Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Ken Kutaragi retires from Sony

Mundi

Retired or got fired, I wonder. :heh:

From what little understanding I have of Japanese business practises, firing people is pretty much unheard of. Instead employees are encouraged to leave of their own accord — see Kutaragi's ostensible promotion to Chairmen last November, which basically meant he no longer held a hands-on position at the company.

Good riddence...

Eurogamer have a really interesting eulogy to Ken Kutaragi's career up. It's pretty long, but it gives a real insight in to how the modern gaming landscape was sculpted.

At the end of the day he did some great things, not just for Sony but for gaming as a whole. He's an engineer that has always been fascinated with pushing the technological envelope, and whilst his public appearances often left people with their heads in their hands, he's interested in technology, not PR.

I think it would be great if he did take some kind of position at Nintendo, as although he might be the guy you love to hate I think it's unfair to ignore his expertise because of his attitude.

All this hatred from people who probably weren't even playing games when the Playstation was released really annoys me.

You know how utterly important he's been in making gaming as big as it is today? Just because he went a bit mad doesn't give you any right to call him an arsehole.

He's almost as important as Miyamoto when it comes to games, and possibly more important when it comes to the industry as a whole.

All this hatred from people who probably weren't even playing games when the Playstation was released really annoys me.

You know how utterly important he's been in making gaming as big as it is today? Just because he went a bit mad doesn't give you any right to call him an arsehole.

He's almost as important as Miyamoto when it comes to games, and possibly more important when it comes to the industry as a whole.

Yes, because if you weren't around, you can't dislike his attitude.

;);) nudge nudge, loloololol

That's OK, I was playing games before he even realized there was money in it.

People have earned the title for a lot less.

What games did he have a direct hand in developing then?

What games did he have a direct hand in developing then?

None that i'm aware of, but he was a driving force behind the Plystation, which has undeniably done a lot for the entire industry. People keep talking about the Wii introducing people to gaming for the first time, well Sony and Kutaragi have already done that twice.

He's an arrogant ****, but he's been very, very important when it comes to gaming in the last ten years. I don't think people should forget that.

I was just about to say that.:hehe:

You were going to think for yourself?

None that i'm aware of, but he was a driving force behind the Plystation, which has undeniably done a lot for the entire industry. People keep talking about the Wii introducing people to gaming for the first time, well Sony and Kutaragi have already done that twice.

He's an arrogant ****, but he's been very, very important when it comes to gaming in the last ten years. I don't think people should forget that.

I don't doubt how much playstation has helped the gaming masses into mainstream appeal, and I thank Sony for that (the only thanks they'll ever get from me). But I, for one, hate arrogance in any form. Nintendo displayed it with the N64, so I went over to the Playstation, but by the beggining of the PS2s life, the glove was on the other hand, and I came back.

Don't get me wrong, if nintendo slip back into thier old ways through sucess with the Wii, I'll be off to the Microsoft side. I have loyalty only to the underdogs, as they are always the most interesting.