NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Red Steel - Some Of My Views

Like with my other Rayman Raving Rabidds thread, the old one is a bit dead and buried, so it's always a good idea to maybe start afresh. New discussion, now that a lot of people have played through it now.

I've lent my cousin ExciteTruck and got this in return. I've played bits of it briefly before, but now I've properly had a chance to sit down with it and see what it has to offer.

For the actual idea of moving and aiming with the controller, I do admit that I do suck a little at shooters. You should see me on PC FPSs...I'm really bad.

I've found the actual aiming to be pretty accurate. The idea of moving the nunchuk sensor to open doors is quite a nice touch, as well. The greatest enemy for me is just moving and turning, but I'm sure that'll come in time.

This game isn't perfect, and I think it does lack some polish. However, I think the groundwork is there for some pretty great experiences in the future. I tried some of the first round of sword-fighting today, and it's not as bad as it's made out to be. The AI can be either weak or just plain unforgiving at times, and I think that is something that needs to be worked on in the future. However, I was pleased to see that left swing slash left, right slashes right, so it can be done. That was obvious.

What I would like to see, in this respect, is for this to be taken to the next level. Greater AI, more fancier movements. Maybe also the option to move completely independantly whilst sword-fighting.

The animation and whole graphical side of things could also be improved. I do like the locations, however. There's definitely a nice artistic feel to it, especially the cutscenes.

So basically, not a bad game at all, can be quite enjoyable. What do you lot think of it?

^ IMHO, What saves Red Steel is the fact that it is played with the wiimote, really :heh:

Otherwise it would be just crap, unpolished game made from a promising initial concept.

But it's fun, because it's a FPS on the Wii. Seriously I've been considering FPS's for my Wii like CoD3, MoH, etc that I'd never consider for the GC with a regular controls, it's not that I disliked FPS's before but... it's so much involving that I really want to play them regardless of the title and argument.

I like the game quite a lot. It shows that it was done in a hurry, sometimes graphics are better than last gen, others they're not that good and there seem to be a lot of bugs (although I never found one), but it's very fun. Specially because of the controls, it just makes playing FPS much more fun, but secondly, because the game itself is way different from most FPS. Everything from the setting to sword fighting is quite refreshing. The multiplayer isn't too good though, at least with just 2 players, cause the maps are too big.

The biggest problem was hype. People expected way too much and ended up disapointed, also they never bothered to learn the controls. I picked em up in 10 minutes. Some people say "You shouldn't have to pick them up". Well, I have tried to make non gamer friends play FPS in the PC, N64, dual analogue and the Wii and they all had to get used to them. And with Red Steel they got used to it much faster. I'm very interested in a sequel, because they can polish what was wrong with this one and make a fun game.

It should start to go dirt cheap soon with the 2nd wave of games coming in.

^ IMHO, What saves Red Steel is the fact that it is played with the wiimote, really :heh:

Otherwise it would be just crap, unpolished game made from a promising initial concept.

But it's fun, because it's a FPS on the Wii. Seriously I've been considering FPS's for my Wii like CoD3, MoH, etc that I'd never consider for the GC with a regular controls, it's not that I disliked FPS's before but... it's so much involving that I really want to play them regardless of the title and argument.

Totally, I agree. My mate brang round Red Steel and we played multiplayer for a few hours. The controls were really tricky to start but once you get the hang of it, it's a great new experience. When developers get more used to the hardware and the Wii-mote, we'll get some great Fps games, and If the controls are implemented well enough, it makes it more immersing than jsut using a joypad. Can't wait for Red Steel 2. I'm gonna pick this up cheap now anyway.

I enjoyed it. Sure it's no Half-Life 2, and if you bunged it on another console it would be as boring as Halo (well...almost as boring, there are a few things that add a kind-of 'charm' to Red Steel). The controls, style and graphics made it feel quite arcady, rather than a 'serious' shooter. It's fun, and probably one of the few FPSes that can be played every now and then for short bursts after completion, rather than relying on multiplayer for longetivity.

I agree, Pedro. Had it been on another console, it would just have been another shooter.

I also agree with Cube, it does feel a bit arcadey. I kinda like that. I also think the controls were used quite well, and don't really hinder the experience at all. There's good uses of the controls, and it doesn't just feel like a novelty. We need more games like this, but also the flaws and problems need to be improved.

I enjoyed it. Sure it's no Half-Life 2, and if you bunged it on another console it would be as boring as Halo (well...almost as boring, there are a few things that add a kind-of 'charm' to Red Steel). The controls, style and graphics made it feel quite arcady, rather than a 'serious' shooter. It's fun, and probably one of the few FPSes that can be played every now and then for short bursts after completion, rather than relying on multiplayer for longetivity.

At least i'm not the only one that finds Halo achingly boring.

I didn't like Halo, I just couldn't get into it at all.

One thing I do love about this game, killing does seem very satisfying. I haven't found that with past console shooters, but it does feel good on here. Being able to aim directly at your enemy and pump lead into him is great.

I didn't like Halo, I just couldn't get into it at all.

One thing I do love about this game, killing does seem very satisfying. I haven't found that with past console shooters, but it does feel good on here. Being able to aim directly at your enemy and pump lead into him is great.

And being able to rotate your pistols, and pump lead. That is genious. :grin:

And being able to rotate your pistols, and pump lead. That is genious. :grin:

Sure is. :D

I think the story is good, but it could have been implemented better. It seems a bit too formulaic and not too cinematic. We could've had something along the lines of Kill Bill, but it just didn't seem to come off.

That's what makes a good game a great game. Things like that.

I think sensitivity is an issue, with turning for example, and it's definitely something ubisoft can look into in the future.

They also need to try harder with the multiplayer. Bots, online in the future, and more maps and modes is a must. I really do think Ubi can do good things here.

I also like the fact that it's very important to take cover.

Yea, I'm starting to like the low, recharging health thing more than the traditional health bar. It negates annoying hunts for health packs, makes every firefight more interesting, and relies on 'on-the-fly' tactics.

Its also satisfying to shoot normal humans in a modern-day environment.

It's nice to see other people enjoying this game. I think it is really good, and of all the Wii FPS games I've tried, this has the best controls. I really hope they make a Red Steel 2 which has been hinted at a few times.

Its also satisfying to shoot normal humans in a modern-day environment.

No way, WWII games rock much more [/sarcasm]

Just finished the mission called "Tetsuo's Games" and Red Steel now has a place up there in my "top 5 videogame moments" list. That stage was just mind blowingly brilliant.

Oh and i'm convinced someone at Ubi was smoking cheese while watching the Saw movies when that level was conceived.

Been playing some more of it right now.

Sword fighting isn't actually all that bad. I want more freedom in the future, but this isn't too bad either.

Yes, you have to take cover a lot. I now realise why I suck so badly at shooters.

I've been having a few problems where I aim left or right and the camera will 'spin' for a second or two. I think that's where you lose contact with the sensor bar or something, and so it still thinks you want to aim right.

Not a bad game at all, though. I'm having some fun with it.

Controls take a bit of getting used to, graphics suck a bit but I love the actual game.

I didn't take cover at all, I just went in all guns blazing and completed the game fine.

It's an OK game, nothing special. They really needed to spend some more time on it. More difficulty settings, let you change the controls, bots in multiplayer...

Controls take a bit of getting used to, graphics suck a bit but I love the actual game.
That rendering engine is so nauseous, I've seen better rendering of edges in a N64 :/

Epic's Unreal Engine 2.5 GC port for the win I guess; graphics would be a load better otherwise.

I'm really hoping to see what Gearbox takes from the Wii in Brothers in Arms now, hopefully and since it's published by Ubisoft, they can share resources for Red Steel 2.

Red Steel's a good solid game with some great moments... and some frustrating ones too! For me, the bad is that later in the game (I didnt notice this in the beginning) sword fights get really annoying! I mean, I enjoy flailing about as much as anyone and hitting them with the combo moves you learn... but in the second half of the game, baddies seemed to be easy to get almost beaten... but then they started blocking everything and countering like mad. So so annoying, so what I did was resort to blocking like never before and just breaking their sword. :angry: Scumbags.

On the good side, I've no problems with the graphics and didnt see anything resembling that of two generations ago. Fair enough some things were a bit more angular than they could have been, but I'm not gonna hold that against the game. :heh:

I think my favourite mission was the one (possibly mentioned already) where you have to go through this guys playground of tests to win him over to your gang. A great mission, and I liked the sword fights with the Power Rangeresque ninjas. :grin:

Isn't BiA going to be based on the PSP version?
I think not, it should be based on the PC ones.

well, i think red steel is a solidly built game. True, it wouldent be special if it weren't for the wii remote, but then not alot on the wii would be.

The play ground level was awsome, one of my fave shooter moments

sadly, the game was needlesly frustrating, the spinning camera got on my tits somthing royal, and there were to many sword fights, they were just too long winded at times.

it is also almost impossible to use the tanto as a wepon, its only use seemed to be as a "sheld", id rather raise the katana to block, fighting more lake a samuri, rather then using the one handed slashing.

all in all, the game had its faults, but it had some great ideas, especialy the grenades and respect system, even if that didnt really pay off much. I look forward to a sequal but id bet in time red steel looks alot worse