N-Europe

Please rate my website design (also need advice)

The Lillster

Nice, 8/10

I agree with emasher, ligthen up the blue and you've got a awsome skin ;)

Maaaan!

That means i'll need to open photoshop, and that takes frecking aaages!

oh yeh, all the blues? or just the blue going all the way down the page? and how much lighter?

cheers

It looks very nice. It seems like it was designed for a 800x600 monitor though. I'd say the main problem is the fixed width, and the huge amount of pictures you use in the site. However, most sites are fixed width. It's just really a pet hate of mine. Also, I suggest you go to HTML forums. These are really lovely forums with really kind folk. They'll give you lots of suggestions on how to improve it.

Dear god! Center it!

capturehi4.jpg

Desgin wise looks really nice, but could you try other type of fonts? Those looke a bit bland.

He's right - get your hands on Continuum Light, sicne you're using continuum anyway and make it slightly wider - increase the font width by, say, 25-30% - that'll give the true Wii look to it!

I'm not really impressed. You've gone down the tried and tested route and it's good in those terms, but it isn't really oustaanding in any way. If it's the first time you've designed a website, congratulations - if it's the so-manieth, sorry, but it just doesn't cut. I know that this is a classic design and that it's so easy to make, but there's nothing in to to really 'wow' me. It's just another generic design that beginning designers (or scripters, they never know any good webdesign) get stuck in. Try something radical and new. http://www.postcardofapainting.com/ - keep an eye on that site - it looks good and it's experimental, and it's family of mine that's making it.

One more tip: center your entire site. As I can see on Shino's image, it's kinda lefty - so if I were you, center the thing.

And don't get me wrong - I didn't want to be rude here. it's still better than most generic ones, now that I look into it. But still, try something with the boring background, no? Nice job, though.

It looks very good, but if you want to go a lot further with it, it might be an idea to use divs rather than tables, as they are incredibly flexible. There is, however, nothing particularly wrong with your use of tables.

Well done!

Do you know of any websites, which teach you how to use divs as tables?

Do you know of any websites, which teach you how to use divs as tables?
http://www.w3schools.com/ is a good place to start.

W3 Schools has got a few tutorials on them, and there are plenty more scattered around the web. I also think that if you're doing web design or programming, having a book on hand to look things up is still a good idea, even with the advent of search engines like Google. With standards changing so quickly, it might seem like a bit of a waste, but if you intend to do quite a lot of work with it, it's a good idea!

btw, my website was made to look simple on purpose, to reflect the design of the wii.

I also plan on making multiple website designs for other projects. So i'll try to be a bit more creative next time.

If you're inspired by the simpleness of your Wii, you've been beaten to it in a much better way: http://www.wii.com . It's a great, simple and very white website, showcasing the Wii at it's best. Sorry, but these reasons for making such a non-creative website just don't count. I like simple design myself, but that doesn't mean using the same font over and over again on bland backgrounds. Perhaps pure out your colors, grey some out and whiten the rest. Could resolve a lot of 'unprofessional' problems.

If you're inspired by the simpleness of your Wii, you've been beaten to it in a much better way: http://www.wii.com . It's a great, simple and very white website, showcasing the Wii at it's best. Sorry, but these reasons for making such a non-creative website just don't count. I like simple design myself, but that doesn't mean using the same font over and over again on bland backgrounds. Perhaps pure out your colors, grey some out and whiten the rest. Could resolve a lot of 'unprofessional' problems.

So basicly your saying I shouldn't use this webdesign because it isn't pretty enough?

I for one hate those 'over the top' websites, which 'try' to be something special.

If you look on the net most popular gaming websites are generic, thats because it's nice on the eyes.

I agree with you in a way though, my website does need to be different to stand a chance, just not in the way you are thinking.