NEurope
Hal_9Million

Anyone else forgotten about Revolution?

Wii bashing is over?

Nop it will start again when it comes out and the casuals hear about it, I cringe everytime i say it still to my dad still. Mainly because he laughs and starts taking the piss out of the name, and these are the people nintendo are trying to attract.

Nop it will start again when it comes out and the casuals hear about it, I cringe everytime i say it still to my dad still. Mainly because he laughs and starts taking the piss out of the name, and these are the people nintendo are trying to attract.

sounds like ur dad is the rare exception to the rule these days. wii bashing is indeed over.

I never really thought Revolution would be the final system name, despite its appropriatness, it's just too arrogant a name to try and get away with. At the same time, I still don't really like the Wii name; I've accepted it, doesn't mean I think it's good.

sounds like ur dad is the rare exception to the rule these days. wii bashing is indeed over.

no it isn't!

how can u say that,The casuals will take the piss out of the name when they find out!When they see the posters.if guessing this is going to be a console that gets mispronnouced often when they see the letters wii! why maybe?

Wii is over for now but just wait till it's launch

Actually I still use 'revolution' in conversation. I hate using Wii it just leads to more confusion and makes me sound like a ****.

No way will I ever like the name Wii.

Lets all be happy with the name Wii i am because when anyone talks about Wii they never think it's from Nintendo & in some ways thats good because it will get alot of gamers & none gamers playing Wii :P

Lets all be happy with the name Wii i am because when anyone talks about Wii they never think it's from Nintendo & in some ways thats good because it will get alot of gamers & none gamers playing Wii :P

Not quite sure what you were trying to say there but to me 'Wii' doesn't help Nintendo rather it causes more problems.

Not quite sure what you were trying to say there but to me 'Wii' doesn't help Nintendo rather it causes more problems.

i think what he meant was that a lot of europeans would be put off with the name nintendo because it screams CHILDISH at them.nintendi is trying to get the non-gaming market involved and they can't if they think for one second it's a toy!

Well that's what i think he meant anyways

What i'm saying is it's in the name.

In the last 5 yrs or so Nintendo consoles have been know as consoles only for kids.

I'm happy nintendo has take their name out of the console because when you play Wii you are not going to think oh Nintendo kids console :( you are going to think wow this is fun, cool, & so on & not think it's a kids console because the name Nintendo is not in it.

It also sounds entirely new and the name makes people interested to find out what it is all about :)

Like I've said in that other thread (I think), I was outraged when I first heard it, even though I recognized the marketing genius behind it. But it took me only 2 weeks to get used to it (a little thing called E3 did the trick), and now I don't know better. As a Dutch person, the Wii also doesn't have the same association you people seem to have ;).

However, I was thinking about something else recently.. What will the product number code be? The GameCube is a "DOL", maybe we will see the return of the Revolution in the form of "REV". Would be a nice touch.

What i'm saying is it's in the name.

In the last 5 yrs or so Nintendo consoles have been know as consoles only for kids.

I'm happy nintendo has take their name out of the console because when you play Wii you are not going to think oh Nintendo kids console :( you are going to think wow this is fun, cool, & so on & not think it's a kids console because the name Nintendo is not in it.

It also sounds entirely new and the name makes people interested to find out what it is all about :)

I dont know anyone that has heard the name Wii and not thought it was childish or crap. I know some people who (stupidly) wont get it because of the name. Thats stupid I know but its the way a lot of casuals think.

each to their own, but working in GAME, a LOT of people are asking what it is, and the name doesn't even bother them in the slightest. it intrigues them, and for heaven's sake "yahoo"? "google"? we don't think twice about these now, same with Wii.

i love the name, it's new and cool and it works. childish? pfft! the only people i think who will have a problem after it is launched will be fanboys of other consoles who can't think of anything else to criticise. normal people will either like it, or think it's weird initially and then come round like us.

and if people say to you that they aren't gonna buy it coz of it's name, just laugh at them!! out loud!! :D :D :D they're losing out, not you.

each to their own, but working in GAME, a LOT of people are asking what it is, and the name doesn't even bother them in the slightest. it intrigues them, and for heaven's sake "yahoo"? "google"? we don't think twice about these now, same with Wii.

i love the name, it's new and cool and it works. childish? pfft! the only people i think who will have a problem after it is launched will be fanboys of other consoles who can't think of anything else to criticise. normal people will either like it, or think it's weird initially and then come round like us.

and if people say to you that they aren't gonna buy it coz of it's name, just laugh at them!! out loud!! :D :D :D they're losing out, not you.

Yes but yahoo and google arent names u can make piss jokes out of!

Yes but yahoo and google arent names u can make piss jokes out of!

only immature idiots are gonna do that. the rest of the world won't care, they might see the connection initially but anyone with a modicom (sp?) of common sense will not put the two together like the aforementioned idiots will. let's face it, the people who will make those jokes i'm sure wouldn't be the type to buy it anyway, no mater the name, so i'm sure nintendo aren't worried. neither am i. i think the name will help.

and in america "yahoo" means a crazy person or something like that doesn't it? (help me out here lol)

and to say "i'll google it later", i mean that sounds bizarre but no one cares.

cheers takeo :D

i think what he meant was that a lot of europeans would be put off with the name nintendo because it screams CHILDISH at them.

When you say europeans I suppose you're only talking about the ones who don't live on mainland Europe.

French : Oui : yes

Dutch : Wie : who

German : Wie : how

I suppose that the other languages spoken in Europe either have a "Wii"-sounding word that's as innocent as the examples I gave, or don't have a "Wii"-sounding word at all (but you can always correct me on this).

When you say europeans I suppose you're only talking about the ones who don't live on mainland Europe.

I suppose that the other languages spoken in Europe either have a "Wii"-sounding word that's as innocent as the examples I gave, or don't have a "Wii"-sounding word at all (but you can always correct me on this).

nicely put :)

The trouble is: you guys are speaking english on a daily basis. I'm from Belgium and right here it has no troubles - almost entire Europe wouldn't have any troubles except the english chaps. You know, Wii is a good, rock-solid name that will have people remembering it. It is (as Nintendo stated) a branch name in the ways of Yahoo! and eBay. Nintendo can do allot with Wii talking only about marketing, and to be honest: it didn't ring a bell when i first saw the name. Also, at first people had trouble using Yahoo! in a proper sentence. Now look at people use it. Everybody is using Windows in normal sentences nowadays, even though it just points to multiple glass objects used to watch through walls. You're all a bunch of complainers when you say Wii ain't good - it's perfect to market. Another example: Apple - we refer to apple as if it is normal, but we're speaking about an Greenish-reddish thingy growing on trees. Just wait and forget revolution. It was the coolest Codename (Dolphin sucked) and it will be the Broadway and Hollywood of the gaming industry. Wait. And. See.

WOW. I actually made a popular thread. I haven't done that in a while, lol

Anyway, good posts people.

Uhh ok...thanks :p

germans pronouce w as v so i would say they have no WII sounding word.

No i meant most of europe and america think the name nintendi would be childish but wii doesn't sound like a nintendo product.

No i meant most of europe and america think the name nintendi would be childish but wii doesn't sound like a nintendo product.

Yes, but the german pronunciation of "Wii" will still sound the same as "wie". :awesome:

All in all, you're now saying that Wii is a good name? If so, I agree.

[..]

Ehm, no they don't. The person you quoted was right about "wie" = how, and they pronounce it (almost) exactly like the enlish "we" or the Dutch "wie".

You're watching too much Allo Allo (or other shows with stereotypical Germans).