Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac external DVD-RW

That Guy

I'm looking for an external DVD-RW drive for my Macbook, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I could find one, or better than that, what model to get because, I've seen some, but have no idea whether they will be compatible with Macs or whether they are even any good.

Some say they work with Macs but there is no Mac software. What's all that about?

Any help would be appreciated, although I do kinda have an idea of where to get them from just not what is compatible with Macs.

Don't go to the Apple store, they rip you off often.

Get a generic Sony one, dabs/ebuyer are typically good for such devices.. though if you are familiar and confident shopping on eBay then give it a go.

Apple Store is great for Apple products at retail price.. but for accesories and other devices you get a poor selection, often from premium suppliers which will charge extra.

Sony are strong supporters of Apple for external burners, there was an article about a year or two ago before Super Drive went mainstream.

It's only £60 for a USB one so I think I'll get that. Firewire isn't £20's worth better than USB.

Thanks for the help.

OK so I wont be getting them. ALL out of stock.

It's worth it... every single penny.

USB packets have to be sent by CPU (bigger cpu usage) firewire doesn't need the CPU at all and transfers a lot more data (even if the theoretical speed is lower, all that with zero hit for your system...

Seriously... USB is crap on both external HDD's and external CD/DVD drives drives, IMO, that one of the reasons I like mac, they always support firewire.

USB's only advantage would be compatibility with most devices out there, including PC's without a firewire port, aswell as ultra-slow recording speed through usb 1.1 bus. (if that's even possible)