Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

HMV = the worst f**king retailer in Britain

darthbane2k

i dont know why people are getting so heated over this. It does sound like HMV are making some mistakes, either by having a database that isnt suitable or by taking too many preorders. However the shop assistants are just following orders from head office and doing what they can.

I can feel his fustration, as a big nintendo fan he wants a wii on day one and was believed HMV was be a good place to go and they had said they'd let him know far in advance if he was gonna be in the first allocation of stock. As it stands he doesnt know what stock they're getting and doesnt know his number, but it sounds like the staff dont know either - so unless he suddenly find out the store is getting like 1,000 wiis then he wont feel secure in getting one from them on launch day.

Anyway, he has now secured a wii with Toy R Us, so he should be set on launch day. Lets try leave it there, i feel for him and for the HMV employees who'll get this problem every day from avid fans that want to feel secure in their pre-order. Continuing arguing won't change the situation.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets try leave it there, i feel for him and for the HMV employees who'll get this problem every day from avid fans that want to feel for secure in their pre-order.Continuing arguing won't change the situation.

the crux of the matter, thats why I'm bowing out of this thread (even though by posting here I'm kinda breaking that, but definitly not posting again in here)

Found this in AVForums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427631

I spoke to a staff member today at the Oxford St branch in London about their Wii launch plan and they said that they had a meeting this morning about allocations. Apparently the HMV store (the one nearest to Centre Point) are getting in 250 Wiis for launch day and then a hundred or so more week after week until Christmas. He also said that they will have a midnight opening..

Now I dont know what to believe, because when I call HMV they continue to deny knowing allocations, AND they deny any midnight event. Yet Oxford St staff are suggesting otherwise...

i've also preordered with HMV, who have just called to confirm i will get one for launch. my local store is only getting 7, i'm number 2 in the queue.

knew I said I wouldn't post here, just curious which store you ordered from?

Well this news, coupled with the guy in AVForums who claims he was told HMV Oxford Streets allocation, suggests that HMV now are prepared to reveal their allocation to customers. I however did not recieve a phone call from my HMV, so Im gonna assume I will not get a Wii at launch.

Flameboy - I know you said you would not post in here again, but could you let us know whether you have heard anything at your branch?

Im sick of these fools, absolutely sick of them.

We are less than THREE WEEKS from the wiis launch and HMV oxford st (yes that BIG store) are STILL UNABLE to confirm

1) how many wiis they are getting and if those (like myself) who have preordered will get one at launch

2) whether they will have a midnight opening event

Every other major retailer has let their pre order customers know where they stand, HMV however were quick to take the £30 deposit and cant be arsed to provide us with any more info since.

well... as someone who is number one in the list at their local game, i'd love to sympathise... but i don't

:D

Well this news, coupled with the guy in AVForums who claims he was told HMV Oxford Streets allocation, suggests that HMV now are prepared to reveal their allocation to customers. I however did not recieve a phone call from my HMV, so Im gonna assume I will not get a Wii at launch.

Begining to realise that you over-reacted yet? HMV will issue all of the relevant press statements + send out order confirmations when theyre good and ready (not all have gone out yet, so i wouldnt worry).

I dont really get the preorder concept tbh. Most places will be over-sold so the first batch of Wii units will all go on preorders. This means that anywhere that took preorders isnt doing to see a Wii on the shop floor unti at least the 2nd batch, possibly even after xmas :wtf:

right darthbane don't assume you aren't getting one just cos of the lack of phone call at this stage, I don't think all stores will be phoning, until the machines are in the store and then ring rounds will be done to check who still wants and doesnt want them. However if you go in they will maybe be able to tell you.

Well largely thanks to that 'diva' Nintendork, my previous thread was locked:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10634

In this thread I shared information obtained by Nintendos PR people 'Cake Media' (who Nintendork refused to call to very the info I shared of which he flamed me for) that HMV Oxford Street London would handle the OFFICIAL Nintendo Wii midnght launch event.

Some more news has come through of the event and pre-orders

The member of staff said that anyone can turn up on the night as they're expecting 500-600 Wiis on the night. He also said that there are around 250 Wii pre-orders so far at the store so these will be put aside from their allocation and the remainder sold to people without pre-orders.

Ian Wright will be there as well as a few other celebs. There will also be Wii stations placed at the back of the store for people to have a go at playing on it.

Here we go again..

napoleondynamiteio7.gif

All just a popularity contest (fun)

===

Britain has the fattest, unhealthiest and laziest children in Europe, with an estimated one million to be classified obese by 2010. If nothing is done, experts predict this generation of couch potato kids will die before their parents.

Arsenal football legend Ian Wright wants to prove that things can, and should, be different. His dream is to set up after-school clubs across the UK to specifically target unfit kids. But first he's got to prove it can work with a group of eight overweight 13-year-olds, and he has just six months to get them fit.

In the opening episode, Ian meets the kids and puts them through their paces. But it doesn't take long for the excuses to start. How will one of England's most famous sportsmen cope with a group of teenagers who hate sport and exercise? What will he do when his approach comes under fire from their parents? And will the kids survive when Ian turns up the heat?

Nice one Wrighty, let me guess, Wii Sports is just as much exercise as the real thing? Or do you think it will encourage kids to do more sports?

I think both answers are no.

Nintendork wasn't flaming you. Nintendork was stating facts. You were interpreting it as flaming, and overreacting, as you have been throughout this whole thread aswell.

"OMG U R TEH NUB GO DIE PLZ!!1!" is flaming.

"Nintendo have not confirmed this."/"This could've gone in the other thread." is not flaming.

Get them right.

Was that directed at me? :heh:

I just keep trying to calm him down a bit.. He does get upset quickly.

I move to not argue about these things any more, anyway. We're not getting anywhere.

(And I still move to have this thread locked as well.. Though he'll get pissy at me for saying that.)

Was that directed at me? :heh:

I just keep trying to calm him down a bit.. He does get upset quickly.

I move to not argue about these things any more, anyway. We're not getting anywhere.

(And I still move to have this thread locked as well.. Though he'll get pissy at me for saying that.)

no,no,no,no lol- you are doing ok trying to calm things down haha

jeez, this thread was getting quite friendly...now look what's happened.

Lets keep it friendly. Im just going to ignore that 'double act'.

Anyway, as it stands, the midnight launch at HMV is beginning to sound exciting. Looks like I had nothing to worry about at all, as stock should be plentiful. Although I have yet to have that officially confirmed.

Being a HMV employee, do you have any info to share about the event, and on another note - is it true HMV have stopped issuing 'Gamer Reward Cards'?

Being a HMV employee, do you have any info to share about the event, and on another note - is it true HMV have stopped issuing 'Gamer Reward Cards'?

Yeah it is true- mainly owing to the lower retail costs of games now (mostly 360), the xbox 360 from £39.95, basically the margins are so low they apparently can't afford to be giving away more money, (some 360 games cost us £34 to buy in!) if you have one already though you can use them.

the reward card was only meant as an experiment, to see how it worked, rumours are it could be spread out to the rest of the stores products as a loyalty card altho I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as this is just gossip.

basically they've stopped giving them out till xmas. then gonna review it after that. didn't think we were meant to tell customers tho, I just tell people we've run out...

oh and good lad for deciding to keep playing nicely LOL:D

I have the attitude of a flamer, but I keep my attacks against the post, not the poster. Which is the distinction.

The only exception I can think of was BigTac because he had a reputation of coming in and spouting bollocks and causing a torrent of speculations.

There is an "official" Nintendo UK press release this week which will clear it up.

Lets move on

Yeah it is true- mainly owing to the lower retail costs of games now (mostly 360), the xbox 360 from £39.95, basically the margins are so low they apparently can't afford to be giving away more money, (some 360 games cost us £34 to buy in!) if you have one already though you can use them.

the reward card was only meant as an experiment, to see how it worked, rumours are it could be spread out to the rest of the stores products as a loyalty card altho I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as this is just gossip.

basically they've stopped giving them out till xmas. then gonna review it after that. didn't think we were meant to tell customers tho, I just tell people we've run out...

oh and good lad for deciding to keep playing nicely LOL:D

Thanks for the heads up

I'd have to say, whilst Nintendork does have the attitude of a flamer, and he can annoy me for it at times, I know he isn't, we play Mario Kart DS often and he is actually alright on MSN lol, so if you have worries that he is a w@nker, then its not in fact, he's ok LOL!

EDIT:

but anyway yeah we should move, darthbane if I do find anything out I'll let you know, but I doubt we will to be honest, I'm so far away from London it matters not to us, we will probably get to read about it afterwards in the company newsletter....