NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tellyn

Famicom Microphone?

The following quote is from Wikipedia, on the Zelda Enemies section.

A passage in the manual for The Legend of Zelda states that Pols Voices hate loud noises, however for non-Japanese players, this has been a source of confusion. The only item in the game that produces a sound, the recorder, has no effect on Pols Voice. The passage actually describes a feature of the Japanese Famicom version of the game; if the player made a sound into the Famicom controller's built-in microphone, Pols Voice would be slain.

Come again? I never knew the Famicom controller had a microphone in it...

Pols voice is a rabbit type enemy. I think you killed them by using bombs or something in later games. As far as I know, there were little dots somewhere on the controller. But I wouldn't think its a microphone.

The famicom controller did have a mic, but it obviouly wasn't as advanced as ones found on computers and the DS today, it was just simply blowing into the mic, it couldn't reconise voice, or the way you blowed at it... therefore, it was used much.

Come again? I never knew the Famicom controller had a microphone in it...

You learn something new everyday. :heh:

(I didn't know that either actually)

famicom.jpg

The joypad you case, it has a volume switch for the microphone ;)

Wasn't it only the second controller that had it? If I remember correctly, the first controller had the start/select buttons, with the microphone being in their place on controller 2.

Wasn't it only the second controller that had it? If I remember correctly, the first controller had the start/select buttons, with the microphone being in their place on controller 2.

Correcto!

Wait, I have nothing else to say... hmmm...

jesus the famicom was a really advanced computer over all wasnt it.on line acces and now this!

I know, I've found out about a lot of advanced technology in it. It could pick up games via a sattellite!

I know, I've found out about a lot of advanced technology in it. It could pick up games via a sattellite!

That's Wikipedia reference-linkSatellaview for the SNES. Not sure if the NES had some kind of sattelite service, but i think it supported online somehow.

NES version was called Satellite and was released in 1989.

The Satellite allowed up to four players to play the NES anywhere in the room without the necessity of wires running from the NES all the way to the players. A small infrared receiver plugged into the two controller ports on the front of the NES. The main Satellite unit, powered by 6 C-cell batteries, must have a line of sight to the receiver. The unit had four controller ports which could accommodate any type of wired NES controllers. The unit included "Turbo" selectors for both the A and B buttons.

A similar product called the NES Four Score was released a year later, although it didn't allow wireless play.

Also Nintendo had a dance mat for the NES called Power Pad and was released in 1989. The accessory is laid out in front of the video display for various games, generally plugged into the second controller port, with players stepping on the large buttons to control gameplay.

There are two illustrated sides to the pad: Side A, which is rarely used, has eight buttons, while side B has twelve buttons numbered from 1-12.

Games using the Power Pad often test players on their timing and coordination, memory, "running" speed, or allow them to play music with their steps.

Nintendo were the first to have a dance pad as well. :)

Sign in to follow this