NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
demonmike04

Next-Gen controllers - Any of them fail safe?

Does any one know if any of the controllers for the new consoles to be fail safe? For those who dont understand, this is what I mean:

When the controller runs out of battery, will the game continue running? Because I can vaguely (sp?) remember being an Xbox controller that once removed out of the socket during gameplay would instantly pause the game, making sure of no mess ups.

So, does any one know if the new controllers do this? And yes this does belong in this forum because it covers Revolution too.

Will the game pause once there is no signal detected from the controller?

Edit: Xbox 360 will be like this, thank you android18a for the info.

i never thought about that,but when your online you cant exactly pause the game,maybe offline you can but online you cant

Yeah i know that, but its games in general, imagine just sitting there playing your revo on a game like mariokart, do a powerslide to avoid going in the river, and the battery runs out and crash into it.

Something to pause it like that when your controller is on the edge of running out of juice is what we need.

Hopefully one of the companies will give word about this soon enough.

Maybe the light down the bottom that tells you what player you are goes red when it's low on power!

RED LED ^_^

I dunno why the Wavebird didn't have 1!!!!!!!!

Xbox 360, upon detecting a low controller battery, pauses the game and brings up the main "360 menu" thing informing you your battery is low. At this point you can either

1)change battery

2)Plug optional controller cord in to recharge as you play

3)use a wired controller (360 has both types accepted as standard)

Dunno 'bout Rev, but I doubt it'd leave you in the lurch with a dead battery and an angry boss attacking.

Xbox 360, upon detecting a low controller battery, pauses the game and brings up the main "360 menu" thing informing you your battery is low. At this point you can either

1)change battery

2)Plug optional controller cord in to recharge as you play

3)use a wired controller (360 has both types accepted as standard)

Dunno 'bout Rev, but I doubt it'd leave you in the lurch with a dead battery and an angry boss attacking.

Oh thanks for the info, i'l just edit the main post now I should imagine if 360 is doing it other companies will jump onboard.

I've done a bit of testing and I think all three GC etc bring up a message when the controller is unplugged, this is a requirement for the game to be passed by nintendo's testing teams before the game can be published. So in the end it will be upto the nintendo to write the rules for the system, but it will probably pause it if the battery goes or gets low, because microsoft, sony and nintendo have ruffly the same rules about their systems so if the 360 does it chances are the rev will to.

i remember in N64 times when if you did not have a controller in any ports it had written on the screen 'No Controller'

When my wavebirds runs out of battery the game continues, hope Nintendo change this for the Rev.

I remember my wavebird died while playing warioware against 2 mates. in that particular instance it actually enhanced the game, but the only other time it failed was in metroid, and that did not enhance the game.

what would be cool would be if the controller got power from the movement of the controller, so it would never run out of battery. kinda like that torch that you shake to power.

I've never trusted wave birds, but then again, the wire on my controller is more than enough so i dont exactly need it.

Hmm so you mean like a weak dynamo pestneb? Because the waving of the controller would need to be strong enough to make the dynamo rotate, thats the only way I can think for your idea Pestneb, kinetic energy.

Maybe Nintendo will send two batteries along when you buy the console so if one battery starts to run out of juice one can just changed it to the second one and put the first one on recharge or something.

That's a REALLY good idea Enigma!! They should be small ver. of the DS/SP batteries (like a Micro 1?).

Hmm so you mean like a weak dynamo pestneb? Because the waving of the controller would need to be strong enough to make the dynamo rotate, thats the only way I can think for your idea Pestneb, kinetic energy.

pretty much. it would have to be prety impressive though, to get enough power.

also, they could have a small recharge port on controllers - on the attachment port bit. although that would kill wireless ness. would be good if the battery had a 10 minute low batter warning, so it would flash up "low battery" on your screen, and say games wouldn't let you start a new game with a low battery etc. so you have to charge your battery/swap battery.

I think nintendo are working at getting as large a battery life as possible though, the wavebirds 100 hours seemed about right

pretty much. it would have to be prety impressive though, to get enough power.

also, they could have a small recharge port on controllers - on the attachment port bit. although that would kill wireless ness. would be good if the battery had a 10 minute low batter warning, so it would flash up "low battery" on your screen, and say games wouldn't let you start a new game with a low battery etc. so you have to charge your battery/swap battery.

I think nintendo are working at getting as large a battery life as possible though, the wavebirds 100 hours seemed about right

Well, i can easily imagine at the attachment port on the bottom of the controller an emergency battery pack. They do them for phones, PSP's, Gameboys, why not revolution or any other next-gen console? (Then again, PS3 controllers dont have a port, maybe you have to throw it like the boomerang it is)

The Wavebird only had that much because of no rumble though.

Realy? Well lets just see what nintendo have got planned, I would want rumble in the controller, but i dont want it to be too bulky for one hand. Good thing we've only seen the prototype

Lol, your carefully aiming a gun at someone then you get shot back at and the controller rumbles, and make you move it, and you lose the game.

Sign in to follow this