NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Oxigen_Waste

His Dark Materials... the movies

This concerns me...

I love the His Dark Materials trilogy, and in my opinion it beats both Potter and Eragon in the book category nouned fantasy for "young adults" (or big kids :blank:).

Even though the casting is, too say the least, good (Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, etc etc) and the director is Mr."not-a-god-but-not-all-that-bad" Chris Weitz (About a boy), I'm deeply concerned, because after the Potter movies fiasco and after watching Eragon this past thursday, I'm beggining to realize that they are going to ruin one of my favourite book series.

What do you think? Am I just paranoid?

:santa:

Heey...I'm sure this was my thread..:heh:

Anyway, yeah, they're going to ruin the untarnished legacy of the perfection that was HDM, but after watching About A Boy, I think Weitz has some balls and will stay true to the books, or not, what do I know?

Heey...I'm sure this was my thread..:heh:

Anyway, yeah, they're going to ruin the untarnished legacy of the perfection that was HDM, but after watching About A Boy, I think Weitz has some balls and will stay true to the books, or not, what do I know?

Sorry, didn't notice your thread, won't happen again. :cry:

Anyway, yes, weitz has some balls... and that's why I'm still hoping. Finger crossed... here's to a glourious trilogy. =/

I couldnt read the books, i got distracted, and they were very confusing

Stop doing whatever it is you're doing and go read those books. It's a favour your doing to yourself.

I couldn't put them down, it took me something like 4 days to finish all 3...

Yeah, I did the same. I feel that the movies won't be too bad and even if they are it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen, you could just read the books again and appreciate it even more.

I hope PD had a good say in the script.

I couldn't put them down, it took me something like 4 days to finish all 3...

It's compulsive reading... after you get to the sweet core, there's no stopping 'till the end... the despairing and perfectly crafted end.

Might have to dedicate a couple of days in the holidays to have a crack at these books, aswell as Eldest (ive read eragon twice)

Has anybody read The Wind on Fire trilogy? They are a fantastic set of books, wouldnt make good movies though. Pure Escapism

It's compulsive reading... after you get to the sweet core, there's no stopping 'till the end... the despairing and perfectly crafted end.

I actually died at the end, it was so tragic that I was depressed for like a month.

Maybe I'm just a sad bastard though, who knows, but it was truly amazing how a bunch of text can have such an emotional impact.

Has anybody read The Wind on Fire trilogy? They are a fantastic set of books, wouldnt make good movies though. Pure Escapism

Yeah, I read them, they were fun, the Wind Singer was a bit more childish, but Slaves of the mastery picked up nicely :)...I wanted cool flying powers like Bowman! :hmm:

I've brought The Subtle Knife home with me, so I'm going to read this over Christmas.

I am determined to read it this time.

I actually died at the end, it was so tragic that I was depressed for like a month.

Maybe I'm just a sad bastard though, who knows, but it was truly amazing how a bunch of text can have such an emotional impact.

I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same... I despaired, and everything just felt so much more bitter than ever before.

Philip Pullman is a genious.

I really didn't enjoy the books. I borrowed them off a friend, and I couldn't get past the enormous chip that Pullman has about religion. He reminds me of an angsty goth who thinks that he'll really stick it to "the man" by wearing one of those "Jesus is a ****" shirts.

I did find a flaw in the ultimate resolution:

Will and Lyra have to close up all the holes, so that no more dust is created, right? And people living in the wrong universe die early... Which is why they have to return to their original universes, because if they both lived in Lyra's universe then Will would die early, and although he wouldn't mind this, Lyra wouln't want to live on with him dying... the reverse (swapping "Lyra" with "Will" and replacing "him" with "her" in the previous sentence

) also holds true. But if both are willing to die earlier, then why not live in a universe that neither of them originates from, such as the one where the subtle knife comes from? I think this is a far better solution than the one that Will and Lyra go with, as both end up happy and with one another.

Yeah, I read them, they were fun, the Wind Singer was a bit more childish, but Slaves of the mastery picked up nicely :)...I wanted cool flying powers like Bowman! :hmm:

Mungo sounded like sex on legs

a flaw in the ultimate resolution

I disagree... it's not a flaw... first of all, they were too young to live alone in an unkown universe, unless they lived on the wrong side of the tracks and resorted to crime or somewhat. And furthermore... they both have important roles to play in their own universes.

Oh, and you're just underestimating the value they place on their lives.

I disagree... it's not a flaw... first of all, they were too young to live alone in an unkown universe, unless they lived on the wrong side of the tracks and resorted to crime or somewhat. And furthermore... they both have important roles to play in their own universes.

Oh, and you're just underestimating the value they place on their lives.

I'm just going by what they said- "I would be happy to live with you anywhere", "I don't care if I die early" etc. I'm probably not directly quoting because I read the books a few years ago and can't remember them word for word, but that was the gist of what they were saying.

By the way, I did use spoiler tags for a reason...

Bunch of stuff

Speaking of Pullman, are you going to be watching the BBC christmas special of Ruby in The Smoke? I haven't seen any ads for it or anything, so I dono when it's gonna be on...

Daniel Craig as Asriel:

TheGoldenCompass.jpg

I'm just going by what they said- "I would be happy to live with you anywhere", "I don't care if I die early" etc. I'm probably not directly quoting because I read the books a few years ago and can't remember them word for word, but that was the gist of what they were saying.

Yes, you read it right... but pullman stated clearly that they were in love. When you're in love you're ready to do anything just to be with the one with you love... that is, until you stop loving him/her. That's why I like Pullman... no fairy-tale values, just crude reality.

Oh, and about the spoilers, come on, I didn't say anything that unpredictable.

Speaking of Pullman, are you going to be watching the BBC christmas special of Ruby in The Smoke? I haven't seen any ads for it or anything, so I dono when it's gonna be on...

Actually, now that you mention Ruby in the smoke, although I enjoyed it... I don't love it. The same applies to all of Sally Lockhart's adventures.

Best books ever, seriously probably still my favourite series of all time, closely followed by HP. Which, as the poster said, got ruined in a way by the films(with books you make up the pictures and stuff in your mind, then see it all different when you see the films). I'm very grateful to a mate for throwing a book at me on a bus one day!

Has anyone got a link to a page or anything with info/news of these films? I've been hearing about them for quite a while yet never really heard much of substance. Whilst I'm aware it won't be as good as the books, I'd still want to see it, then read the books through again. If you're worried it'll ruin the books for you, don't go see the film, no matter what people say about them.

To anyone who hasn't read the books, read them. I'd definitely definitely recommend reading the books before seeing the films. I think what makes them so good is as Oxigen said, they're not fairy tale books, they've got alot of truths of life in them, and don't feel unrealistic at all.

Actually, now that you mention Ruby in the smoke, although I enjoyed it... I don't love it. The same applies to all of Sally Lockhart's adventures.

Yeah, it's not on the same level or scale as HDM, but they were enjoyable books, and I think the movie should be fun to watch. Not like I've got anything else to do :).

They forgot to shoot the opening scene which was quite amusing. Haha. Pullman's had a pretty active role in the film direction so hopefully they'll turn out quite nicely. Should be good.

Might have to dedicate a couple of days in the holidays to have a crack at these books, aswell as Eldest (ive read eragon twice)

<3 The Wind on Fire books... fookin' awesome.

I've still not got the last book, should really do that after christmas. I like the books, they knock the socks off of Harry Potter.

According to er no, this has a $150 million budget. My friend said that he saw them filming it in Oxford...

Sign in to follow this