N-Europe

Buying a new computer.....

Marthuser

Right, as the title suggests, I'm going to buy a new computer pretty soon.

So far, here's what I have in mind. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep the price to a mimimum.

The Mobo is a Gigabyte 945PL-S3 Conroe.

For the processor I'm gonna use a cheap 3.2Ghz Pentium D

2 Gigs of DDR2

160GB SATAII HDD

And a 8600GT

Plus a burner/case/450w Power Supply etc.

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Whether 2G of RAM is overkill. The RAM is pretty cheap, though

2. Which would be better, DDR2-533, or 677?

3. Anything I should change with this setup?

No 2Gb RAM is not overkill. It's perfect really. Especially if you plan on running Vista.

DDR2-667 is better.

Pentium D's are super weak, I reccomend you get a Core 2 Duo. Which are pretty cheap.

Not sure if the 8600GT is any good or not.

And 450W Powersupply is pretty damn weak. Especially if you plan on upgrading later.

Ok, so a new power supply and a different processor.....

The power supply shouldn't be a problem, but is that D 3.2ghz really that bad?

It's about 50 bucks more (AU) for an E4300, so if I did switch, that's probably where I'd go. Is that jump worth it?

Plus, I could upgrade anytime, since the mobo is 775/Core 2 ready.

Ok, so a new power supply and a different processor.....

The power supply shouldn't be a problem, but is that D 3.2ghz really that bad?

It's about 50 bucks more (AU) for an E4300, so if I did switch, that's probably where I'd go. Is that jump worth it?

Plus, I could upgrade anytime, since the mobo is 775/Core 2 ready.

Sure but don't expect Intel to keep those Core Duos available for your motherboard when upgrade.

More and more software is developed supporting dual core architectures and their thermal management and rating is much better.

A Pentium M with 2GHz has a rating of 2.8GHz - because the architecture is superior - same goes for the Core Duo. Pentium 4 is an abandoned plattform which already failed.

Sure but don't expect Intel to keep those Core Duos available for your motherboard when upgrade.

Why wouldn't they be available? I would upgrade in about a year, maybe less.

More and more software is developed supporting dual core architectures and their thermal management and rating is much better.

A Pentium M with 2GHz has a rating of 2.8GHz - because the architecture is superior - same goes for the Core Duo. Pentium 4 is an abandoned plattform which already failed.

I know how the architecture differs, and I know that Core 2 is better, but I wasn't sure if getting that processor would give a significant jump in performance. If it helps. it's a Pentium D =p, but yeah, it did fail.

8600GT?

Nooo, there terrible all the 8600's are really, they wont run DX10 games well at all, but if you have to get one get a 8600GTS.

They may be bad, but I'm sure they can handle all current games, plus I can probably have a go at some DX10 games. It also falls pretty much right in my price range.

What are you going to be using the comp for? At the moment you're spec looks a little unbalanced

I guess I'll be using for gaming more or less. What I was looking to do was to put together a cheap system, which can be upgraded.

The card and the RAM should last a while, and the processor can be upgraded whenever and adding HDDs would be no problem.