NEurope
jammy2211

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

So I hear the clatter of the letterbox, I rush downstairs and open the front door to the porch...And there is only a letter to my older brother. Needless to say I felt really gutted. I bring his letter inside and put it on the windowstill, as i walk past the front door the mailman comes back to the door with my package from Amazon. Boy was that a relief. Played for about an hour and Emil is finally able to fight properly (Thank god for that). When the TV is free I'm off to play some more.

I got brawl to work again, i guess this game can join Little King's Story & Okami in my Dungeon of Games-I-Should-Like-But-Don't-Get-Past-The-First-Chapter.

14 hours in now

Just cleared Regal's name at Izooled

My monster collection has started to grow, of course with the other characters from the first game locking out my battle roster, might have to mix it up now a 5th character from the story has joined my group.

Completed it earlier, 27 hours apparently. I know I could've it quicker if I went at it hardcore. Didn't bother with any of the Katz quests either.

Completed it earlier, 27 hours apparently. I know I could've it quicker if I went at it hardcore. Didn't bother with any of the Katz quests either.

Whats your overall thoughts on the game, Eevil?

Well maybe that's where my time is going then as I've done a good few but the rewards don't seem too great at the moment. Maybe once I get to the business end of them, the ends will justify the means.

I'm at the Temple of Lightning still at the moment as apart from 15 mins yesterday, I've not played since the weekend. Without trying to give too much away, this definitely feels like the laziest part of the game from a creative perspective...

21 hours in now.

Currently in Syback waiting to gain admittance into the Lightning temple

Emil is at Level 40 and Marta at 39. The skits are mostly really enjoyable, all the banter between the old and new characters brings back memories.

Whats your overall thoughts on the game, Eevil?

The two main characters are insanely annoying until the last 10% of the game when you begin to get used to it. Nostalgia is taken to the pr0 max with all the old characters and locations [complete with original music]. Good as it is, it seems a bit lazy on their part for doing all this. Also enhanced by the monster collecting. Which like Pokémon gives for a diverse squad, but it's the wrong sort of RPG to try and get away with this. These RPG's are about characters with much history etc. To those who have played the original Symphonia might feel a little cheated by the lack of a new squad under the veneer of nostalgia. Graphics on the whole are alright, except for a few cutscenes... I almost threw up, it was like watching a cutscene from a DS game stretched to fit my TV. I'm still tempted to write a review actually.

And Richter [who didn't make it to the party] would be a dead ringer for Kratos if he didn't wear those glasses.

A little gripe I have with the game is the skits execution, they generally come at you all at once and only new ones you get are when you end a story cut scene, then 3 skits one after the other in quick succession.

About 3 hours in, enjoying it so far.

You're seriously only now playing it? I'd have thought you were one of those who played the American version.

EDIT:

I am disappoint with the lack of Presea after reaching the 25 hour mark. She's the only original Regeneration journey character that hasn't made her appearance yet. Currently at the Lezareno company.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

No, I've been going on about how I was waiting for it to arrive. Fighting to play this and assassin's creed and fit study in.

Well I'm on the last Chapter now with some 37 hours on the clock. It's definitely the Katz quests sucking my time up but they are starting to offer some ok-ish rewards now. Well, its not so much the reward for beating the quest as it is the items in chests I'm picking up along the way. Instead of offering relatively useless synthesize items (as well as junk) I'm finding artes and special techniques for monsters.

But the rank 5 quests say I should be level 80 but that seems a bit of a leap at the moment as I'm in the late 50s. My creatures are that high so maybe they won't be too bad.

My party now consists of my Fenrir and Orca still, but I've swapped out the other pair. Now I have a Cerberus and a Tiamat with good stats but if I want to do the colosseum, I'm either going to have to evolve them and take their levels back to zero, or find some new beasts.

I suppose I could fire it up and get some quests done. At the end I made a copy of my save before I took the plunge into the RPG staple "Otherworld".

Finally Finished the game, clocked in 40 hours and got to Level 72 with Emil and Marta. It's a fun little game and worthy enough to be a sequel I felt.

Well given the cut scene and skit I had, I'm guessing I must be at the point right before the last fight, so I decided to turn back and go top side to do some more quests and see if I trigger any events by visiting different people before I'm past the point of no return.

Did anybody else see...

... the scene with Yuan talking to Kratos? Good to see everyone's favourite mercenary made at least a little appearance.

Might just skip this one and wait to say my Graces. (Poorly constructed sentence but you get the idea)

Did anybody else see...

... the scene with Yuan talking to Kratos? Good to see everyone's favourite mercenary made at least a little appearance.

I managed to see it back when I played the game.

one of the better bits of the game in terms of continuing the story from the first. The main problem I had with the game was it just didn't feel like the next thing that was happening, more just a side-story. I'd still love to see a real sequel made by Team Symphonia.

I managed to see it back when I played the game.

one of the better bits of the game in terms of continuing the story from the first. The main problem I had with the game was it just didn't feel like the next thing that was happening, more just a side-story. I'd still love to see a real sequel made by Team Symphonia.

that he said it'd be out of range soon but obviously it must come back at some point due to the events of Phantasia. As a giant floating mass of mana hurtling through space, it seems strange it would find itself in the exact same place unless it was that the half elves could control it's direction. Though since it was dying, it would make sense that they'd come back to the planet where there was a tree born of their great tree to get a seed if they could.

I've still not beaten the end boss (on account of not playing anything today) but I can't imagine it affecting what I'm about to say...

I think my biggest problem in this game is with the story - in particular the centurion core stuff. I just felt it totally undermined the significance of the summon spirits in both the original and Phantasia.

Suddenly, something that nobody as ever heard at any point in the world's history is the most intrinsic thing to it's survival and has been around forever...

I'd have preferred something that sets in the motion the formation of the Thor, Odin and Fenrir factions that went to war between Symphonia and Phantasia.

that he said it'd be out of range soon but obviously it must come back at some point due to the events of Phantasia. As a giant floating mass of mana hurtling through space, it seems strange it would find itself in the exact same place unless it was that the half elves could control it's direction. Though since it was dying, it would make sense that they'd come back to the planet where there was a tree born of their great tree to get a seed if they could.

I've still not beaten the end boss (on account of not playing anything today) but I can't imagine it affecting what I'm about to say...

I think my biggest problem in this game is with the story - in particular the centurion core stuff. I just felt it totally undermined the significance of the summon spirits in both the original and Phantasia.

Suddenly, something that nobody as ever heard at any point in the world's history is the most intrinsic thing to it's survival and has been around forever...

I'd have preferred something that sets in the motion the formation of the Thor, Odin and Fenrir factions that went to war between Symphonia and Phantasia.

The final boss isn't the final battle.

In the end in order to restore the worlds balance completely Ratatosk begins using all mana in the world to seal the door of the Ginuungagap hereby re applying the way the world was before the Kharlan tree appeared, so summon Spirits will eventually cease to exist. However this is the normal and good ending, the bad ending changes nothing except Emil kills himself to become a seal on the door of the Ginuungagap, but this is the bad ending and you can't start an ex game until you achieve the normal/good ending, pretty much works like a game over. Though there are 3 endings I think the good and Normal ending are pretty much the same only you get a cutscene at the end of the credits which gets Emil and Marta the Title Perfect Partner for the good ending.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Got to Izoold now. I like the game a bit better than i did last time, but it really seems worse than the original in every way.

Monsters fighting is a cheap way of reducing characters.

Emil & Marta are really annoying (i DO like tenebie).

Synthesizing doesn't make alot of sense with 193871 items to get.

The puzzles are horrible, mostly due to the dungeon lay-out being extremely straight-forward.

I tried like 5 quests and already i had 3 where i had to go into the same dungeon?

The only reason I'm still playing this game is cause i loved ToS. The battle system is still fun as well (but again, worse than the original)

All this talk about how this isn't as good as the original makes me want to play the first one again :/ Anyone know where I can get it cheap? I'm ebay is my only option eh..

All this talk about how this isn't as good as the original makes me want to play the first one again :/ Anyone know where I can get it cheap? I'm ebay is my only option eh..

I'm guessing you've not looked at the prices for the original on ebay if you think it's going to be cheap...

Well, I've finally completed this game today with the good ending and on the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My biggest bug bear still remains with the plot though, and what was with the horrendous compression used in the cutscenes in the last area...

I played this with a friend today, really enjoyable, way better than the stupid computer AI. And I really love the way it keeps everyone on screen. A question I kept asking a while back that everyone dismissed.