N-Europe

Download limit's

Calza

We have just upgraded our broadband package (and telephone) to TalkTalk's newest offer. We did have already a really good offer at the time however the speed was only 512kb/s so we decided to upgrade to 8mb/s.

The thing that is worrying me is now we have gone from an unlimted download limit to a 40 GB limit. I know this is alot however I download quite a bit and I am on Guild Wars, CSS and my 360, my dad uses it for work (around 200 emails a day), my mum casually and my brother wirelessly (Runescape...).

So I was wondering if anybody could hazard a guess if we would actually be going over it.

Depends really I will probably never download over 5gb a month however I do play alot of online games.

I remember seeing a program which measured how much you were downloading, does anybody else see or have it?

Not really, a few demos thats all.

I did think 40GB was alot but it was just how everybody in my family uses the connection. It should be enough, as other companies that I've seen are usally pretty small limits.

40GB should be plenty, but check the small print to see what their policy actually is for people who go over the limit. A lot of providers either just ignore it or send out a friendly letter, and only take action if you're being really excessive.

Guest Jordan

No offence, but you must be an idiot to sign up to an ISP with restrictions on downloading.

Besides, their fair usage polices mean jack shit, worst they can do is kick you off the service.

I have no control over it, we did have unlimited and I only found out when I looked on their website after we upgraded to it.

I don't really see how I'm an idiot if really I checked everywhere and for what we needed that was the best deal.

You mean DU Meter. A very nice, helpful and accurate program.

That should help you determine exactly how much you up- and downloaded.

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for :D Should be intresting to see how much is actually downloaded playing online.

Im sure i ahve a 2gb Limit, which i go over every month. One time i went over by 1.5gb in one day. They never do a thing about it.

*touch wood*

Mmm seems like it won't matter that much then :grin:

No offence, but you must be an idiot to sign up to an ISP with restrictions on downloading.

Besides, their fair usage polices mean jack shit, worst they can do is kick you off the service.

As far as I know, all providers here have download/upload limits. Or at least that's what it's always been like for me. =O

My dad just moved us from AOL $to Talk Talk, i nearly cried!

Still going to be 1Mb/s but now theres a download limit of 40GB/month! The amount i download i could use that up in a week!

Ah well, one more to add to the list of reasons why im thinking about moving out! Maybe he's doing it on purpose...

BT claims they charge you £3 or something for every gig you go over. Last time I doubled my download limit, they told us they'd double it for us. But warned if we breach it next time we'll have to pay. Ok then.. >_>