NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Caris

Wireless Newtowrk.

So ive just set up a wireless network in my house and everything is fine, i got a router that can support up to 270mbps and my brothers dongle which can support 108mbps, but it only picks up 54mbps?

how do i change the settings on his dongle so it will pick up the full 108mbps?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Can someone change the thread title, dunno how i done that.

How far away from the router is your dongle? The speed will visibly drop as the distance and objects in the way increases.

Tried accessing the router settings through the IP address that it gives you with the routers instructions?

Hmm. Perhaps the router is faulty? I might have a search on Google for you.

Nah, the routers fine i had a faulty one before this but i took it back and this one is cool.

If you receive data over WiFi, doesn't it depend on what type of Wifi you're using? b/g/n? only wifi-receivers for Wifi N can receive the full monthy of 100 mbps, while ordinary b/g gives you the 56 Mbps. i thought it was that, though. You might want to check the compatibility of your receivers as well as your router.

It's sounds like you might be only G speeds, try changing it.

I have 3 options.

GandB.

up to 130mbps.

up to 270mbps.

I am using the last.

Bearing in mind also, you'll never hit top speed, just wont happen.

Dongles aren't top-spec though, it doesn't matter what speed the network is, it can only go as fast as the dongle. if it has to go through walls that will decrease a lot. Anyone, it doesn't really matter that much, it can only go as fast as your internet which willl be a lot less than 54mbps.

Try going to Start / Control Panel / Network Connections

Right click on the dongle, click properties. Then go to 'configure' and play around with the options in there. There migth be a speed one somewhere.

My brother did say that his old dongle only ran at 20mbps ish...

Confusing.

Dongles are no where near as good as PCI network cards. I would really recommend investing in one of them. They're not really that expensive either.

Try decreasing your router's speed from 270 to 108 and see if the dongle still says it's 54. Maybe it can't run in the mixed speed mode and deliver 270 and 108 at the same time.

There is actually a very easy solution, they are both incompatible products when trying to use features in excess of the G standard.

You see, your Netgear 240 router uses a pre wireless-N MIMO(multi in, multi out) approach to increase the overall bandwidth. This is not a standard.

Lets now address the 108 advertisement. There are two primary forms of 108-wireless G. The first implementation is a Broadcom's "Afterburner" technology, with the second being Atheros's incompatible "Super G". Both are not standards. Netgear usually favors Atheros's chips in its products.

So, here is a quick summary of what you have:

Router: 240Mbs by atheros's pre-N MIMO chip.

Wireless card: 108 by atheros's "super G" chip.

Verdict? : Incompatible.

They each use a different method to exceed the wireless G standard.

Regardless, lets say it did work, if you are using the windows xp integrated wireless zero configuration, instead of the netgear dongle client, windows will pick up on anything that is not part of the wireless a/b/g standards and it will say 54 regardless.

Solution? If you want the extra speed, you will need a wireless apadter that is compatible. If you list both the model number of the router and wireless card, this can be done.

G'day

Ok, I was messing around today, trying to establish a wireless network on a computer, and basically I got it to work in the end.

However, in the process of my muddling I managed to change one of drive icons to have this random wireless network icon. It's minor, but annoying. How can I change it back?

untitledee2.jpg

Sign in to follow this