NEurope
immy

Dragon Quest IV, V, VI: The Zenithia Trilogy

Or a Game Boy Colour since they got a remake on there. Only released in Japan and the US unfortunately. I have Dragon Warrior I & II (both are one 1 cart), but not III.

Oh yeah them, forgot about them, I bought the SNES remakes (Japanese only) So yeah forgive my absent mind (I remembered they were in english might try to find the copies myself)

My Dragon Quest IX soundtrack shipped during the night which I wasn't expecting. I only ordered it because I wanted something else from Yes Asia and I needed something else in order to get free shipping and that was the only thing I could think of.

I did a huge order (Need to stop have enough as it is :heh: ) But I just can not keep away from things like this :cry:

I'm thinking about buying a DQ game. I already have journey of the cursed king for Ps2 but haven't played it yet.

So for the Zenithia trilogy, I take it that I should start with IV? Which one is the best though?

Edited by Sooj

I'm thinking about buying a DQ game. I already have journey of the cursed king for Ps2 but haven't played it yet.

So for the Zenithia trilogy, I take it that I should start with IV? Which one is the best though?

I'd say get both, they sell for £10 - £15 each now. If you can only get one, then buy IV first. V is the better game though.

Dragon Quest VI is gonna be at TGS this year, along with a couple of DQ mobile games and an arcade game.

Cool thanks. Can't believe just out of touch I am - this is just me getting back into gaming. I went through a lull but now I'm going to try and get back on form. Just completed SOTC last night for the first time (had the game since release).

But anyway, sounds good. I need a good FF replacement and DQ seems to hit the spot.

If you wanted a story time frame then start with VI, IV and V :heh:

Doesn't really matter, there is little connection with all of them, you won't lose any enjoyment if you did not play IV and VI but played V first.

I would play IV, then V, then VIII (unless VI is released before you finish V). DQV is quite a lot better than IV, but personally, I was glad I'd played IV first, as it is set after IV and there are quite a few references to it. Not a lot, but enough.

My favourite is VIII, then V, then IV. Haven't played any of the others.

I've only played IV and V of the whole DQ series and think both are two top games. V is the better game because it feels that bit more modern with its storytelling but you can't go wrong with either. A lot of people regard DQ V as the high point in the entire series.

Thanks. Now we no longer have to be taunted by Japanese players waving DQIV around in the air from the TGS trailer.

Don't you mean DQIX :laughing:

Don't you mean DQIX :laughing:

Yep. Dunno why I wrote IV. Curse you Roman Numerals!

Would love to see a direct feed trailer... make it happen, killer kirb. :heh:

Direct Feed Trailer

Good stuff! :hehe:

DQ VI is looking pretty nifty. Hopefully the job/ class system is fun!

Hopefully the job/ class system is fun!

It's not the typical Final Fantasy style, in how you can change whenever you want, you can only change when you get to a temple known as Dharma Temple, which is in Dragon Quest III, Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest IX.

It makes it more fun in terms of placing the skills on the characters when you are about to go into a cave/dungeon, because you have to make sure you think you have the right classes on your character :D

Leveling up system for classes are focused on how many battles you have done rather then exp, so if you want to lvl up fighter, you must fight 9 battles in the fighter class (Oh and battling weak monsters to gain exp for your job won't work, can only fight monsters that are on your lvl if you want it to grow ;) )

Also the plus side of doing classes, is the fact that whatever you learn, you can change classes and still be able to use the skills you learnt from the other classes.

Also another aspect of the job system in the Dragon Quest series is how you master classes and the more you master, the more classes become available so if you master Soldier and Fighter you can access a new class known as Battlemaster (There are many more to unlock so I am not really spoiling it at all)

It's just awesome :D

You will be spending many hours making your characters stronger with the job system ^_^

Just talking about it again makes me want to go back and play again xD

Thanks for all the info and not for spoiling stuff! I've not really read up that much on DQ VI other than what little there has been mentioned of the DS remake, so I know next to nothing about it at this point. The job system definitely sounds nice and flexible from what you said so it should be fun to play around with it! :santa:

I really like job classes for some reason (Final Fantasy III is my favourite FF), so Dragon Quest VI could be my favourite out of the "Zenithia Trilogy".

By the way, I did finish Dragon Quest V a few months ago and I meant to post a review, but didn't. I'll just say that it was a great game and one that I enjoyed it much more than IV. The graphics were great, with some of the enemy sprites a joy to behold, with Sega Saturn-like sprite-scaling and animation.

The musical score was one of the best. "Melody of Love" is stunning, and one of my very favourite Koichi Sugiyama tunes.

As for the storytelling, I felt very involved and there were many "wow" moments. On a slightly negative note, I almost felt it was too epic, with too much time passing over the course of the whole story and the enemies winning too many victories. But hey, that was the theme of the game and it all came together well in the end.

One thing I particularly liked...

...was how you were looking for the Legendary Hero. I won't say how or if you find him, but that was very refreshing. Another thing is that I even felt a bit of romance (!), caused by having to make decisions yourself and not just watching it in a cutscene.

Also, I forgot to say, I loved the "beastmaster" aspect, but it was slightly undermined later in the game by having so many human characters.

I really like job classes for some reason (Final Fantasy III is my favourite FF), so Dragon Quest VI could be my favourite out of the "Zenithia Trilogy".

Dragon Quest VI is what would happen if you decide to put all the elements from all the other Dragon Quest games all into it. Although only negative too it is that it's not as 'story driven' as what Dragon Quest V was. But still just like the other Dragon Quest games, perfect :D

As for the storytelling, I felt very involved and there were many "wow" moments. On a slightly negative note, I almost felt it was too epic, with too much time passing over the course of the whole story and the enemies winning too many victories. But hey, that was the theme of the game and it all came together well in the end.

Thats what makes Horii games so fucking awesome, they always fit into place in the end, everything comes together like a jigsaw puzzle and when those little surprises in the story happen, you just have to smile at how truly clever it is.

...was how you were looking for the Legendary Hero. I won't say how or if you find him, but that was very refreshing. Another thing is that I even felt a bit of romance (!), caused by having to make decisions yourself and not just watching it in a cutscene.

Also, I forgot to say, I loved the "beastmaster" aspect, but it was slightly undermined later in the game by having so many human characters.

I was so happy seeing how the story panned out so you find out that you were not the 'true hero' like every other JRPG usually have for the main character, but too know that it was your son that is the hero in the game ^^

After I got Golem with falcon blade, that was really it. I used Nera since she was the best out of the lot when it comes to the battles, have your son, hero and also Golem, and your basically unstoppable :D

A shame you did not like Dragon Quest IV, I truly loved the game and the characteristics of the characters. Pissed off that the party talk was not put into it in the US release, since a lot of the characters truly had some of the best personalities within the Dragon Quest series.

Edited by killer kirby

You can still understand why DQ IV would be less appealing. Its got bags of charm but it shows that its an older game which guides you less, like older RPG's tended to do. It has bags and bags of charm (I love it, even without party talk!) but in DQ V you get caught right up in the story so much more than in IV.

I've left the post game stuff in both titles for a later date, but I may have to jump back into DQ IV in the run up to VI to spend a bit of time mucking around with Torneko Taloon and the crew again. :grin:

They have a release date for VI already? I hope we get it early 2010, before IX.

They have a release date for VI already? I hope we get it early 2010, before IX.

Don't pray on it.

Plus this is one series I don't want any out in March (I like to see sales good for awesome games, won't happen when FFXIII bombards everywhere)