N-Europe

Mobile Phone Insurance

Ramar

Well I just bought a new phone, and I'm looking to get it insured.

Firstly I found The Carphone Warehouse's insurance was unreasonable and incredibly expencive. £72 for a year.. no thank you. (Almost half the price of the phone!)

My next plan was to take advantage of free phone insurance via my student barclays account. Well after a phone call, a visit to their website, another phone call and then another visit on their site. Its left me puzzled, it would appear on the phone I would be able to set up a policy, yet on their site it says they no longer do policies for student accounts. Add I was informed to review the terms and conditions on the website, but for my account you can't.

So while I ponder the situation, and I'll probably call barclays again tomorrow, when I've calmed down, and to be fair I hate speaking to people I don't know, especially on the phone.

I just thought you guys here at NE may be able to recommend some companies etc.

I'd have taken out the Carphone Warehouse policy. To ensure my phone on my student insurance policy it was like an extra 40 odd quid. But it wasn't a comprehensive a policy as the Carphone Warehouse, for example didn't cover water damage, which is a biggie for any student, who like my mate drunkenly drops his phone in a pint! Plus there are slightly diffferent policies on lose and theft of your phone.

And finally Carphone Warehouse offer the chance to buy out your contract anytime after 6 months, and you aren't attached to the contract anymore...all as part of the policy, great way to get outta the contract and get a new phone...

I'm paying £6 a month for complete (even accidental and loss) insurance on my phone. I can cancel this at anytime and most likely I'm going to cancel it in a few months time. I've only had the phone for a month and don't want somethingn to happen to it straight away. This is the insurance that Three offer when you buy a phone.

And finally Carphone Warehouse offer the chance to buy out your contract anytime after 6 months, and you aren't attached to the contract anymore...all as part of the policy, great way to get outta the contract and get a new phone...

I'm on pays as you go, not contract. Or were you on about the insurance contract?

I found the Carphone Warehouse prices unreasonable though, I don't want to be setting up direct debits and £72 is a bit too much when they've just got £190 out of me.

well it is a risk. A) you take £72 now and put it in the bank and do it every year untill you have to replace it. PRO if your phone doesnt break then you practically have paid for your next phone. CON if the phone gets lost stolen etc in the first few months you are having to add an extra £120 to get a new one B) you pay the insurance and are covered. PRO lose the phone and it is replaced and save £120 CON if nothing happens to it you have wasted £72 that you will never get back.

Personally i do A) because in most cases insurances have an excess charge of £20 and i am on contract so after a year i get a new phone anyway. for you i would recommend B.

I work in insurance. (not showing off, it's not something you would show off about, I'm just tryoing to give my statements credentials)

Your cheapest option would be to try and get it added onto your/your parents household insurance. This is almost always the cheapest option - the company i work for is £40 a year.

Few things you need to check though:

1) the Excess. Some places will charge a min excess of £100, which instantly reduces the use of the insurance. My company is £25 exess for phones, which is one of the lower ones

2) the allowed value of phone. I(nusrance through banlks may have a limit on the value of phone, I know natwest's limit is only £250, which for the majority of new models is very inadequate, especially when you include the excess. Find one with either unlimited or £500 cover. - remember you replace it at the cost of 'handset only', not the cost of buying it subsidized on PAYG/contract

3) check cover for unauthorised calls. Someone can easily rack up £100's of calls in a few hours, so make sure you have cover for that, as losing the phone isnt the only cost of losing it. if you see what i mean.

I work in insurance. (not showing off, it's not something you would show off about, I'm just tryoing to give my statements credentials)

Your cheapest option would be to try and get it added onto your/your parents household insurance. This is almost always the cheapest option - the company i work for is £40 a year.

Few things you need to check though:

1) the Excess. Some places will charge a min excess of £100, which instantly reduces the use of the insurance. My company is £25 exess for phones, which is one of the lower ones

2) the allowed value of phone. I(nusrance through banlks may have a limit on the value of phone, I know natwest's limit is only £250, which for the majority of new models is very inadequate, especially when you include the excess. Find one with either unlimited or £500 cover. - remember you replace it at the cost of 'handset only', not the cost of buying it subsidized on PAYG/contract

3) check cover for unauthorised calls. Someone can easily rack up £100's of calls in a few hours, so make sure you have cover for that, as losing the phone isnt the only cost of losing it. if you see what i mean.

Nice one.

We have cover on our house insurance, but like you said its got the £100 excess.

I believe the barclays comes with full cover including unathourised calls.