NEurope
ndreamer

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

I've been doing this just so I can afford everything in Gleeba. I also did the sidequest and felt nothing for the gold giants, as I continued to massacre the lot of them. H-o-T wants a new pair of shoes....and hat, shield, sword, trousers. :D

I've found that once I get my new goods I tend to only use them for 1 dungeon before I run into the next town and then I have to start saving up again. :(

I don't get this personally. I hardly ever bought armor from shops, I've gotten by great with what I find and a few things I made. The last town I bought anything in was Bloomingdale.

I don't get this personally. I hardly ever bought armor from shops, I've gotten by great with what I find and a few things I made. The last town I bought anything in was Bloomingdale.

I like to give the bosses a good hiding so I buy the best armours and weapons I can before setting off. Not only does it keep my team safe and let them do a good amount of damage, I level up ALOT doing this which, meaning more skills and better stats. :)

I find that, whilst I feel strong enough with what I've got, the pace of the game means that I can never afford full sets of armour and weapons. For instance, I might decide I want to build a team all wearing armour with good magic defence; but I don't want to grind, and so I beat the boss and am soon tempted with a newer set of armour. It remains a mish-mash.

Thank god, it arrived today, I almost thought I'd have to go without this game for the Holiday. Tomorrow morning when I head out I'll be playing this bad boy.

I do the same, H-o-T. Means that I've been constantly grinding for money and not experience. Its taking me ages to get everything bought at Gleeba. But its giving me something to do because I can't find the lizard. ::shrug:

At the final boss now.. Brilliant music, made getting my ass kicked feel not so bad.

I do the same, H-o-T. Means that I've been constantly grinding for money and not experience. Its taking me ages to get everything bought at Gleeba. But its giving me something to do because I can't find the lizard. ::shrug:

Took me ages to find the stupid thing aswell. The in game hints didn't help either.

Just walk outside of the palace and to the left. You should see a tree in the shade, just use clap and it will appear.

I thought the thing was in the towns well but I couldn't move very far once I was down there. Never mind, at least it's done now.

Took me about 30 seconds to find it.

It was the hint that the Lizard likes Shadows to get out of the heat that helped me.

I knew about it being in the shadows from talking to people in the palace, however no-one mentioned needing to use a

party trick

to find it, afaik.

Someone did mention it, can't remember who though. It may have been the guy watching the dancers in the club at night. I went around clapping like an idiot. :D

On the plus side, the equipment you can buy in Gleeba is the best you'll encounter for quite some time. There is a new armour set for this game that sounded really good...

Gigasteel

...but I alchemised some of it, and in reality it's inferior to the armour you can buy in Gleeba. From what I've made, only the sword was worth it.

Someone did mention it, can't remember who though. It may have been the guy watching the dancers in the club at night. I went around clapping like an idiot. :D

I think the girl told me when I went into the bedroom. If I hadn't, I might not have known how to find it.

Gigasteel

...but I alchemised some of it, and in reality it's inferior to the armour you can buy in Gleeba. From what I've made, only the sword was worth it.

If you don't know, L and R will switch the alchemy list to the stats of the item you're trying to make. Keeps from wasting ingredients on armor and weapons lower than what you have.

Do Gold Golems not give out a lot of gold any more, I keep forgetting to check after I kill them?

After Drakky Wakky-woo went missing I didn't return to the dance club. I toured all the houses and that before heading into the palace and didn't think of returning.

I think the girl told me when I went into the bedroom. If I hadn't, I might not have known how to find it.

Ah, thats not so bad then. Can't believe I missed that as I went back round the palace to look His Dryness before broadening my search to the outdoors.

Do Gold Golems not give out a lot of gold any more, I keep forgetting to check after I kill them?

505 gold per Gold Golem. Better than the Exploads and Chocobo's in that area but compared to what weapons and armour are priced at in Gleeba, its still a mountainous task.

If you don't know, L and R will switch the alchemy list to the stats of the item you're trying to make. Keeps from wasting ingredients on armor and weapons lower than what you have.

Thanks very much, I really had no idea about that.

Finished the story earlier. My god, I have played a lot of DS RPG's, but wow, this is definitely some where in my top 3 now.

There's still so much to do, so much to see, try the other vocations because I played the game purely with the vocations I chose at the beginning to make it as challenging as possible...

The 'complete everything' side of me is still trembling in fear of how much I need to do, this is the guy that managed 120+ hours in The World Ends With You, a combined 250+ hours in Phantasy Star Zero, 190 hours on Soul Silver... This is definitely going to take one heck of a long time.

DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST, SPOILERIFIC SPOILER BOX WILL BE REVEALED

To be continued? Wow, I'm guessing this is why there are DLC quests with 'Story' tagged on.

Also, if you have finished too, Quest 39 at Porth Llafan is definitely where you should be aiming next.

Finished the story earlier. My god, I have played a lot of DS RPG's, but wow, this is definitely some where in my top 3 now.

There's still so much to do, so much to see, try the other vocations because I played the game purely with the vocations I chose at the beginning to make it as challenging as possible...

The 'complete everything' side of me is still trembling in fear of how much I need to do, this is the guy that managed 120+ hours in The World Ends With You, a combined 250+ hours in Phantasy Star Zero, 190 hours on Soul Silver... This is definitely going to take one heck of a long time.

Well now I really want to finish the main quest off. I've been lolly gaggin about leveling other vocations and doing sidequests.

What was your finish time for DQ IX?

I'm up to 65-66 hours now. (The last RPG I put this kinda of time into was Pokemon Platinum and to date that's only a bit over 80 (I saved at 80 exactly just after catching Dalgia/Palkia))

As an aside, I realized today that all the DS games I own only have single save slots.

What was your finish time for DQ IX?

About 52 hours in. About 30 quests done, only the vocations I chose at the start levelled etc, so I mainly just stuck on the main story line.

I've been thinking about switching vocations. I know I will at some point, its just a matter of planning ahead I think. Maybe I'll make them omnivocational in the skills I've started investing points in before switching to a different class. I was reading some chatter on another board last night and saw that a Paladin is a glorified Priest...? I was thinking along the lines of it being a tank class such as Cecil in FF IV and Titania in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

I've just been playing some tonight. Actually, I took the DS out to a football match earlier to do some canvassing but, predictably, got nothing. Anyway, I've got up to Batsureg now, who does everyone prefer out of the Dourbridge and Batsureg priests? :laughing:

Bought the dangerous bikini from the DQVC. I tried it on my mage and then bought her a pirate top because, y'know, the pirate top increases her stats.

As an aside, I realized today that all the DS games I own only have single save slots.

A fellow Shiren the Wanderer and Etrian Odyssey fan. :grin:

I've been thinking about switching vocations. I know I will at some point, its just a matter of planning ahead I think. Maybe I'll make them omnivocational in the skills I've started investing points in before switching to a different class. I was reading some chatter on another board last night and saw that a Paladin is a glorified Priest...? I was thinking along the lines of it being a tank class such as Cecil in FF IV and Titania in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

I've just been playing some tonight. Actually, I took the DS out to a football match earlier to do some canvassing but, predictably, got nothing. Anyway, I've got up to Batsureg now, who does everyone prefer out of the Dourbridge and Batsureg priests? :laughing:

Bought the dangerous bikini from the DQVC. I tried it on my mage and then bought her a pirate top because, y'know, the pirate top increases her stats.

A fellow Shiren the Wanderer and Etrian Odyssey fan. :grin:

I prefer normal priests...

The Paladin is not a Glorified Priest at all. He's a tank through and through. The Priest easily out heals what the Paladin can do and has larger MP reserves. The Paladin however has a really high Defense, and learns Kabuff quite early (my Priest is almost lvl50 and still only knows Buff).

As for the assumption about Shiren the Wanderer and Etrian Odyssey...if I could find the games, even used, I'd likely be fans. Alas I merely have a small DS collection of Pokemon and Dragon Quest.

Paladin's can't learn Zing, annoyingly, so that was one big downside of switching my Priest to one.

My clear time for the main quest was about 58 hours. Afterwards I unlocked the Sage class and changed my Mage. Definitely showing a lot of promise; bounced her up to Level 20 before long thanks to some Liquid Metal Slime grindage. Very handy balance between Magical Might and Magical Healing, although whereas the Mage has kickass spells like Frizzle and Kacrack, the Sage learns things like Zammle, which is the sort of spell I attribute to weak dungeon fodder.

Might swap my main hero Thief into an Armamentalist, just to try that out (though I'll miss the stealing ability), and been thinking of turning my Warrior into a Gladiator. I think I should probably equip new weapons to everyone and get those skill levels up - I've stuck with a Sword, Wand, Sword, Spear set-up since the start of the game...

Paladin's can't learn Zing, annoyingly, so that was one big downside of switching my Priest to one.

As long as one party member has Kazing, I don't really care about the rest having any revival spells (Although I always have a reviving(I know it's not the full name) leaf, on my highest defensive character) Just in case the one that had the spell dies.

I have yet to have any real problems in any Dragon Quest game with the tactics I use (Dragon Quest II is an exception though fffffuuuu that game is tough)

I got the impression the game is suggesting your Warrior becomes a Paladin, as it's unlocked via his "Courage" skill set. I'm going to turn my Warrior, Dave, into a Paladin eventually, but he's so tough I want to max-out his Courage first. Incidentally, each character's "special" (5th) skill set is the one to max-out, as they're the only one who has it.

I'm thinking of turning my Mage into a Priest, and my Priest into a Mage, to pick up the transferable skills I haven't been investing in, such as Wands. You have to get to Level 99 to max-out two skill sets, but only Level 38 to max-out one, but I'm saving all this for post-game anyway. I'm assuming there will be some rock hard bosses!

Maybe the Priest can become a Sage or something, and the Mage a Magic Knight?

I've just been playing some tonight. Actually, I took the DS out to a football match earlier to do some canvassing but, predictably, got nothing.

Do you need to leave it in a special mode for that, or do you just have to have your DS in sleep mode?

Yeah, what a rip off! To be honest, the graphics aren't good enough to be sexy anyway! I'm hoping you can alchemise it into something better.