NEurope
Retro_Link

Zelda Wii: Not anytime soon!

Nintendo won't release a new console in 2010 in any scenario. The next Zelda will be on Wii; it'll just take a while. Not a big surprise to be honest.

Thing is though, Nintendo will have issues keeping us happy the next years. Mario is out this year, and usually goes at a rate of one per home console. Metroid will be put in the freezer for some time now the Prime trilogy ends and Retro Studios gets the freedom to focus on other games. And now Zelda appears a no go anywhere before 2010. The big names will require some waiting, and I can hear the 'fanboys' now.

To replace the big three my hopes are on Pikmin and Star Fox. For the rest, I hope we get some great new franchises from Retro Studios and Monolith that are worthy to be substitutes for the Big Three Adventures.

Very true!

Nintendo will have to reley on its secondary line-up of franchises like...

Pikmin, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Nintendo Sports... Waverace/1080/Excitebike/truck etc...

Hopefully Disaster Day of Crisis will deliver, then yeah like you said hopefully Monolith can offer something next year, but the next Retro title won't be before 2009 at the earliest!

I am glad. Zelda is traditionally a game that comes out every 3 years or so and each time the games are fuckin epic.

Leave Nintendo to their production values and you will end up with more of a groundbreaking product.

Bloody moaners

QFT.

-Can't remember the character limit here-

something i remembered Nintendo saying... the new Zelda will be for the cube (in the end it was for the Wii but the cube just got the downgraded version of it)

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8160/1/Aonuma_&_Miyamoto_Talk_Wii_Fit,_Zelda_&_Mario_Galaxy

Nintendo Wii/DS News | Aonuma & Miyamoto Talk Wii Fit, Zelda & Mario Galaxy

Aonuma said he has ideas for the next Wii Zelda, but he joked that Miyamoto initially responded, "No, you idiot" since it is too early to discuss that;

Aonuma was asked about the possibility of a direct sequel to Twilight Princess, with 1:1 sword fighting using the Wii Remote, to which he replied "Would you like that? We're still evaluating...";

Talking about the simplified controls for Phantom Hourglass on DS, Aonuma stated having streamlined gameplay has been effective, but Nintendo is still waiting to get feedback from Europe and the U.S. once Phantom Hourglass is released before deciding whether to make it the norm for future games;

Aonuma was the Producer of Phantom Hourglass, rather than taking on the usual Director's role. But he worked closely with the new Director, something he may consider doing in the future again so he can create "something original" as well;

He also mentioned how he has thought about how Link would react in a contemporary or World War II setting, but has not given much thought to how he would create a Zelda game in such a different world;

The Great War of Hyrule = YES!!...

A contempory/World War setting = GET OUT NOW!!!

People need to stop talking about a contempory/futuristic Zelda or else Nintendo may actually be stupid enough to listen!

1:1 sword fighting

contemporary or World War II setting

No, just no. That would be horrible.

One simple question. For those that were disappointed with Twilight Princess, do you want another Zelda game that'll make you all edgy, sad and increase your blood pressure and have implications on your personal wellbeing/health as a result of not meeting your personal expectations?

Haha. That made me chuckle.

No, just no. That would be horrible.

Agreed. Zelda has a fantasy setting, it wouldn't fit in the modern world. Making a Zelda game about the Great War would be hard enough.

Agreed. Zelda has a fantasy setting, it wouldn't fit in the modern world. Making a Zelda game about the Great War would be hard enough.

I'm not sure if you're right about this, actually. Okay, you don't introduce guns and all, but something in the way of the Skies of Arcadia futuristics would be awesome. But without the guns, though.

something i remembered Nintendo saying... the new Zelda will be for the cube (in the end it was for the Wii but the cube just got the downgraded version of it)

Yes, next Zelda could end in the same way as Zelda TP.. in between two consoles..

I'm not sure if you're right about this, actually. Okay, you don't introduce guns and all, but something in the way of the Skies of Arcadia futuristics would be awesome. But without the guns, though.

Maybe that would work, in fact, City in the Sky in TP is kind of like that, but 'World War II' settings in Zelda are ridiculous.

I'm getting bored of the past, Zelda at least needs to advance a century or two, doesn't need to be modern but they need to do something different with the next title; it needs to be a big departure from the usual setting.

Hyrule on it's own clearly isn't as great as it used to be.

I'm getting bored of the past, Zelda at least needs to advance a century or two, doesn't need to be modern but they need to do something different with the next title; it needs to be a big departure from the usual setting.

Hyrule on it's own clearly isn't as great as it used to be.

So imagen a world like the on of Skies of Arcadia, but without the floating islands. One big world with technology and ancient castles living together.

What I really want, though, is to see the ancient Hyrule crippled. What if the old Hyrule castle was destroyed with the ruins remaining and people who had forgotten about the legends. I imagen a land where there is war. Where all evil is gathering. I want to see the episode of Zelda where Ganondorf finally gets killed and thee legend sort of ends.

So here's what I came up with:

The Link of The Wind Waker founded a new Hyrule hundreds of years ago. Every race got a watchtower that reached high into the sky, but most of the six towers are now just ruins. In the center of the world lies one last tower to protect the people, and surrounding it is a gigantic city, fields as far as the eye can stretch, mountains and forests beyond that. Now imagen that in the North Ganon's tower appears and the soul of Ganon is all that remains and it is gathering all it's power for one last strie (Since Ganon was stonefied in the Wind Waker but not killed, since he holds the triforce - he has no body anymore). The story would be something of gathering the ancioent artifacts that helped the heroes to defeat Ganondorf time after time again. The Ocarina, The Wind Waker, the Master Sword, ... All the artifacts. Now wouldn't that be more itneresting than collecting tons of amulets and colored diamonds? I think so, yes.

I want one Zelda to rule them all.

I'm not influenced by The Lord of the Rings. At all.

Perhaps we could have a Zelda game that retains an overall fantasy setting, but revolves around some ancient and long lost technologically advanced civilisation. Link would have to search through its ruins in order to discover some kind of secret behind Hyrule's past. Perhaps the nature of the godesses themselves could be adressed.

(MINOR?) SPOILERS BELOW ABOUT TP

============================

TP actually already touched upon this theme (finding stuff out about some ancient civilisation) briefly with the whole Occoca thing, although their civilisation didn't seem as advanced as they sometimes claimed it to be and it was merely a side story.

Perhaps the idea of having Zelda based in a Steampunk-style era would be a good move (like in Final Fantasy 6).

Isn't Medieval/Steampunk starting to become a cliché, though?

I think they should give Zelda the present-day

Eternal Darkness/Neverending Story treatment.

Say some kid stumbles across the book of Midori (sp?) at the local bookstore, takes it home and gets sucked into several eras of the Triforce struggle, including more current ones.

It could work!

I think they should give Zelda the present-day

Eternal Darkness/Neverending Story treatment.

Say some kid stumbles across the book of Midori (sp?) at the local bookstore, takes it home and gets sucked into several eras of the Triforce struggle, including more current ones.

It could work!

That's exactly the crappy story that FInal Fantasy Advance had. And that game sucked. There's no need at all to make the story go for a present-day setting. Fantasy never works in such a setting. It needs to be in the past or the future because the present days never look as interesting.

Maybe something on 'The Legend of Zelda: The Global Warming', where link gathers the sages to talk about the overheating of Hyrule that has occured since Ganondorf was defeated and there where no black clouds to keep the sun away anymore. Okay, it should be called 'The legend of Zelda: The Global Dimming', but you all get the point.

A Zelda game should remain a Zelda game though. All this setting change talk are basically desires for other franchises like Skies of Arcadia and Lord of the Rings. There's no need to be overconservative with the franchise, but if you want another game then stop wanting Zelda to be that game.

All we can do really is just wait and see what the outcome will be of what they make ^_^

That's exactly the crappy story that FInal Fantasy Advance had. And that game sucked.

Thats not what i had in mind at all......though i agree that FFT Advance sucked.

The concept worked beautifully in Eternal Darkness though.

I was thinking more along the lines of, say, the present-day Link kid needs to shrink so he goes back to the Picori era to get the Minish Cap, or maybe he needs to learn a high jump spell so he goes back to the AOL era to learn it from the old man in Rauru.

So its been done before, but it would be a great way to tie all the Zelda games together and make some sense of the series timeline