Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii S-Video vs Composite (56k Warning)

JMarimon

Recently, I picked myself up a dandy new S-Video cable for my shiny Wii. Why not Component you ask? Well, personally I lack the multi-hundreds of dollars required to buy a Component capture card for my computer. Anyhow, so I got an S-video cable, and MAN what a difference it makes. You have no idea; until now that is.

The following group of images are a small compilation of screenshots I took to show the difference between a Wii S-video cable and a Wii Composite cable. (Red, White, Yellow; comes with the Wii) The composite version will always be first, and then followed by the improved S-video version.

------------------------------------------------------

EverVote-Comp.jpg

EverVote-Svid.jpg

-----------

WiiMenu-Comp.jpg

WiiMenu-Svid.jpg

-----------

ZeldaDisc-Comp.jpg

ZeldaDisc-Svid.jpg

-----------

ZeldaFile-Comp.jpg

ZeldaFile-Svid.jpg

-----------

ZeldaLink-Comp.jpg

ZeldaLink-Svid.jpg

-----------

ZeldaPause-Comp.jpg

ZeldaPause-Svid.jpg

-----------

ZeldaWolf-Comp.jpg

ZeldaWolf-Svid.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

I think it provides a phenomenal improvement over the standard composite cable. The image is sharper, more color accurate, and just overall cleaner. Hopefully this is helpful and informative to someone. Thanks for reading.

Note: Due to the JPG compression involved, neither are a perfect representation. In reality, both images are raw, and neither contain any true artifacting. Also note that the screenshots were taken without deinterlacing being applied to the raw image.

great comparison, although I'd expect to see it in the Video displays explained sticky thread on the Wii section since we already have some comparisons there. (In the first pages at least)

Great work though, it sure reminded me how I should buy something better than composite for my Wii, and gave me the urge to go play Zelda... :P

Thanks for your work :)

my compsite looks as good as your s-video but seriously WHO ON EARTH has screen quality as bad as your composite:shock:

Due to the crappy scaling and low resolutions of TVs, most of them time it will look a lot better. The pixels being spaced apart and being so big will create the allusion of higher quality. Although, when actually recording the video feed at the native resolution would give you the same results.

my compsite looks as good as your s-video but seriously WHO ON EARTH has screen quality as bad as your composite:shock:

I play my Wii on my Dell 2005FPW through composite and it easily looks as blurry as in those screenshots.

Shame I still havent figured out a way to use DVI and S-Video apparently doesnt work with PAL Wiis.

:(((((