NEurope
Stealthttd

Miyamoto not happy with LoZ:tp sales says less want long rpg games anymore

I'll give Nintendo a fucking clue. How about starting thinking OUTSIDE of that radioactive island of yours?! How about I haven't seen a fucking Wii ad in Portugal!! I know we're not a big market, but that doesn't stop Sony or Microsoft and they sell millions of consoles here! MILLIONS I TELL J00!! It's not the markets fault its YOUR damn fault you don't put all that cash too good work! I know what's coming next, "People don't want complicated games! They want simple stuff like Tamagochi and books!"

FUCK OFF NINTENDO! SUAS PUTAS!

Playstation 2 only sold 770.000 units here, certainly not millions. Also take into account that a lot of people here run "backups" on them, never buying a comercial game and a lot of PS2's broke already since launch and had to be "bought again".

And X360 sales are not that great by comparison.

As for game availability blame concentra, besides, I don't know where you live, but I've heard stories of stores having as much space for Wii as X360 and even surpass it. I've also had no problem in seeing Wii's for sale last time I checked.

Me? I don't buy stuff in portugal, I know where to get them cheaper.

Blame Concentera, not Nintendo. Furthermore, most people probably didn't know this, but Nintendo has pretty much started dominate continential Europe. During last week, there was 10 Nintendo console titles in Germany's TOP-10, 7 in France, 8 in Spain, and even UK had 4. Times are indeed changing. :)

Concentra is obviously to blame, but Nintendo doesn't care either.

It's nice to see Nintendo having such sucess here, but it feels like we're the unloved bastards.

Playstation 2 only sold 770.000 units here, certainly not millions. Also take into account that a lot of people here run "backups" on them, never buying a comercial game and a lot of PS2's broke already since launch and had to be "bought again".

And X360 sales are not that great by comparison.

As for game availability blame concentra, besides, I don't know where you live, but I've heard stories of stores having as much space for Wii as X360 and even surpass it. I've also had no problem in seeing Wii's for sale last time I checked.

Me? I don't buy stuff in portugal, I know where to get them cheaper.

770.000 ain't bad for our demographics. And I never had any trouble buying a console, the stores are full with them because hardly anyone buys them. Just wait a couple of years and it will be Gamecube all over again.

Concentra is obviously to blame, but Nintendo doesn't care either.

It's nice to see Nintendo having such sucess here, but it feels like we're the unloved bastards.

I'd like to see a real Nintendo representation too, but it's not like I care that much if my console is doing well elsewhere and I will import providing I'll spend less money.

Wii is selling in Portugal though, just as DS is, it's just subpar compared to other regions.

770.000 ain't bad for our demographics. And I never had any trouble buying a console, the stores are full with them because hardly anyone buys them. Just wait a couple of years and it will be Gamecube all over again.
It ain't bad, but it has it's own conditions in achieving that.

I doubt realistically there's more than 300/400.000 active PS2's in Portugal. I know people who had 4 PS2's being that the previous ones broke.

We also know that, saying 100.000 users of that userbase actually buy PS2 games is kinda pushing our luck.

This sounded more like an interview with Yamauchi. All in one interview he manages to

-insult 3rd parties

-disregard the importance of RPG's

-scoff at the idea of giving consumers what they want

-admit that controlling a Wii game is like 'work'

This sounded more like an interview with Yamauchi. All in one interview he manages to

-insult 3rd parties

I don't see it that way, and yamauchi would be funnier.

I dont see him insulting 3rd parties.

Importance of RPG's... he just says it's dificult to sell them, reffering to Zelda I believe.

Yamauchi didn't ever play so it was never like work, but why shouldn't it feel like work? He already played it to death while making it, not because he wanted (nobody wants to play 8 work hours per day everyday), he's human, I bet he doesn't leave his job and goes straight into gaming.

-insult 3rd parties

Once again Pit-JR demonstrates his skill of taking stuff out its context to push his own agenda:

- How saying that certain outsourced games didn't turn out so well as they could have is insulting 3rd parties? And are you actually defending Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Adventure and GBA's F-Zeros?

- If you haven't grasped it, they aren't so important as before no matter so called "hardcore*" wants to believe. Worldwide sales numbers clearly show this, and numbers don't lie. In fact, there was only 7 JRPGs that were able to sell over 500 000 copies in the west (yes, Europe and USA combined) during last home console generation.

- Well, according to sales Nintendo has exactly given what public wants. Of course, it is hard for you to grasp that world doesn't revolve around you or your friends.

* Hardcore meaning this case wannabe posers, whose idea of being hardcore is playing FPS's and GTA clones, and having HD-TV.

I heard Final Fantasy doesn't sell that much either, it just must be too long. I suppose they should just make blitzball games instead.

I heard Final Fantasy doesn't sell that much either, it just must be too long. I suppose they should just make blitzball games instead.

Final Fantasy is exception to rule, nothing else, and even FF has faced huge drop during last six years (FFXII sold 600 000 less than FFX in japan). In the west*, there has been only seven* JRPGs that were able to sell over 500 000 copies** during last six years.

* Yes, and I truly mean combined sales of both Europe and USA.

** Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II and Tales of Symphonia.

Once again Pit-JR demonstrates his skill of taking stuff out its context to push his own agenda:

- How saying that certain outsourced games didn't turn out so well as they could have is insulting 3rd parties? And are you actually defending Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Adventure and GBA's F-Zeros?

- If you haven't grasped it, they aren't so important as before no matter so called "hardcore*" wants to believe. Worlwide sales numbers clearly show this, and numbers don't lie. In fact, there was only 7 JRPGs that were able to sell over 500 000 copies in the west (yes, Europe and USA combined) during last home console generation.

- Well, according to sales Nintendo has exactly given what public wants. Of course, it is fucking hard for you to grasp that world doesn't revolve around you.

* Hardcore meaning this case wannabe posers, whose idea of being hardcore is playing FPS's and GTA clones, and having HD-TV.

Thanks for backing me up Teppo :)
Listen, I love RPG's, it's really the genre I cherish the most... but I have to admit, the market has been shrinking in the last few years, it's a lot harder to build a RPG brand now, it's even harder to sell a previously installed brand now, apart from some exceptions as Teppo stated.

If anything we should worry about it, rather than trying to say that there isn't a crisis, because there is, and it didn't start today.

And developers are aware of that, of course; otherwise Square-Enix wouldn't focus so much on the "Final Fantasy" brand, a game with that in the name is bound to sell well, but a unknown or lesser Square-Enix franchise is bound to not being a success.

Well the Gamecube version sold over 1 million in America alone, and the Wii version has sold over 2 million, so we're getting on for 4 million copies of the game over the two platforms, I don;t think that's too shabby!

I just don;t think it was as big a hit in Japan as he hoped.

What's so wrong with F-Zero: GP Legend and F-Zero Climax? I quite enjoyed them... :p

Well the Gamecube version sold over 1 million in America alone, and the Wii version has sold over 2 million, so we're getting on for 4 million copies of the game over the two platforms, I don;t think that's too shabby!

I just don;t think it was as big a hit in Japan as he hoped.

The series has been in decline in Japan for quite some time now. That's been previously discussed, and I think he was pointing that out, too.

It must leave Nintendo disillusioned if one of their top franchises performs well in the West but doesn't do as well as it should in its homeland.

How come ppl no longer like long RPGs?! thats just WRONG!!

I want 50+hours RPGs..

What's so wrong with F-Zero: GP Legend and F-Zero Climax? I quite enjoyed them... :p

* /me slaps Funktion with something heavy and blunt * :)

How come ppl no longer like long RPGs?! thats just WRONG!!

I want 50+hours RPGs..

I also love them, but the thing is... Apart from some bigger names... There's not a big public for them at this point, it was way easier to sell a RPG on SNES and PSone.

Even Square-Enix had some flops in it's lap this gen. (pretty much everything out of the FF, DQ and KH brand actually)

Why oh why do they only seem to care about what japan wants?
Well... they don't always, Reggie and others tend to care more about US for example.

But it's obvious Nintendo Wii is a very Japanese console, in philosophy so... of course they care, and Miyamoto was talking specifically about Japan in this interview.

That also why Miyamoto won't create a Halo, it doesn't make sense for him to do so, his games are deeply rooted to Japanese origins. (and Halo is clearly "Americanized")

Miyamoto actually said in the past he was confident before launch about Wii selling well in Japan, but worried about the rest of the world. Still, and being Japan their standard market they want to secure it and make it stronger.

In the end and if Wii dominates Japan we will most likely have plenty RPG's and other kinds os support, that's just how it works, support comes from success, so of course they should focus on Japan. The console with more success has the broadest public, so, more likely to buy pretty much every kind of game, that's how PS2 went. And that's what developers look up to when choosing a platform.

Sony didn't, and even released PS3 in Japan with a FPS, Resistance as their biggest system seller just like in the rest of the world, and it simply didn't sold, thus with that and other stuff... Sony is loosing their own home market, that's pretty bad for them if you ask me, before securing other markets they should keep their own, and that's what Nintendo is doing, it's very important.

Leave US and European territories to the people looking after them, and Miyamoto is a game developer, not Nintendo's president.

I understand that but let's say cancelling Zelda because it sold bad in japan but sold fantastically in the rest of the world is ridiculous and i feel that's the type of thing nintendo would do. the exception to this rule is the metroid series but why do you think that skipped a generation even before it became 3d

I understand that but let's say cancelling Zelda because it sold bad in japan but sold fantastically in the rest of the world is ridiculous and i feel that's the type of thing nintendo would do. the exception to this rule is the metroid series but why do you think that skipped a generation even before it became 3d
They aren't even talking about canceling Zelda over things like that, and it sold very good elsewhere.

But Miyamoto wanted it to sell more on his homeland, just like he wanted Starfox and F-Zero to perform better.

i believe nintendo would cancel zelda if it was selling poorly in japan.

Yes i understand his thinking but i feel it's very old fashioned. The xbox 360 is doing very well selling poorly in japan, but i understand your homeland logic but the original xbox proved that videogaming doesn't need japan to be succesfull

i believe nintendo would cancel zelda if it was selling poorly in japan.
Not a chance in hell, I'm afraid; and they have no reason to do so. It's also obvious Miyamoto loves Zelda as he loves other creations of his.

If Zelda flopped worldwide Nintendo would have to take a look at it, sure, but they'd surely develop the next one. But it didn't flop.

Yes i understand his thinking but i feel it's very old fashioned. The xbox 360 is doing very well selling poorly in japan, but i understand your homeland logic but the original xbox proved that videogaming doesn't need japan to be succesfull
Erm? Xbox was pretty much as successful as Gamecube, when it came to market share. It didn't prove anything.

Besides in that "draw" Nintendo made money, while Microsoft lost 6 bilion US Dolars, plus funding for 3rd party's for making Xbox 1 games better graphically. I wouldn't call it a success unless the mission was burning money.

But Xbox homeland market is not Japan, sure.

The Xbox wasn't successful though, was it? Financially, I mean. If it had been any company other than Microsoft backing it — and they knew they were going to lose a lot of money on it — then I doubt we'd have seen a successor.

Incidentally, the Xbox and 360 were both designed with the same "homeland logic" which is precisely why it's so popular with white American teenagers. And unpopular with anyone a few degrees out from that. It's a stagnant demographic, and one that neither the 360 or PS3 are trying to grow. The Wii and DS are Nintendo's attempts to stir up the market, as they saw the stagnation of gaming — and apathy towards the medium — in their own back yard. Nintendo's livelihood is gaming, not like Microsoft or Sony: they need their business to be a profitable one, and if you're selling ever more expensive products to the same people you've been relying on for years then profit will go down, risk will go up, and you'll see developers and publishers closing up shop and taking their games with them. That is the present situation, and if there's to be a future for gaming then it needs to change its ways.

Anyway, this'll probably be the biggest non-news item of the week.

i like cheese..: peace: ..Anyways no chance that zelda will ever get canceled but im more worried about nintendo making it easyier instead of harder... it should of been harder and him saying that it was to much makes me feel like huh..I wish wii had a sifi shooter like halo tho...red steels art was to real for me to get into...i would rather be a bad ass killing aliens than a person fighting gangsters while trying to save his girl friend...o wait im still waiting for metriod tho yay..i almost for got i been waiting so long ;-P

Dear lord people it's just an interview, probably mistranslated and misinterpreted, it's not like they're going to stop making big games and make only small ones and cancel Zelda. Don't be idiots.