NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Dare

Are you experienced?

So, today is the anniversary of Jimi Hendrix's death. In tribute I'm listiening to Are You Experienced. Very Loud.

What a genius :)

I thought this was going to involve sex somehow.

But anyway, Hendrix was a legend and it shouldn't have to be any sort of anniversary for him to be appreciated.

In memory of Jimi Hendrix I shall play "Spanish Castle Magic" on Guitar Hero on all 4 difficulty settings.

I listen to some of his stuff quite often, anyway. But, right now, i am on my fifth listen of Foxy Listen.

Here i come, baby!

Jimi Hendrix was alright, I respect what he did for aspiring guitarists, even though he's a tad overrated. Will be listening to my copy of Are you Experienced .

I knew you'd say that, Bard :p

it's about so much more than skill with Hendrix- there's just so much amazing feeling behind his music it's a real pleasure to listien to. That's why he remains my favourite guitarist.

I knew you'd say that, Bard :p

it's about so much more than skill with Hendrix- there's just so much amazing feeling behind his music it's a real pleasure to listien to. That's why he remains my favourite guitarist.

Quoted and yellowed for truth.

Jimi Hendrix was alright, I respect what he did for aspiring guitarists, even though he's a tad overrated. Will be listening to my copy of Are you Experienced .

How exactly was he overated?

Not only was he one of the pioneers of guitar effects, his sheer technique was unparalled, even now.

Um, yeah, right, I agree, some of his songs were downright awesome, Voodoo, Red House and little wing were fucking brilliant tracks, but in terms of his virtuosity, he was overrated, sure he could use wah real good, but his technique was a little sloppy, I can think of plenty of guitarists inside the blues genre that are better (and hundreds from other genres), in pretty much every field. He's still a legend though and I appreciate his work.

I'd like it if you listed every one of the "hundreds from other genres". Pretty please?

Ok I'll list a few:

Jason Becker

Mark Tremonti

Jeff Waters

Fredrik Ã…kesson

Michael Amott

Christopher Amott

Zakk Wylde

Tony Iommi

Eddie Van Halen

André Olbrich

Marcus Siepen

Nergal

Buckethead

Jason Suecof

Alexi Laiho!!

Roope Latvala

Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P)

Jon Schaffer

Herman Li

Sam Totman

John Petrucci

Ernie Carletti

Larry Tarnowski

Ralph Santolla

Santana

Bjorn Gelotte

Jesper Stromblad

Yanick Gers

Dave Murray

Adrian Smith

Antti Kokko

Pekka Kokko

Adam Dutkiewicz

Mark Morton

Willie Adler

Gary Rossington

Brent Hinds

Bill Kelliher

Dave Mustaine

Chris Poland

Marty Friedman

Al Pitrelli

Glenn Drover

Fredrik Thordendal

Kirk Hammett

Cliff Burton

Karl Sanders

Dallas Wade

Mikael Akerfeldt

Dimebag Darrell

Randy Rhoads

Luca Turilli

Dominique Leurquin

Andreas Kisser

Jonathan Donais

Matt Bachand

Dan Weller

Pin

Jeff Hanneman

Kerry King

Yngwie Malmsteen

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Devin Townsend

Jani Liimatainen

Alex Solknick

Matt Heafy

Corey Beauleau

Yasunori Mitsuda

Dave Baksh

Tom Morello

Not quite a hundred, but the best I could do without going into it too much.

Edit: Let me add a few:

Jimmy Page

Glenn Tipton

KK Downing

Brian May

Peter Lindgren

Paul Fricking Gilbert!! How the hell did I forget him??

Eddie Clarke

Reb Beach

Brian Tatler

Are you making me laugh?

After a quick browse, i loled at Tom Morello and Dave Baksh. The guy from Sum 41 is better than Hendrix?

Seriously, you should go an research the guitar a little more. I bet most of the guys in that list would slap you for saying they are better than Hendrix

Are you making me laugh?

After a quick browse, i loled at Tom Morello and Dave Baksh. The guy from Sum 41 is better than Hendrix?

Seriously, you should go an research the guitar a little more. I bet most of the guys in that list would slap you for saying they are better than Hendrix

Oops, did I put him in? Well, Morello is definately better if you listen to some of his solos, he has some serious skill, he can shred. As for Bakshy, I've seen him perform some reasonably decent solos, and he plays metal rhythm and he's not to be judged by the boundaries of his (shit) band (which he's left), but I suppose that was me overdoing it a bit, all the rest still apply though, you can't say they're not.

Oops, did I put him in? Well, Morello is definately better if you listen to some of his solos, he has some serious skill, he can shred. As for Bakshy, I've seen him perform some reasonably decent solos, and he plays metal rhythm and he's not to be judged by the boundaries of his (shit) band (which he's left), but I suppose that was me overdoing it a bit, all the rest still apply though, you can't say they're not.

Don't get me wrong, all these guys can handle a guitar, but I only consider Vai and Satch to be in the same league as Hendrix.

Don't get me wrong, all these guys can handle a guitar, but I only consider Vai and Satch to be in the same league as Hendrix.

Then you, my friend are vastly misinformed. Plenty of those guitarists are better than Vai and Satriani, Jimi Hendrix was no where near close to their playing quality, he was a good musician, but his technique was sloppy in recent comparison.

As for when you say "I bet most of the guys in that list would slap you for saying they are better than Hendrix" I'm sure Plato would do the same if you insinuated he was a greater mind than socrates. People generally spent their lives trying to surpass their idols, and when they do, they won't hear any of it.

Then you, my friend are vastly misinformed. Plenty of those guitarists are better than Vai and Satriani, Jimi Hendrix was no where near close to their playing quality, he was a good musician, but his technique was sloppy in recent comparison.

As for when you say "I bet most of the guys in that list would slap you for saying they are better than Hendrix" I'm sure Plato would do the same if you insinuated he was a greater mind than socrates. People generally spent their lives trying to surpass their idols, and when they do, they won't hear any of it.

I'm afraid to say you really have no idea what your talking about. If you knew anything then you would know Vai is considered the greatest guitarist in the world, not kerry king or that bloody fool buckethead from the new shitty guns n' roses, or Mark Tremonti of Creed/Alter Bridge.

Hendrix was a legend and it shouldn't have to be any sort of anniversary for him to be appreciated.

Couldn't agree more.

Sign in to follow this