902&sr=1-1

I think Paj may disagree with this but the current JLA stuff isnt thought of by most as particularly great and its most likely going to shift back to Superman, Batman etc in time for the JLA movie.

(My taste in comics is amazing, and screw you Bard, you're weird, you don't like Scott Pilgrim) but the "must read" ongoings IMO;

And these are all start from beginning kind of deals (apart from some of the Marvel stuff). IMO theres not much point reading some of these if you don't have the full story/its impactful.

- Invincible

- The Walking Dead

- Green Lantern ("hard" to get into especially atm)

- (The Boys, although I'm not yet upto date, its consistently fantast)

- Chew

- Amazing Spider-Man (if you like that kind of thing)

- Ultimates

What I meant was that I can only take being reccommended Invincible so many times :heh:

I am already up to speed on Walking Dead. Well...I've read up to 65. Polishing off Preacher atm and gonna keep going with Transmetropolitan which is kinda cool.

Cheers for the reccommendations though gaiz.

What I meant was that I can only take being reccommended Invincible so many times :heh:

I am already up to speed on Walking Dead. Well...I've read up to 65. Polishing off Preacher atm and gonna keep going with Transmetropolitan which is kinda cool.

Cheers for the reccommendations though gaiz.

Oh. Lol, well thats a very fair point then. Still Vince. It covers interesting issues too.

And The Boys is written by the guy who did Preacher and Transmet. (And drawn, for the most part by the guy who did Transmet too actually.)

Wait...Preacher was gone by Garth Ennis and Transmetropolitan was done by Warren Ellis. If its Ennis that did The Boys I'll def need to check that shit out, but Ellis is getting really fucking preachy and annoying. Especially if you read his Wired columns.

Wait...Preacher was gone by Garth Ennis and Transmetropolitan was done by Warren Ellis. If its Ennis that did The Boys I'll def need to check that shit out, but Ellis is getting really fucking preachy and annoying. Especially if you read his Wired columns.

Yeah I'm an idiot. I get confused them both. Mother fuckers.

Its Garth Ennis. The Boys = Ennis and Robertson (who did do the art on Transmet) :p

Warren Ellis' X-Men got really "..." reactions too, but I loved the feeling. Obviously the issues being delayed for such little pay-off would annoy people, but I read most of them in one go. And the characters act a bit strangely. But it's all jokes. Ellis' Thunderbolts was great though.

You should read The Invisibles, Bard.

The_Invisibles_1_800x600.jpg

Man, I think Remenders X force is quickly becoming one of my favourite runs on a comic ever. Re those evolutions images, I love how they ignored the New X-men and they included Jean Grey, its probably for the movie but I read somewhere that its also promoting the X-men Schism event that Aaron is writing (yay exciting!) He's been killing it over at Wolverine, and Jean Grey's made an appearance there too... maybe she's coming back?

Man, I think Remenders X force is quickly becoming one of my favourite runs on a comic ever. Re those evolutions images, I love how they ignored the New X-men and they included Jean Grey, its probably for the movie but I read somewhere that its also promoting the X-men Schism event that Aaron is writing (yay exciting!) He's been killing it over at Wolverine, and Jean Grey's made an appearance there too... maybe she's coming back?

Aaron is a really really awesome writer.

And yeah Uncannt X-Force is amazing. Remender is amazing. I was totally singing his praises for like...a year. (his Punisher was underrated. Badly)

It was joyous to finally read new comics yesterday. Unfortunately will have to track down tonnes I've missed out on. Mostly X-men and Ultimate stuff. And Morrison's Batman. The rest I'm over.

I love Ultimate X issue 4 coming out like 10 months after 3, when I was last reading comics. :p I don't understand delays for things like that. I liked seeing Liz Allen after donkeys years. Her "brother" was so superfluous. Hey Quicksilver. Where've YOU been?

Why does JeanKaren refuse to remember Storm, Colossus and Rogue didn't die? And Kitty. Whatabitch. Joeb's ultimateverse continues to "stun".

Btw ReZ, why can Kirkman write condensed books like the walking dead but decompress books like Invincible? But hey after a lack luster finish to the war, it was a good issue. Kirkman pulled a fast one on me, I did think that the liitle boy was

Eve's baby. But no, sad times ahead

I love Ultimate X issue 4 coming out like 10 months after 3, when I was last reading comics. :p I don't understand delays for things like that. I liked seeing Liz Allen after donkeys years. Her "brother" was so superfluous. Hey Quicksilver. Where've YOU been?

I'm really enjoying Ultimates atm. As for Ultimate X's delay - Art/Arthur Adams is apparently (very) slow (due to the detail/somewhat obviously) but he also had a baby recently. Although that only delayed Chew by a few weeks. Ahem. :p

Btw ReZ, why can Kirkman write condensed books like the walking dead but decompress books like Invincible? But hey after a lack luster finish to the war, it was a good issue. Kirkman pulled a fast one on me, I did think that the liitle boy was

Eve's baby. But no, sad times ahead

What do you mean exactly? I mean I could guess roughly what you mean but I'd like to answer the question and I would like clarification.

Also after letting the Viltrumite War mull over me, (I initially was let down by the ending) I think it was technically amazing.,

Amazing beginning (Conquest fight), spectacular and epic middle (Planet exploding) and then although not a lot happened in the ending, it sets up. It sets up EPIC shit. So major awesome really. And I bet it reads amazing in one go, which I've yet to do yet, but will soon.

I think the 'cold war' stalemate was a great move. In terms of the Invincible Universe, it'd almost be a shame to kill them off. They're such great antagonists, with such a rich character to them. Having them as a 'sleeper threat' is really clever. And of course setting Alan up as a potential major badguy...well, that's inspired. Very much looking forward to what comes next.

Alan? Dude. FFS. "Alan" sounds like a fucking coal miner or a book binder.

Allen. Jeez.

I'm really enjoying Ultimates atm. As for Ultimate X's delay - Art/Arthur Adams is apparently (very) slow (due to the detail/somewhat obviously) but he also had a baby recently. Although that only delayed Chew by a few weeks. Ahem. :p

No offence/offence but it's not like Adam's art is even that good? He's no Quitely. Who, even if you don't like him (which is a crime but I'll deal) clearly takes SO much time with his work. Adams is so cartoony in comparison.

Yeah I'm an idiot. I get confused them both. Mother fuckers.

Its Garth Ennis. The Boys = Ennis and Robertson (who did do the art on Transmet) :p

Ah fucking excellent, the art is one of the best things about Transmetropolitan. Also, just saw some Spider Jerusalem glasses on ebay. Was very tempted to buy =p. Being fairly n00b to comics, what are some peoples favourite artists? Really like the shit Charlie Adlard and Tim Sale do, in terms of composition, its really suggestive and moody, even though both have a a "thing" with faces. Dude that did Arkham Asylum is also rad.

Yeah, Dave McKean (Arkham Asylum) is stun.

My favourite comic book artist is Frank Quitely.

all_star_superman_cover_1.jpgquitely_jla.jpg

all-star-superman-10-frank-quitely-grant-morrison-jamie-grant-3s.jpg

quitely2.jpg

kid-omega.jpg

002zgqez

New_X-Men_Vol_1_116.jpg

He is best and that iz tru.

I tend to prefer the more traditional comic artists with cleaner lines and colour artists who use the more vibrant colours (and I hate Quitely's faces!). Probably why I like Ottley so much. Anyway, my favourites at the moment would be:

Ryan Ottley

Mark Bagley

Jim Lee

Ed Benes

Gary Frank (except for his obsession with Chris Reeve as Superman)

Stuart Immonen

Phil Jimenez

Francis Manapul

John Romita Jr

Ivan Reis

Ethan Van Sciver

Mike Wieringo

If you ever want to look up any artists, this is a good site:

http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/

No offence/offence but it's not like Adam's art is even that good? He's no Quitely. Who, even if you don't like him (which is a crime but I'll deal) clearly takes SO much time with his work. Adams is so cartoony in comparison.

Meh I don't have any particular feeling on his art other than I think he is very talented.

Being fairly n00b to comics, what are some peoples favourite artists? Really like the shit Charlie Adlard and Tim Sale do, in terms of composition, its really suggestive and moody, even though both have a a "thing" with faces. Dude that did Arkham Asylum is also rad.

Ryan Ottley

Invincible_60.jpg

11980730.jpg

Jason Howard (bought some of his)

16243_330029320580_509970580_9926218_6812589_n.jpg

000c32ee_medium.jpeg

Ed McGuinness

Red_Hulk_Smash_by_skage.jpg

hulk_10_coverb.jpg

Chris Bachalo

Amazing%20Spider-Man%20633_panel.jpg

025-chris-bachalo.jpg

xmen200bachalo.jpg

the_amazing_spider-man_632.jpg

Humberto Ramos

Humberto%20Ramos_Doc%20Ock.jpg

insp.jpg

amazingSpider-Man651.jpg

Chris Bachalo is probs my second-fave after Quitely. I'll buy stuff JUST because it's him doing it.