NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
chrizkerr2

Firewalls

So I got my spanking new Computer today, which I am loving (Vista <3 ) but now Iam stuck on what Firewall to use...

On my previous Computer I was using Zonealarm, it was fine, did everything I needed etc. But now Zonealarm just cause's more problems then fixes for me. Was having trouble with Bittorrent and Windows Media Center, but uninstalling ZA fixed it...

So can anyone recommened my a good Firewall? Preferably a free one... Or should I just keep using Windows Firewall?

Personally I don't see what's wrong with Windows' own firewall. I always liked Zone-Alarm but like Odwin had to switch due to incompatibility, with Avast! anti-virus in my case. Comodo I can also reccomend.

I use no firewall since XP's SP2.

I'd never trust a windows firewall.

I have ZA, does the trick for me, but as you're having problems with that, I'd go with Odwin's advise. He is the man with the know how.

I never really thought of using any other apart from Windows.

It does it's job fine, on Vista.

I use Prevex1, it does everything (it even bakes cookies!), not just act as a Firewall, and unlike others on XP, it actually works!

I use Sygate Personal Firewall, but they're discontinued the free edition since Norton or one of those took over ... I use Comodo on my laptop, so I'd have to recommend that.

Windows (at least xp, don't know about vista) firewall and hardware firewalls are pretty much useless if you get infected by some malicious software. That's why the best option would be to have both, hardware and software firewall.

Comodo, sunbelt-kerio, and sygate are those that I have used. But it seems there isn't a vista compatible version of those. I have also tried jetico v1 as it's freeware, but that was really... "interesting" to configure.

Sign in to follow this