NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ghost_zero

First Mod-Chip for Wii (?)

Seems that there soon will be the first Mod-Chip (named "Wiinja" released for the Wii...

Still don't know if it is completely true because it didn't got released yet.

The manufacturer soon seem to be releasing it for about 40 Euro.

The news included a video that shows that it is working - of course this could be faked too - so not 100 percent sure yet but why not? After all I always thought the Wii would be most open to such things:

Here is the news:

(that one is only German): http://www.computerbase.de/news/consumer_electronics/konsolen/nintendo/2007/januar/erster_modchip_nintendos_wii/

Here the source of the German news (that one is in English):

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/26/wiinja-modchip-enables-wii-gamecube-backups-to-function/

What I am asking myself if this one would also be removing the region lock or not because now it only stats backup-disks are playable...

It seems like there also exists a manufacturer site.

Not that I like modchips (also not because of warranty) but if it removes region-lock I think it could be interesting too although I will wait for the Freeloader...

EDIT:

Features stats that it only boots not own region Gamecube games (and that also only through swaping - like Freeloader)... Otherwise you need regioned-game-backups of Wii or GameCube titles...

Yep, it's real, it's from a company that's already released DS back-up kits and it's been seen working in the flesh by some webmasters. Uses the second method spoken about at that conference by that German guy who first ran unsigned code on the GC (the video was posted on this forum somewhere I believe). Info has been in the public domain for a week or so now, mentioned it in the 60hz virtual console petition thread a while back.

Not interested till it can break region protection to be honest. The fact it's a drive chip means it'd be pretty much impossible for Nintendo to detect it online or bork it with a firmware update, but that's also the reason it can't crack the regional protection, much like X360 drive firmware mods can't.

Wonder if this'll be locked, probably down to which mod sees it first and the usual random chance - There's an unlocked flash card thread which I reckon would have been locked if it came before the M3 Simply review, but something about emulators on a console got locked recently with the frankly nonsensical reason that emulators "may be legal on the PC, but not on a console." (A better reason would have been "Stupid question, thread locked", but hey.)

Well doesn't matter... I just wanted to point out that there now seems to exist a modchip - I somehow things that it is interesting and modchips after all are legal in many/most countries what is illegal is to burn games you don't own and use the modchip to play them (in many or some countries it is also illegal to do that but the modchip itself is in most countries not illegal)...

As said: If the chip would only be interesting if it could break the Region-Lock...

Although: Also the drive has something to do with region locking normally... But not only the drive...

i love this chip, has been all over the web for about a week with some daft people saying "waste of time, Nintendo will just brake it with a firmware update" despite about 6 posts per thread saying the chip cant be touched by the firmware...

i wish these modders would spend their time on something more useful, Region Unlocking, Homebrew or Wii Media Center for example

Jep... I am also for region-unlocking and a media center would be cool too (e.g. playing DivX/Xvid/DVD-Movies a.s.o.)

Cool to hear but yeah i will wait till region is unlocked, im not bothered about online to be honest.

THe chip is crap it dosent let you do anything but playbackups from your region and considering there is only 3 games worth playing for the wii, its a pile of poo.

I'de love to lose my waranty and kill my Wii with a modchip. Sounds like a nice deal, if you want to screw open your Wii and rip games (taking a full, what, fifty hours to rip?) and write them. How usefull.

What's up with this crap anyway? I never played a copied game, at all. Never. Because I love original games. Because I think that the creators should be supported, fair or not. Stupid chip. Stupid name. Wiinja...

I'de love to lose my waranty and kill my Wii with a modchip. Sounds like a nice deal, if you want to screw open your Wii

I'm sure it sounds like a good deal to people who know how to solder or are willing to pay for installation.
and rip games (taking a full, what, fifty hours to rip?) and write them. How usefull.

I don't think any nefarious piratey types will rip the games themselves, just download them.

The time it takes to rip will be brought down, as will regional coding....Its early days for Wii hacking yet, the fact that they have broken the discs is an accomplishment.

I agree with Blue Star, it will be the 'Commercial' pirates who do the ripping and sell them at car boot sales and on ebay. I wont be buying anything other than original discs myself, but at the end of the day it will contribute to selling more base units to a crowd who wouldnt have normally considered it.

Sombody has got to rip them, not? And I don't want to be that guy.

Yeah, the groups of people who's hobby it is to rip games. I'm sure they do want to be that guy, excitedly watching their dedicated Wii ripping computer racing to beat the other guy from a rival group who also got the game 2 weeks before it's store date.

Yeah, the groups of people who's hobby it is to rip games. I'm sure they do want to be that guy, excitedly watching their dedicated Wii ripping computer racing to beat the other guy from a rival group who also got the game 2 weeks before it's store date.

And them..

(I so miss my underground past):weep:

And them..

(I so miss my underground past):weep:

So you traded it in for, say, a social life? Or was it a cupcake? I don't really seem to remember.

So you traded it in for, say, a social life? Or was it a cupcake? I don't really seem to remember.

Going back to a comment in one of the other threads "did the hacking scene rape you or steal toys from you as a child" ? I detect so much bitterness...

You wouldnt remember what I gave it up/quit for cos I never previously mentioned a reason.

I have always had a social life.....And I never traded it in, just felt that the time had come four years ago to quit whilst I was ahead.

Dont tar the complete scene with the same brush. Especially when you dont know it, or are not truly familiar with it.

Blocking something is not always that easy... Especially if the chip is installed e.g. in the DVD-Drive and is not detectable by the firmware because the firmware can't verify the drive in anyway (otherwise the drive would have needed to be prepared before)...

But could be wrong...

Anyway: I am only interested in a Wii FreeLoader...

I was actually going to start a new thread about the possibility of pirating VC games, but I saw this and thought better of it. Just out of interest, how is it that VC games can be downloaded and transferred to SD card but not played on another Wii? I know that there's encryption to a console-specific code and whatnot, but do you reckon there's a possibility that someone will crack the code and start releasing the VC games with some sort of re-encryptor for your console? That thought kinda scares me, as it completely destroys the VC. And considering you could get all the VC games currently available on a 2GB SD card extremely comfortably, with a download time of less than a few hours, I'm sure it would become rife across the net in next to no time.

Edit, my bad entirely, completely forgot about the STICKY at the very top of the forum! Sorry

Specs of a new chip, the Wiikey say:

- Direct boot of different NTSC region Wii games/backups on US and JAP consoles

- Partial support for NTSC region Wii games/backups on PAL consoles

Wonder what they mean by 'partial'.

Eh?

How could they mean "partial",I thought all the games would of worked.Wonder what they mean by it like BlueStar said.

I own a wiikey, and it does what it's supposed to do... BUT i haven't tested NTSC games yet, but might in the future...

Sign in to follow this