NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
McPhee

Sony's Quaterly Profits

Sony's profits are down because they are investing in gaming (+ a few disasters).

Nintendo's profits are up BUT they take money out of gaming. i.e. keep it in the bank or give it to share holders.

Sony = "Bravo!":)

Nintendo = "hmm":(

Keeping it in the bank=profit too dumbass

I don't get what you mean by taking money out of gaming...They're making games and game machines and selling them for profit.

I dont particulary like the playstation, but as a company they used to make great stuff! The world would be very different without them i.e no cds, walkman etc

True. But as you implied, they are pretty irrelivant to most markets now. What Sony products are actually worth the money these days? The TV market has been taken over by Panasonic, Philips, Samsung and Pioneer (in terms of quality). Portable Music; the iPod. Laptops; Acer, Toshiba, Hewlett Packard. Headphones; Senheisser, Philips. The list goes on, Blu-Ray is pretty much their last chance saloon.

My only real problem with the company is that they charge premium price for middling products. They need to pull their heads out of their backsides for a minute and realise they aint market leaders (in quality terms) any more.

Pretty much what Switch said...

Though to have such a low profit, means they've spent a lot. Probably on the ps3... well all I can say is 'Lol to them'

sony bashing is fun but we have to respect sony for the image they brought to gaming.Lets face it if nintendo were still market leaders we would still have that nerdy image that we had in the 16bit era

I don't get what you mean by taking money out of gaming...They're making games and game machines and selling them for profit.

... and that profit goes into the fat cat pockets of the shareholders. (spent on drink, drugs and women no doubt)

In contrast companies like microsoft and sony reinvest most the money they make into new products, research or just subsidising manufacturing. So they are unable to claim a vast cash profit on their balance sheets.

I personally dont see why nintendo making a paper profit should make anyone feel good about the console they buy. If anything, it probably means that nintendo are charging too much and getting away with it!

... and that profit goes into the fat cat pockets of the shareholders. (spent on drink, drugs and women no doubt)

In contrast companies like microsoft and sony reinvest most the money they make into new products, research or just subsidising manufacturing. So they are unable to claim a vast cash profit on their balance sheets.

I personally dont see why nintendo making a paper profit should make anyone feel good about the console they buy. If anything, it probably means that nintendo are charging too much and getting away with it!

Nintendo spent just as much in R&D for the Wii as Microsoft did on the 360.

You're basically painting Sony and Microsoft out to be gaming philanthropists, but they have agendas the same as Nintendo, theirs just aren't about making profit in the short-term. They want your living rooms, they want that space under your TVs; they want convergence, they want control.

I have more respect for Nintendo as a videogame company as that is what they are, plain and simple. Sony and Microsoft are both trying to use games as a stepping stone to breach a wider market — they aren't games companies, just companies that happen to have a finger in the gaming pie.

sony bashing is fun but we have to respect sony for the image they brought to gaming.Lets face it if nintendo were still market leaders we would still have that nerdy image that we had in the 16bit era

We still do...

Keeping money in the bank is stupid as the interest you get on it is so low. You really want to invest just about all of it into something that will get you more than the bank interest.

Thats probably what I would spend money on if I had enough to throw away. Why should these people be any different?

erm... isnt that the whole point of business? Shareholders not making any money dont stay shareholders for long. No shareholders = bankrupt business

I personally dont see why nintendo making a paper profit should make anyone feel good about the console they buy.

Buy some shares, then it will make you feel good ;)

We still do...

You're daaamn right. ;)

That's a whole new debate right there, but a few things have changed since the 16bit era, and a lot of things haven't.

Sign in to follow this