N-Europe

Digital Rights or Digital Signature?

Cube

DRM or DS?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. DRM or DS?

• Digital Rights Management
    • Digital Signature

Which one do you agree with more? Digital Rights Management or Digital Signatures.

DRM is basically a locked music (or video) file, which requires a password to play it. The major problem with it is that you generally need to use the correct music player, and it won't work on all Digital Media Players.

Music protected by a Digital Signature allows the file to be played on any computer, with any software that supports the file format. However, some of your details are held within the file, so you can be traced if you share it.

Of course, there's one very easy way to "break" both of these - burning the music to a CD, then ripping it off it.

I myself prefer digital signature, but I don't agree with iTunes charging extra for it. So, you get a higher quality file...but why can't we have the same quality with a digital signature?

Or not use iTunes and those other pain-in-the-ass download sites. Once or twice i've wanted ONE song, so ive asked someone to send it me.

1. It's m4a, fucking iTunes, i don't use itunes, therefore i need a covnerter BUT:

2. if it's been downlaoded from iTunes, i can't convert 'cause of the DRM.