NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KKOB

If Wii succeeds . . .

sorry if this doesnt make much sense right now, but im tired and incoherant but. . .

If the Wii is successfull in gaining a large share of the market by bringing in new gamers etc, and if Microsoft and Sony and even Nintendo end up with similar market share then where would that leave the games industry and what would happen next?

would Sony and Microsoft be forced to incorporate Wii-mote style controls into their future plans?

would Nintendo have to keep coming up with new innovative ideas or will they 'rest' for a generation only increasing grpahical capabilities?

i know its too early to discuss properly but im interested in what people think IF Wii gets the larger market share or if the market share is practically a three way split.

any ideas?

There will be new ways to innovate based on what becomes financially feasible in the next five years. Force feedback could become directional and include variations in "rumbliness" etc. Controllers could be released featuring small OLED screens that could display data that the other players weren't supposed to see (cards in a poker game etc.) A second generation online system could feature some major enhancements as well (hopefully tiered service for those who like features vs. simplicity etc.).

There would also be a new handheld released in that time, so Nintendo could further increase the interoperability between handheld and home consoles.

I realize that the ideas I listed may be completely stupid, but the point was that I'm sure Nintendo has many ideas they wish they could implement, but the tech just isn't affordable/reliable/whatever enough yet. I'd expect the next Wii to have a good amount of storage built-in.

There will be new ways to innovate based on what becomes financially feasible in the next five years. Force feedback could become directional and include variations in "rumbliness" etc. Controllers could be released featuring small OLED screens that could display data that the other players weren't supposed to see (cards in a poker game etc.) A second generation online system could feature some major enhancements as well (hopefully tiered service for those who like features vs. simplicity etc.).

There would also be a new handheld released in that time, so Nintendo could further increase the interoperability between handheld and home consoles.

I realize that the ideas I listed may be completely stupid, but the point was that I'm sure Nintendo has many ideas they wish they could implement, but the tech just isn't affordable/reliable/whatever enough yet. I'd expect the next Wii to have a good amount of storage built-in.

They're not stupid, they're just advancements on what already exisists in gaming. i think Nintendo will always surprise and innovate but i just cant see where to go fro here, and what will eventually happen. will this leads to a single format (sorry to bring that up again) or how will the companies differentiate themselves and their future consoles from each other?

would Sony and Microsoft be forced to incorporate Wii-mote style controls into their future plans?

I think they already had the feeling to innovate (read: copy). The PS3 motion sensor is the best example and I read an MS interview (can't remember who was interviewed because it was a while back on gamefront.de) where they talked about a possible future motion control system.

I don't expect Ninty to innovate next-gen much. So far there were always two generations with almost the same controls that got more refined and better graphics.

I don't expect Ninty to innovate next-gen much. So far there were always two generations with almost the same controls that got more refined and better graphics.

Imo, it´s wrong to look in to the past about this simply because Yamauchi´s Nintendo and Iwata´s Nintendo are so different. Iwata has planned a strategy where new games and new ideas play a key role so why to stop that if Wii will be a success? I think Iwata has realized that Nintendo needs to be always step ahead of its competitiors or otherwise Nintendo does nothing but help them.

If?

sorry lol by If i mean IF they sell a shit load of hardware and become market leader OR if its a pretty 30/30/30 ish split (i know it only makes 90!).

Nintendo will succeed with Wii its justa question of in what teratories and to what degree.

Nintendo will succeed with Wii its justa question of in what teratories and to what degree.

I have a feeling that the Japs are gonna go nuts for the Wii, and Nintendo has always been quite popular in America.

It's just Europe that's the problem.

Nintendo won't make it on top this gen i beleiev but people are changing and only now beginning to realise sony is talking shit.it took them long enough*looks at psp/ds sales*

I dont think nintendo will win this time but it will go better than the gamecube though

Well the Xbox 360 is a failure already because it has failed to barely penetrate the Japanese market.

But if Nintendo manage to sell well in all three territories then hopefully that could set Nintendo up for becoming the market leader in the generation after the Wii.

I have a feeling that the Japs are gonna go nuts for the Wii, and Nintendo has always been quite popular in America.

It's just Europe that's the problem.

that makes no sense when Brain Training and Nintendogs have sold more in europe than in the US or Japan.

Well the Xbox 360 is a failure already because it has failed to barely penetrate the Japanese market.

But if Nintendo manage to sell well in all three territories then hopefully that could set Nintendo up for becoming the market leader in the generation after the Wii.

Japan doesnt mean the world ya know! the only good thing out of 'wining' in japan is that all the japanese developers are bound to work for your console, however the 360 is breaking this mould and changing Jap developers views so that they start thinking about the west as a viable market. i mean capcom have embraced the 360 and konami too and prob alot more that i have forgotten lol

that makes no sense when Brain Training and Nintendogs have sold more in europe than in the US or Japan.

Fine so are you saying that Europe isn't going to be the biggest problem for Nintendo barring Austalia.

Playstation has always been dominant in Europe and even back in the days of the SNES the Megadrive sold better than it in Europe.

Fine so are you saying that Europe isn't going to be the biggest problem for Nintendo barring Austalia.

Playstation has always been dominant in Europe and even back in the days of the SNES the Megadrive sold better than it in Europe.

no im saying europes market is changing, i mean with all the 'non games' and similar things like singstar having awesome success here, i can see Wii becoming very very popular. yes it will be hard, but if Nintendo market the Wii like the DS then there will be no problem in beating the 360's hardware uptake.

The 360 has done alright so far, the real challenge is to see how it fares against the PS3. If they can overcome that and take a bigger share of the market then it will be a success. I dont even want to think of the numbers Live will do when Halo 3 arrives....

Yeah, Europe has the worst taste in systems. How the hell anyone could think that the Megadrive was better than the Snes is beyond me. Dont get me wrong I have owned both machines and both have quailty titles but the Snes was just so much better.

As for the topic at hand I think Nintendo will keep coming up with the goods in terms of how to play games and Microsoft will continue to push the online gaming boundries on consoles. Sony will continue to copy both unless the PS3 fails and they leave the console business...I can hope cant I?

The Playstation actually does nothing for videogames, it just has some of the best ones on it.

The Playstation actually does nothing for videogames, it just has some of the best ones on it.

too true!

it DID do something by bringing games further into the public conscious with the original PlayStation but thats about it.

too true!

it DID do something by bringing games further into the public conscious with the original PlayStation but thats about it.

I still class that as a bad thing, they brought chavs into gaming.

I mean the charts are a joke over here in Europe. They have been getting better but the likes of Fifa Street and movie licensed turd still gets in.

Wrong, brain training has sold well over 1 million (infact I heard 2 million) in japan, when europe has only sold just over 500k.

I still class that as a bad thing, they brought chavs into gaming.

I mean the charts are a joke over here in Europe. They have been getting better but the likes of Fifa Street and movie licensed turd still gets in.

yes but it was required, people were moaning at the time that games are geeky etc, now i dont know a person who i havent convinced to by a (Nintendo) Console :P

but yeah the charts are a joke but its horses for courses. PlayStation does pander to these Chavs gaming tastes (and EA does mroe so grrrrr!) but hey it makes them money.

as long as innovative interesting games keep coming out-i dont think i'd mind too much for the now.

Wrong, brain training has sold well over 1 million (infact I heard 2 million) in japan, when europe has only sold just over 500k.

yes but its been in japan for YEARS!!!! its had the fastest sell through by far here in this region!! so :p hehe (im rarely wrong mate, though i love it when i am :D)

The European charts amaze me, because they actually have games like Shadow the hedgehog and Simpsons: Hit & Run high up in the charts, nor forgetting the 46th duplicate football game made by EA thats the same as the previous one besides one new footballer and 2 new textures, perhaps, and of course, that steaming horse shit known as Sonic Heroes.

yes but it was required, people were moaning at the time that games are geeky etc, now i dont know a person who i havent convinced to by a (Nintendo) Console :P

Still annoys the hell out of me though when people dont know what Zelda is yet have no problem discussing tripe games.

that steaming horse shit known as Sonic Heroes.

Why does everyone hate Sonic Heroes, clearly none of you know of the unholiness that is Shadow the Hedgehog.

Still annoys the hell out of me though when people dont know what Zelda is yet have no problem discussing tripe games.

THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!

Sign in to follow this