NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
McPhee

Mah new comp!

Been trying to spec this up for a couple of weeks now and i've finally come to the end. I've got a few phone calls to make tomorrow with regards to availability but other than that this looks like the spec:

Case - Antec Sonata III inc 500W PSU - £70.83: http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?id=14038 (Scan have no stock and eBuyer are £80!)

CPU - AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ - £101.05: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=640628

MOBO - Asus M2R32-MVP ATI Xfire Xpress 3200 - £57.56: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProductID=641009

RAM - Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 - £67.73:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=255300

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint 250GB - £37.87: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=247245

DVD - Samsung Lightscribe SATA drive - £18.79: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=466662

GPU - ATI X1950Pro 512MB - £85: Phoning eBuyer to find out if/when they are due more in, if not i'll prob get from Scan (for an extra £8!)

Any thoughts? Anyone notice any stupid mistakes? (i've made a few, i think the people over at buildyourown.org.uk will be glad to see the back of me!)

Oh, and i need a monitor. Any recommendations?

The specs look pretty good... Cept you should get an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu... But if you did that, you would have to get a new mobo, and RAM.

Don't forget a keyboard and mouse!

And I'll say it again and again Dell have top notch monitors, unless your on a budget then Acer ones seem pretty good for the price.

The AMD 6000+ has similar to better performance than the E6700 and it's 50 pounds less.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a better option from nVidia for that graphics card, I would find out but I can't find any benchmarks for it.

I remember telling you of the one in Aldi going on sale 2nd August

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, 1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB

Vista Home Premium

320GB Hard Drive

2GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8400GS with HDMI connection and DirectX 10 support

A keyboard and mouse

Digital TV

No Monitor though for £399.99. Steal I think.

(Companies do so well spreading all that info out on 2 A4 pages don't they?)

Vista Home Premium

320GB Hard Drive

2GB RAM

A keyboard and mouse

Digital TV

Holy shit really? I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a better option from nVidia for that graphics card.

Exactly what I thought. Doesn't the GF 7900 GTX beat that card?

Don't get an Aldi PC. I know of a few friends who got those. Sometimes you get lucky an they are not faulty but quite often the components work but not very well. So the USB Hub randomly kicks connected things or there are RAM Problems etc.

Don't get an Aldi PC. I know of a few friends who got those. Sometimes you get lucky an they are not faulty but quite often the components work but not very well. So the USB Hub randomly kicks connected things or there are RAM Problems etc.

I don't understand. It's a Medion pc. If anything it's Medions fault really. Aldi only buy the computers and put it on sale (at ridiculous prices).

I tought Medion were quite reliable.

Core 2 Quad is where it's at.

Shhhhhhh! Don't talk about that, as I need to back up my statement of taking the top of the benchmarking thread. :heh:

No point in getting one though unless you're into crunching video or using any DCC apps.

Think im gonna swap to a C2D (or maybe C2Q), the AMD procs may be better in price:performance but an overclocked C2 procsessor seems to be the way to go!

Any Mobo recommendations? This is the part that confuses me, most bloomin sites only recommend £80+ gaming mobos :(

I don't understand. It's a Medion pc. If anything it's Medions fault really. Aldi only buy the computers and put it on sale (at ridiculous prices).

I wouldn't trust any company that goet sued for selling "HD Ready" TVs that have no HD capable connections, despite claiming to take 720p over component. Even if that was a TV and this is a computer, im suspicious from the off...

Any Mobo recommendations? This is the part that confuses me, most bloomin sites only recommend £80+ gaming mobos :(

Aren't you meant to be a Tech mod? :blank:

Yeah my friends PCs are Medions too and they got them from Aldi as well. The thing is they work but they usually have some flaws. One friends has an USB Hub that disconnects devices randomly during file transfers and the other one has a broken Firewire connection.

And if something is faulty Medion don't give you something new but a repaired part that originally came from another computer. Then they take your faulty part with them and repair it and another one gets your part.

And most of the time they get even more cut down graphics card they specifically order. If your unlucky you won't be able to install any driver upates because they are not officially supported.

Aren't you meant to be a Tech mod? :blank:

dnt mean i know everything

Im more of a software person tbh, this is a new game to me. Just because im tech mod doesn't mean i've been there and got the t-shirt, it just means i know how to use google properly :indeed:

I was actually going to post about that Medion pc, it's got a three year warranty and I am typing this out on one right now and it has no problems. It's about 3 years old and still works really well.

Just wondering though is £399.99 not a good price for all that? Everywhere else I have looked is alot more expensive for the same spec.

Vista Home Premium

320GB Hard Drive

2GB RAM

A keyboard and mouse

Digital TV

For that price it looks pretty good.

Graphics cards abit cheap though

8400GS? Yikes...

Anyway, Shorty that mentioned Core 2 Quad.

Do you know of any game that even uses dual core yet? Nevermind quad core :D

There are a few games that support dual core actually, I think supreme commander is one of them. Alan wake is going to do quad core. I wouldn't recommend it however, considering the budget.

Correct. Actually lots of game use dual core, AOE3, F.E.A.R., B&W2....

I stand corrected.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I have played all the games Shino said, back on my old machine which was single core.

Ah well.

Bump

I just made my purchase. Specs have changed a lot though:

Mobo - Biostar TF560 A2+

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300

RAM - 2GB OCZ ATI Crossfire

GPU - Sapphire Radeon x1950 XTX 512MB

HDD - 250GB Samsung Spinpoint

DVD - Samsung SATA DVD-RW

PSU - Corsair HX Series 520W

Case - Thermaltake Soprano

Just trying to decide on a monitor, will probably try and haggle Comet's price on the HP W2207 down a bit (currently £230, i've got £200 left at the very most!)

The CPU is going to need a beast of an overclock to bring it up to standard, it's only clocked at 1.9GHz. This article gives me confidence though: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3051

EDIT: Grrr! CCL just emailed me to say they can't get my parts here until next Thursday! Gonna have to phone them up and find out why in the morning, i didn't pay for next day delivery to wait a week!

Sign in to follow this