NEurope
somme

Stargate TV Shows

Can't a lot of the fault be down to Stargate Universe not being a good Stargate show?

Unfortunately thats what ive been saying (although not that I thought it was bad). I think people are too quick to blame SyFy, the show just wasnt as popular as previous versions and had bad ratings.

I'm not saying that either. I liked SGU, nowhere near as much as SG1, but I still liked it. However, the hand it was dealt by SyFy made it have to fight an even more uphill battle

Edited by Serebii

Can't a lot of the fault be down to Stargate Universe not being a good Stargate show?

It certainly can, but the answer there for Syfy would be to cancel SGU and renew a popular Stargate series, or produce and entirely new one, instead they decided to can the whole lot, which to me makes no sense

SG1 ratings were astronomical and you could say the show saved syfy

SGa again a ratings hit

SGU lowest ratings highest budget

2/3 showing good ratings to me says its good sense to continue the franchise

You seem to be confusing Syfy with MGM. It was MGM who shelved the entire Stargate franchise and it would be them who could pitch a new series or carry on with the planned movies.

Syfy aren't really to blame, sure they put it on at unpopular times, but if the show was good enough people would have watched it whenever it was on. Personally I think the show might have done better as a new show, without the Stargate connection. The gate never got used as anything other than a teleportation device in the show, there was nothing that really tied it to the franchise so seriously it couldn't have been rewritten. Stargate has been on a downward spiral since RDA retired anyway, it was only a matter of time for it to get canned, SGU was just the straw that broke the camels back, it got too far away from being what Stargate originally was.

You seem to be confusing Syfy with MGM. It was MGM who shelved the entire Stargate franchise and it would be them who could pitch a new series or carry on with the planned movies.

not really, without a willing for Syfy to take on a new franchise MGM aren't going to pitch a new idea, and can't keep it going with no willing network, its not worth the cost of DVD movies alone

from syfy's own twitter

Syfy twittered this announcement:

Announcement today: Syfy will end its original action-adventure series Stargate Universe when the show returns with the final 10 episodes of its second season in the Spring of 2011. The Stargate franchise — consisting of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis. and Stargate Universe — has aired on Syfy since 2002. Syfy has a slate of new scripted projects lined up for 2011 including the series premiere of Being Human on January 17, the recently green lit one-hour drama series Alphas and the much anticipated, Battlestar prequel pilot movie, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Warehouse 13, Eureka & Haven will also return w/new seasons next year

That reads as if syfy has decided no more of ANY stargate

If you were MGM would you even bother pitching any ideas to them?

I suppose its still possible they could, who knows, but until MGM actually make a statement themselves we have no real idea

Wow, you read a lot into that didn't you.

What do you mean until we hear from MGM themselves? They have already confirmed the franchised has been shelved, what more do you want?

Wow, you read a lot into that didn't you.

What do you mean until we hear from MGM themselves? They have already confirmed the franchised has been shelved, what more do you want?

I don't see why to mention how long Stargate Franchise has been running unless they don't plan on any more in the near future, maybe that is a little pessimistic, but i'd rather be pleasantly surprised if more comes, than disappointed if nothing happens until someone wants to reboot it in 10/20/30 years

I thought it was Brad who'd said that, and that in another interview he said if they continued the series then it probably wouldn't include the guy who effectively killed the series

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Joseph Mallozzi's responds to Syfy's "Open Letter"

You'll have to scroll through the blogpost to about halfway down.

Or hell I'll just copy and paste here

Mailbag:

BoltBait writes: “Any comment on this? http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/an-open-letter-to-stargate-fans-%20%20from-syfy/“

Answer: Back in the last few years of Stargate, I took to giving the network notes on their notes. Essentially, I would go through the notes, address the concerns I could, then specifically respond to ones I couldn’t do or felt I shouldn’t do. As I read this article, I felt like responding in similar fashion. A lot of good points are raised. On the other hand, a lot of baffling points are made as well. For starters, I don’t think an official explanation on the part of SyFy is necessary. While I can empathize with fans who object to the abruptness of the cancellation after ten years on the network, one has to understand that television is a business. If SyFy has alternate scripted programming that performs better on Mondays or Tuesdays in the fall, then it’s understandable why they would choose those shows over a third season of SGU. That said, certain statements in the article had me scratching my head…

“When MGM decided to bring Stargate Atlantis to an end after five seasons…”

Hmmmm. Not to belabor the point (because I have discussed this in past entries) but, at the time, when we asked the studio whether or not there was any interest on their part in producing a sixth season of Atlantis, I was told that, while the increased budget made a season six less attractive for them, there were other reasons to do it (ie. as a lead-in to the new series). I wasn’t privy to the final decision-making process so it’s possible that the studio had an 11th hour change of heart – but I’m not sure why they would have.

“Because Stargate SG-1 and had performed so well for us in the past, we felt confident about SGU and committed to a two-season deal for it, as long as the show met certain milestones along the way. Two-season deals are rare in the TV world because they tie up a huge amount of investment (both time and money), but our great track record with MGM and Stargate made this seem like as much of a sure thing as you’ll get in the TV business. That means before any footage was shot or any actors were hired, we knew there’d be 40 episodes.”

Craig rightly points out that the second year pick-up was contingent on the show’s first season meeting “certain milestones”. Which makes the last sentence: “That means before any footage was shot or any actors were hired, we knew there’d be 40 episodes.” somewhat debatable – unless he’s suggesting that the network was insanely optimistic at the time. If the first season had not met the milestones set forth in the original deal, there would have been no guarantee of a second season pick-up.

“The show quickly moved forward and officially launched on October 2, 2009. The debut was watched by a good if not spectacular 2,779,000 viewers. To give that some perspective, Stargate Atlantis debuted with over 4 million viewers, so SGU was more than 25% below that.”

File this one under baffling. Comparing the SGA premiere to the SGU premiere overlooks is grossly unfair. First – Atlantis premiered during the summer while Universe – originally slated for a fall premiere – premiered in the much more competitive fall. Second the time between the two premiere has seen a significant increase in DVR usage and internet downloads, and a simultaneous erosion in live viewership. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don’t think so. Simply put, back when Atlantis aired, fewer viewers were recording or downloading television and many more were watching television live.

“With untenably low numbers and no sign of growth on Fridays where it had now lost 1/3 of its initial audience, we decided to move SGU for its second season. We’d had tremendous success on Tuesday’s with our breakout hit Warehouse 13, so we paired SGU with Caprica and moved them to Tuesdays, hoping to introduce both shows to a new audience.”

Sigh. Okay, look – while I understood (and supported) the move to Tuesday night and the pairing with Caprica, I nevertheless take exception to the assertion that the network had enjoyed “tremendous success on Tuesday’s with [their] breakout hit Warehouse 13″. While Warehouse 13 certainly aired on Tuesdays, it did so in the summer (where, I’d like to reiterate, SGU was originally scheduled to air).

“We moved the final 10 episodes of SGU to Monday nights where we’d just had success with a new show called Being Human, but the ratings remained flat.”

Okay but, realistically, the series had already been canceled so I’m not sure how much reasonable audience growth could be expected at that point.

Like I said – television is a business and decisions are driven by the bottom line. All the same, we were on the network for ten years. When my last relationship ended after 10+ years, we enjoyed a nice post break-up wrap-up dinner. Just saying.

Seems Revolution, the SG1 movie, would have dealt with the revelation of the Stargate to the general public

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/sg-1-movie-would-have-revealed-the-stargate/

The third Stargate SG-1 movie would have finally revealed the top-secret Stargate program to the world, Stargate executive producer Joseph Mallozzi revealed on his blog this week.

“This subject (the revelation and its many implications) would have formed the plot for the planned SG-1 movie, Stargate: Revolution,” Mallozzi said.

Written with the working title Stargate: Revolution, the movie was to heavily feature Richard Dean Anderson’s character Jack O’Neill.

The script was written by Brad Wright and Carl Binder, and of the possible Stargate projects bandied about over the past three years it came the closest to seeing the light of day. Wright was very confident in an April 2009 interview with GateWorld that they would be filming in the fall, and also said as much during his stage appearance at the official Stargate convention in Vancouver that month.

“I had a story idea that really worked with O’Neill,” Wright said. “And it’s not just his character, by any means. It’s a Stargate story that brings O’Neill back in a big way.”

Anderson confirmed on his Web site sooner thereafter that MGM had indicated its plans to go ahead with the movie. But when the DVD market continued to soften and the studio fell further into debt, plans were again put on hold.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

that would have been so damn good!

It's nice to see Mellozzi giving his views, in his anger we seem to be getting some facts and/or personal views which otherwise we wouldn't normally get

it's still looking like Syfy are majorly to blame over the whole affair though

With the amount of people who already know about it I can only imagine the public's reaction to be "Yeah...we know".

Maybe a lot of shots of people with really fake shock on their faces while talking to the last couple of people who didnt know

What would have happened in Stargate Extinction:

The movie would have picked up not long after the events of the season 5 finale, Enemy at the Gates. In the opening scene, two astronauts (who turn out to be a couple of familiar faces – Amelia Banks and Major Lorne) take a walk on the surface of the moon, their lunar stroll ending with a reveal of the city of Atlantis. A shuttle carrying Sam Carter and a group of dignitaries sweeps overhead and lands.

Within the city’s atmospherically shielded confines, Carter and her guests meet up with the science team headed by – who else? – Rodney McKay. Frustrated by the interruption to his ongoing research, McKay demonstrates a certain impatience with the whole dog-and-pony show, running through standards explanations, overviews, questions, and answers until – an alarm suddenly sounds. The bewildered dignitaries are ushered out, leaving McKay, Carter, and Zelenka to investigate.

An examination of the city’s systems reveal the worst. A self-destruct has been initiated – a safeguard, Rodney surmises, put in place by the Ancients in the event Atlantis was ever removed from the Pegasus Galaxy. And, once triggered, it cannot be disabled. Nothing short of a return to the Pegasus Galaxy will save the city from certain destruction.

Of course, getting it there is easier said than done…

Anyway, that was the basic premise: A seeming new beginning. A threat to the city. And a desperate bid to outrace a deadly countdown.

But who would join the journey? How would they get back to Pegasus? And what challenges would they face along the way?

More on that in the coming days.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/may-25-2011-more-transporter-the-series-casting-announcements-another-dark-matter-character-design-stargate-extinction-secrets-revealed/

What prevented them from returning to Pegasus anyway?

I can't remember fully the last ep... did the journey to get to Earth use up all their ZPM power?

That's another thing I was thinking about actually ZPM's and SGU...

Shouldn't it have been possible to dail a gate on a planet Destiny was near using a ZPM and an 8 Chevron address? The 8th Chevron was always described as like dialing an area code on a phone, like it was a "Galaxy" code. They should have been able to send supplies at least to Destiny that way.... or were all of Atlantis' and Earths ZPMs all used up by the end of SG1 and SGA?

I can't remember fully the last ep... did the journey to get to Earth use up all their ZPM power?

Shouldn't it have been possible to dail a gate on a planet Destiny was near using a ZPM and an 8 Chevron address? The 8th Chevron was always described as like dialing an area code on a phone, like it was a "Galaxy" code. They should have been able to send supplies at least to Destiny that way.... or were all of Atlantis' and Earths ZPMs all used up by the end of SG1 and SGA?

Dialing from a very small distance (universally speaking) such as Milky way to Pegasus uses a lot of power. However, Destiny is many galaxies over and there's no way they would have enough power

Yeah as Serebii said, theres a big difference in dialing the next closest galaxy to dialing one many many galaxies away. Mallozzi originally stated that not even a black hole like the one that powered the Ori supergate could connect to Destiny, something he later went back on after thinking about it properly as a black hole capable of keeping a wormhole connected should have been able to connect to Destiny.

Thats one thing I didnt like about SGU thinking about it. In SG1 naquadria was incredibly rare and only found on Jonah's planet because it was artificially created. Yet now in SGU there are other planets that have it and the Lucian Alliance even use it in their bombs, like the one that was in Homeworld Command.

As for Atlantis returning to Pegasus anyway, I would think that the IOA would have wanted to keep it as close to Earth as possible. I doubt they really care about the people in another galaxy.

That plot though, it doesn't quite fit a decent movie plot...it sounds like a generic episode

I think we are getting more of the plot tomorrow anyway so hopefully that'll add more of the details.

I was gutted when they cancelled SGU season 3. I really enjoyed that twist on the whole SG thing!

Even though SGU Season 2 is no longer coming out on BluRay (WTF??????????), the complete Stargate Atlantis is coming on BluRay in September

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/20952188/Stargate-Atlantis-The-Complete-Box-Set/Product.html

its not coming out on blueray?!? well shit now i have to get both seasons on DVD

still think a series of Stargate needs renewing, be it SGU, SGA or SG1

SGU is one of the very few shows which need High Definition to be fully appreciated. Its retarded that they brought S1 out and then decided not to release S2...was looking forward to it but two weeks ago, I got tht email saying that they weren't releasing it