NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MindFreak

Help! Mac probs!

My Macbook stopped responding just now. It wants me to re-install MacOSX, but I have very important documents on it. If I reinstall the software, will I be able to retrieve those? (I know there is a Mac-thread, however, this is an emergency..)

When I start the Mac, it makes weird ticking sounds, and an icon with a ? appears, blinking. OS had frozen while I was away for a brief moment (20 mins. app.).

Oh, this is awful, it's the only computer, I've got! I wrote this on my Wii. Hope, you might be able to help.us And fast!

No updates for a while.us Just answer my question, please.us I'm kinda desperate. Can I restore my current documents after reinstallingenuity OSX?

contatc Apple technical support people, numbers on apple.com/uk

Don't think theres a way of recovering stuff if you haven't backed up but i may be wrong.

Good luck anyway. Least the whole thing hasn't totally died in under a year like my windows laptop, lucky i wanted a macbook pro anywho.

It wants me to re-install MacOSX, but I have very important documents on it.

I think the lesson here is to always back up your important files. Schoolboy error I'm afraid.

I know it is possible in Windows. So why not in OSX?

Besides, I cannot locate the hdd with any utility on the install disc.us Either the hdd is broke or a cable has somehow been disconnected, which can happen and this I prefer!

I know it is possible in Windows. So why not in OSX?

Besides, I cannot locate the hdd with any utility on the install disc.us Either the hdd is broke or a cable has somehow been disconnected, which can happen and this I prefer!

On a pc that would be done, for example, by booting up a linux livecd/dvd and copying the files that way. Another way would be to remove the hdd from the macbook (i'm not even sure if this can be done...) and plugging it as an extra drive to another computer. The another computer should be a mac though, as I don't know if there's any program that allows reading/writing of mac's filesystem on windows.

Buy a Mac....

Oh wait. :)

Seriously Jord, a moderator behaving like a noob (for the 18th time).

Tsk Tsk.

Wait, wait, wait! Did I read that right?! Mac problems?!!

I'm sorry for this. I can't help you.

If I were you, I'de try something else first. Boot your MacOS X 10.4 disc on your system, and try to change your disk image. Try reseting it using the Disk Utility. If you use this utility, you can restore most things (try to restore your disk using this, rewrite your poermission and so on). If necessary, you can back up your entire system including the files and folders as a disk image on a external hard drive using the Disk Utility,k this way you can just reboot your system with the external drive to retrieve your files. But usually, you can just restore your system using a restart. What's the precise problem?

So, in short, try mounting your disk utility from your install disk and use it to restore your permission and so on, don't format it just yet. If necessary, make a disk image on a seperate hard drive to save your entire data (this will take a while, though). Try to restore the problem later using your freshly installed macos.

Wait, wait, wait! Did I read that right?! Mac problems?!!

I'm sorry for this. I can't help you.

In the end, it's still a computer. The first person that says macs do'nt have errors and problems is simply dumb or in denial. Macs still have less problems and errors than windows, and doesn't annoy you with twenty-one messages saying 'new hardware found, click here to install' - even though it works fine without any installation...

EDIT: I bumped on this on Wikipedia: Disk_Utility_screenshot.png. You can see here that your can use First AID or create new disc images. it's on your MacOS X 10.4 installation boot loader disk, so it shouldn't be a problem getting it working. I think - but I'm not sure - that you should hold down 'D' to boot from the disk when you restart your computer, although I can't verifuy that. Maybe you should... find out using the internet? This is all the help I've got on offer.

I have tried some of those things, however, the hdd is not detected by the disc utility programme on the install disc. I think I may have to find my nearest Mac retrailer, have him to replace my hdd and retrieve my data.us They should be able to do that. Sigh.us

I have tried some of those things, however, the hdd is not detected by the disc utility programme on the install disc. I think I may have to find my nearest Mac retrailer, have him to replace my hdd and retrieve my data.us They should be able to do that. Sigh.us

And restroing your system didn't work? Plug in your HDD before you start your computer perhaps? Ah well, that's all I can do for you. Apple will be glad to help you out, so it'll work out fine. I'm not sure if theyc an save your files, but probably they can.

And what's up with that '.us' of your?

When installing OS X you can choose whether you want a clean install or not. Just choose not to clean install (I can't remember what its called, but its called upgrade for Windows) and you should be able to access your files once its reinstalled.

I would also ask for help on http://www.macrumors.com

but I have very important documents on it. If I reinstall the software, will I be able to retrieve those?

relax re-installing the os on a Mac won't erase your files like on a PC

edit: darn moria beat me to it

Tsk Tsk.

I hope that was a joke :D.

And restroing your system didn't work? Plug in your HDD before you start your computer perhaps? Ah well, that's all I can do for you. Apple will be glad to help you out, so it'll work out fine. I'm not sure if theyc an save your files, but probably they can.

And what's up with that '.us' of your?

Everything I wrote up to this post was written on a Wii, and it has a strange dictionary. Oo

I cannot plug in the HDD as it's a laptop computer. But I'll take it to a Mac-center this weekend.

Thanks, guys, anyway.

Jordan: Yeah, I found that picture and such in the disc utility-programme, however, the only disc shown was the install CD, no HDD detected.

Everything I wrote up to this post was written on a Wii, and it has a strange dictionary. Oo

I cannot plug in the HDD as it's a laptop computer. But I'll take it to a Mac-center this weekend.

Thanks, guys, anyway.

Jordan: Yeah, I found that picture and such in the disc utility-programme, however, the only disc shown was the install CD, no HDD detected.

I was actually pointing at an external HDD on USB or Firewire - they should recognize it. And by the way, you can never connect another HDD to your system anyway... Try and external Hard Drive (minimum capacity: your laptop's HDD) and make a disk copy on it.

Okay, I get the idea, but I haven't got an external HDD. However, if I had, would I be able to make an image of the now broken internal HDD? I'll have to get it fixed either way, and fast. My idea is that I'll get Apple extract data from the old (broken) one and then transfer that to a new and healthy one?

relax re-installing the os on a Mac won't erase your files like on a PC

edit: darn moria beat me to it

You don't have to erase the files when you re-install windows or linux. It is recommended when you want to install windows properly, but not necessary.

You might need a screwdriver and an adapter but usually laptop hard disks can be plugged to another computer ;)

Unless macbook's hard disks are somehow different from other laptop hard disks.

You don't have to erase the files when you re-install windows or linux. It is recommended when you want to install windows properly, but not necessary.

You might need a screwdriver and an adapter but usually laptop hard disks can be plugged to another computer ;)

Unless macbook's hard disks are somehow different from other laptop hard disks.

Don't replace your MacBook drive, since it won't be recognized by the system. And I'm not so sure Apple uses SATA or any standard drive, though it could be.

Okay, I get the idea, but I haven't got an external HDD. However, if I had, would I be able to make an image of the now broken internal HDD? I'll have to get it fixed either way, and fast. My idea is that I'll get Apple extract data from the old (broken) one and then transfer that to a new and healthy one?

Yes, if you had one, you could back-up all your files without any trouble. Don't forget that the errors in your system are copied as well, but all data is saved so you might be able to recover from that drive without problems. It just makes sure you have all things you had to be saved somewhere else so you can start again with another clean drive and then get your files back using your new system. Although here's a nice adive that might work: Get your battery out of your MacBook (maake sure it's turned off) and keep it that way for a while. Plug it back in and your system should work again. I rarely heard of any problems with the OS...

Tsk Tsk.

Mods can't banter? :blank:

Mods can't banter? :blank:

I hardly class joking as making a flame like comment in every mac thread.

I hardly class joking as making a flame like comment in every mac thread.

True. No need to flame. On the other hand, he probably can't stand mac being better :wink:

Sign in to follow this