NEurope

Begin To Hope is stellarly bad. It marked her ruin. Songs or 11:11 are 100 times better than Begin To Hope.

Soviet Kitsch is still her best effort, though.

i really couldn't agree more.

I bought Begin to Hope for "Fidelity", I could listen to that song over and over (and I do!). The album as a whole is not bad. Not heard any of her old stuff though.

I *love* That Time by Regina Spektor.

I don't see why you think Begin To Hope is so bad, I think its a good album, I'd choose to listen to it over most of the other albums in my collection.

My favourite albums at the moment:

International Velvet - Catatonia

I just love everything about this album. I don't think I've ever skipped a track off this album on my iPod. I love Cerys Matthews' voice, its all raspy and so very appealing.

Volta - Bjork

Takes a bit of getting used to - most of the songs are growers. I recommend it to anyone, if only for the 3 obvious singles which are mental. (Listen to "Declare Independance" to see what I mean)

Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette

Alanis is such an angry woman. I don't think I've ever heard more hate than in this album. You Oughta Know is brim-ful of venom, and I love it. All but 3 or 4 of the songs are sing-a-long, and I've often had a song off this album stuck in my head for ages.

I'm Not Dead - P!nk

I hate all the songs that were singles off this album, but love all the slow ones, especially "Dear Mr. President" and "Runaway". I would put this in my top 30 albums of all time.

Anybody who likes female vocals with a more country feel should check out Neko Case and her live album The Tigers Have Spoken.

I *love* That Time by Regina Spektor.

I don't see why you think Begin To Hope is so bad, I think its a good album, I'd choose to listen to it over most of the other albums in my collection.

You want to know why I think Begin To Hope is so bad?? Ok...

Let's put it this way: once upon a time there was a very talented little girl called Regina. She wrote and released two brilliant albums (11:11 and Songs) all by herself, withouth any type of label supporting her, and in doing so, she rose to popularity as a main figure in both expanding and defining the Anti-Folk genre. Next, there came the record deal and along with it, Soviet Kitsch, a fucking masterpiece of an album, filled to the brim with originality and exceptional songwriting. After that, the obvious ocurred, she reached a peak in popularity, and the label started pressuring her for a more "radio-friendly" new album. And guess what? The bitch allowed herself to be subdued by them. After 10 years fighting for independent music and originality she sold out... And that's where Begin To Hope falls short. It fails to deliver. Her fantastic recording style completely gone from the face of the earth, she embraced the sad-but-true composing style of the mainstream music industry and the it happened: as the albums opens with Fidelity I feel compeled to cry... what happened, where's that Regina soul? Why did her unique style go from genius to gimmick? Why are the songs so predictable and uninspired? Why the fuck are the tracks from an Anti-Folk artist subjected to pop-format production? Why do I feel like I'd rather chew on paper than to acknowledge the new Regina? And the thought springs to mind, Regina Spektor is dead and decomposing.

I have only one question... have you ever heard any of her other albums?? I can deduce that you have not just from the fact that you said "I'd choose to listen to it over most of the other albums in my collection.. Your problem, my friend, is that you do not know who Regina Spektor is.

Do yourself a favour and buy Soviet Kitsch. It makes Begin To Hope look pathetically obsolete.

And! If you dare not agree that Soviet Kitsch>Begin To Hope, then I can only say that the problem is in your head. Anyone who says that Begin To Hope is superior clearly knows absolutely nothing about music and therefore should not even be considered when sizing Regina's outputs.

And in case you're wondering "why the fuck should I buy Soviet Kitsch", here is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pKujuTgtL0

really, we have to stop this random song shit

Might I add, I LOVE YOU? Jesus fucking christ, it's the most irritating thing ever.

New song by Hot Hot Heat, Let me in. Just watched the video and I like it. Not as good as most of their other songs but it's still pretty good.

Anybody who likes female vocals with a more country feel should check out Neko Case and her live album The Tigers Have Spoken.

Fucking hell, someone else has heard of Neko Case?

I LOVE Neko Case.

Next thing you know someone will have heard of Cotton Mather, Spoon or even (lord forbid) The Dandellions.

Spoon - The way we get by, yeah I've heard of them.

Download "I summon you"

It's gr8.8

Spoon - The way we get by, yeah I've heard of them.

Download "I summon you"

It's gr8.8

One song is hardly owning five albums is it? :p

But yeah "I Summon You" is awesome, as is demo version on the bonus CD for 'Gimme Fiction'. I also really like "I Turn My Camera On" from that album, because photography = yay.

Their new album, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (stupid name), is more accessible. "The Underdog" particularly, and "Don't Make Me A Target" and "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" are catchy.

Oh and "Down Let It Get You Down" was used on Scrubs.

Actually I think The Format is my ultimate "who...?" band. Only ever met two people who have heard of them (one real person, and someone on this forum)

Fucking hell, someone else has heard of Neko Case?

I LOVE Neko Case.

Next thing you know someone will have heard of Cotton Mather, Spoon or even (lord forbid) The Dandellions.

Again? Lol, I'll need to stick to mentioning the generic stuff so I don't get you so excited.

The only other one I know there is Spoon, who are great. Pretty sure I have heard the Dandellions mentioned before though.

Yay us.

Cotton Mather are great. They're very Beatles-ey. I bought their album 'Kontiki' ages ago and leant it to a friend and haven't had it back yet.

Their song "Lily Dreams On" is so damn awesome.

Cotton Mather are great. They're very Beatles-ey. I bought their album 'Kontiki' ages ago and leant it to a friend and haven't had it back yet.

Maybe he found it so utterly bad that he wiped it from his memory?

Maybe he found it so utterly bad that he wiped it from his memory?

No, he's moved house twice since. He said the other day he has found it, but still needs to unpack.

anyone else got their mits on the latest Pumpkins effort? I don't recall anyone posting.

anyone else got their mits on the latest Pumpkins effort? I don't recall anyone posting.

I downloaded it but not really given it much of a listen and from what I've heard its an alright album but no where near the standard of the other two pumpkins albums I've heard (Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness and Siamese Dreams).

I believe PJ Harvey is in fact the best female artist to have graced the music scene.

I believe PJ Harvey is in fact the best female artist to have graced the music scene.

Saying she's the best ever might be a tad too much, but she sure is incredibly fantastic.

You want to know why I think Begin To Hope is so bad?? Ok...

Let's put it this way: once upon a time there was a very talented little girl called Regina. She wrote and released two brilliant albums (11:11 and Songs) all by herself, withouth any type of label supporting her, and in doing so, she rose to popularity as a main figure in both expanding and defining the Anti-Folk genre. Next, there came the record deal and along with it, Soviet Kitsch, a fucking masterpiece of an album, filled to the brim with originality and exceptional songwriting. After that, the obvious ocurred, she reached a peak in popularity, and the label started pressuring her for a more "radio-friendly" new album. And guess what? The bitch allowed herself to be subdued by them. After 10 years fighting for independent music and originality she sold out... And that's where Begin To Hope falls short. It fails to deliver. Her fantastic recording style completely gone from the face of the earth, she embraced the sad-but-true composing style of the mainstream music industry and the it happened: as the albums opens with Fidelity I feel compeled to cry... what happened, where's that Regina soul? Why did her unique style go from genius to gimmick? Why are the songs so predictable and uninspired? Why the fuck are the tracks from an Anti-Folk artist subjected to pop-format production? Why do I feel like I'd rather chew on paper than to acknowledge the new Regina? And the thought springs to mind, Regina Spektor is dead and decomposing.

I have only one question... have you ever heard any of her other albums?? I can deduce that you have not just from the fact that you said "I'd choose to listen to it over most of the other albums in my collection.. Your problem, my friend, is that you do not know who Regina Spektor is.

Do yourself a favour and buy Soviet Kitsch. It makes Begin To Hope look pathetically obsolete.

And! If you dare not agree that Soviet Kitsch>Begin To Hope, then I can only say that the problem is in your head. Anyone who says that Begin To Hope is superior clearly knows absolutely nothing about music and therefore should not even be considered when sizing Regina's outputs.

And in case you're wondering "why the fuck should I buy Soviet Kitsch", here is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pKujuTgtL0

Might I add, I LOVE YOU? Jesus fucking christ, it's the most irritating thing ever.

I bought Soviet Kitsch and I lent it to him, so he knows.

I love both albums. But they're different to each other.

Fidelity is one my least favourite, despite it being the one i discovered her with.

Loads are full of beauty and spirit, and yes, it's different, and less quirky than Soviet, but it's still well made and really good music. Some tracks like Edit and Summer In The City are a bit blah, but still. That's the way albums are.

They're too different moods allmost. One is introverted whilst the other is more extroverted. As artists grow and develop, styles change.

Now, i couldn't give a damn if she's "sold out" to make money. She's still making good music, and as long as that continues, I really couldn't care less what she does money wise.

Anyway..

--

I tend to prefer female vocalists too. I love some male fronted bands too though. MCR, Placebo, P!atD, Nirvana, 30 seconds to Mars to name a few.

Started listening to Tori Amos last week and now have most of her albums. My wallet says ouch. Her newest album, American Doll Posse is quite good, best songs imo being Bouncing off Clouds and Teenage Hustling. Also Spark from an older album, From the Choirgirl Hotel is amazing, aswell as it's video. A Sorta Fairytale from Scarlet's Walk is beautiful and a very old song back from '94 is one of my favourites, Cornflake Girl. I'm a huge fan now, Go Tori!

Mainly Coheed and cambria recently, I'm addicted :)

Is anyone else going to see Hellogoodbye/Kthnxbye in London in december?