N-Europe

GC causes TV flickering?

Konfucius

Our TV - we only have one so everything is attached to it - Video Recorder, DVD Player and GC - has some flickering, the TV has 3 AV Channels but somehow I can only use two at a time so one device isn't connected what normally is my GC.

On AV2 where I connect my GC - when I want to play - started some flickering about a year ago and now the other AV Channels also have this flickering and screen disruptions when playing DVDs and Videos, even some of the TV Channels are affected.

The flickering is however not permanent, there can be a day without flickering and then one with flickering. The strange thing about it is, when I had my GC connected to the AV2 port for a few weeks there was no flickering when playing GC at all.

But my dad claims that Videogames in general harm the TV while I on the other hand say that it's a crap TV and we should get a HD one - the TV is about 15 years old.

So my question is:

Do Videogames harm the TV and shorten its durability?

Guest Offerman

Yea, the TV is shot, replace it. But you don't really need a HDTV, because unless you update your DVD player, and get a HD Sky Receiver, there is little point.

I dont think so mate, I think its just happens with general wear and tear of the tv. My sound on my old tv has started playing up, just age i think.

Those two giant images aren't really your signature are they?? They have got to go :/

My old TV had the same issues, new TV, no probs.

Could it be that you're trying to play certain games at 60hz when old TV's only support 50hz properly? Just a possibility.

If that were the case, you wouldnt get a pic at all, just the screen rolling upwards.

EDIT: Shorty - they were my sig for like two mins until i changed it. Rep points forever.

Could it be that you're trying to play certain games at 60hz when old TV's only support 50hz properly? Just a possibility.

No, I play all games at 50hz except the ones that are 60hz only, however, the TV somehow reads the 60Hz format as NTSC format and displays it correctly with colours. Only if there is a lot of brightness and/or many things going on it becomes grey and some flickering starts, what is very rare though.