NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Marthuser

DivX to MPEG4 converter

I need a DivX to MPEG converter, I searched through google, but almost all of them you have to pay for, and the other ones dont seem to want to download.

Does anyone have a converter that's free?

You could always just try Windows Movie Maker. As long as you have the codecs, it'll do pretty much anything!

wow, thanks for the quick reply. I'd totally forgotten about VirtualDub. I had it installed, but I didn't get around to re-installing after I formatted. As for movie maker, Ill give it a shot. Thanks again.

Virtualdubmod also doesn't do mp4. Although, now I think you may be talking about using an mpeg4 codec in an avi container, which divx already is. With video conversions it's always helpful to give the reasons for the conversion and why you need to change to a particular type of video.

well, my friend encoded some movies for me, into DivX. I want to burn them to dvd, because then I can probably fit 2-3 movies per disc. I thought encoding to an MPEG4 using VirtualDubMod would work, but it didn't. What can I do?

MPEG2 & video encoding is slow - get used to it. I get about 50fps using the optimise for speed button and a 3GHz processor. If you chose optimise for quality then you reap the time penalty.

Well, I encoded it awhile ago, but then left it at that. It suffered quite a quality drop, though, anyway to get around that? Im burning it to a dvd as im typing, to see if the quality shows up a bit better on a tv. I got a 3.2Ghz, with HT if that matters.

I don't know why you're talking about MPEG4 if you want to burn to DVD -- regular DVD uses MPEG2.

For super simple DVD authoring, as I mentioned in some other thread, you can use the latest Nero.

It's not free if you care about legality. I don't so much.

I use Showbiz, it came free with my computer. I converted a Xvid to Microsoft avi and the burned it out as a DVD file. It plays on normal dvd players, but is the size of a DVD movie.

But I need a program that will convert Xvid to Xvid, what I mean is spliting a file but keeping the same format, Showbiz won't do it.

Virtualdub/Virtualdubmod would do the trick. Direct Stream copy would just copy the video but you can use the GUI to cut out parts that you don't want.

Sign in to follow this