N-Europe

Just got 8mb but....

Hero-of-Time

I recently upgraded my internet connection to 8mb and got my confirmation emails saying that everything has been verified. The problem is though that nothing seems any faster on my PC.

I have checked my network connections status on Windows and it says 100.00mbps which is what it was at before I upgraded so im figuring nothing has changed. I really dont have a clue about all of this stuff as I thought once I upgraded that everything would just speed up automatically then that would be that.

Any help regarding this matter would really be appreciated.

How long has it been since they switched you over?

It was on Friday that everything got confirmed.

100mbps sounds like your connection to your modem/router not your internet speed.

Try an online speed test like http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Just did that test and got these results.

Download 463kbs

Upload 360kbs

That cant be right can it? Thats less than a meg for download speed isnt it? Im very conused.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

This is normal, it can be up to a week for the 8mb to stabilize, if it's not working fine by next friday you should call your ISP.

Also, try restarting your router, that might help.

EDIT: VVErr, guys, I already answered the question.VV

Also he's getting less than half a mbit, not half of 8mbits

Well, that looks like about half of what you're supposed to be getting.

See, when they say 8mb they mean 8 megabits, which is 8 million bits. Bits are smaller than bytes, there are 8 bits in every byte. What this means is, basically, divide the speed of your connection (8mb) by 8 (amount of bits in a byte) to get the 'real' speed.

Also, something to keep in mind:

b=bits

B=Bytes

As Shorty said, the 100Mbps on the connection status is the computer - router connection, basically how fast data can transfer between the two. As for those speeds, those are most definitely less than even 1Mb! Are there any sort of conditions associated with your 8Mb package that would affect whether or not you get top speed?

Secondly, does anyone else share the same connection? If someone else was using alot of the connection at the time you tried the speed test, I believe the results would be affected, though that'd be quite a drastic effect for 8Mb.