N-Europe

Decent specs for...?

EEVILMURRAY

Don't know if there is a topic on this, but time was of the essence so I didn't bother looking.

My step dad is planning on buying a laptop for his business [builders] for finance and shit. But I'm not clued up on what's hot or not etc. Same with PCs really, so I was wondering if anyone could gimme some decent specs [maybe more so] for a good laptop, and a good PC while we're at it.

Much appreciated.

Don't know if there is a topic on this, but time was of the essence so I didn't bother looking.

My step dad is planning on buying a laptop for his business [builders] for finance and shit. But I'm not clued up on what's hot or not etc. Same with PCs really, so I was wondering if anyone could gimme some decent specs [maybe more so] for a good laptop, and a good PC while we're at it.

Much appreciated.

If it's only finance to keep track of anything will be fine. If you want to be able to work, you might want to search for the one with the most RAM memory - 2 Gb, preferably. If you find that things will run smooth (since processors are, at the moment, good enough standard anyway) and if you want for games, go for as much as videoRAM (on the graphics card) as you can get your hands on.

Or get a mac, it's decent for professional stuff - more decent than Windows for professionals. But it's only a matter of taste.

If it's for business I can highly recommend an IBM Laptop. They cost quite something extra but they are very small, have bad graphics cards but otherwise good specs, don't get hot and are very robust and to say it again they are very small, so if he has to carry it around quite often he'll surely be glad about that.

If it's only finance to keep track of anything will be fine. If you want to be able to work, you might want to search for the one with the most RAM memory - 2 Gb, preferably. If you find that things will run smooth (since processors are, at the moment, good enough standard anyway) and if you want for games, go for as much as videoRAM (on the graphics card) as you can get your hands on.

Or get a mac, it's decent for professional stuff - more decent than Windows for professionals. But it's only a matter of taste.

I agree with you mostly, but graphics card manufacturer's do release cards that have plenty of RAM but are not really any better than the version with less RAM. The graphics chip is more important. As for laptops, those that have enough power to run games properly cost more than a more powerful desktop. And they're usually pretty power hungry too so they are not that portable.

As for the mac comment, only place I've seen more professionals use macs is in the A/V industry, magazine publishing etc. But they can do this job too so as Jasper said, it's a matter of taste.

Or if you would want a pc that is durable, you might want to look at panasonic's toughbooks. They are shock and waterproof so they shouldn't break even if you abuse them. But that might be a bit too much for a laptop that is just needed to do some finance.

Only took one post, fantastic.

The mac-community is improving it's speed-of-reply by 100 speed-points. We were aiming for an all-round improvement of 700 speed-points by the end of this financial year. We're doing great so far.