NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Square-Enix Talk Wii, Innovation And Hardware

"After three years there will definitely be some [changes] underway [sic]... But this is entertainment after all, so you never know where the next big thing will come from... An exceptional creator can pull off rehashing the same material. This is the easiest thing to do when you're struggling with your content and model. This is fine as long as you pursue efficiency. This is what we've been doing for a long time, and in the process reached a profit rate of over 30 percent. However, this is what Square Enix did when the model was unchanging. Now things are different."

However, the nature of the business dictates that innovation must occur at a sustainable pace, he said. "You really have to dig deep within yourself to produce something new; you can't force it," Wada said. "We must change. But if we change all at once, the system will collapse, and since our profits are built on that system, it's a difficult question. So you have to introduce change from a completely unrelated direction within a separate budget framework. This is something all the companies are worrying about right now. Fortunately, we're financially prepared to handle change."

He observed that the outstanding examples of successful products in the recent past--the Nintendo DS and Apple iPod--are hardware. "The strategy behind Nintendo and the iPod, to create a new environment based on hardware, is completely valid," he said. "But, this is impossible if you don't have experience making hardware."

"This is one of the reasons Square Enix will collaborate with Taito, a company that produces physical hardware," he said. "In our talks with Taito, ideas for an actual physical product have come up. In any case, we will be releasing some 'thing.' It's interesting in that it's not the sort of thing you expect from Square Enix."

I've posted this on the mainsite

The full interview is here

Yes, the industry is allows changing. After Nintendo entered with the Wii console, no doubt it will change even more. I think we'll definitely be entering a new phase.

But, this is a strange turn of events. Could S-E actually be entering the industry from a console maker viewpoint?

Wow, a Square-Enix console? Hmmm, it would be interesting to see what they meant by it. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Ahhhh I don´t know... Three consoles already and I think that´s pushing it... Fourth? Will be too much for the market I think. Most people have 1, maybe 2. Some have all 3, but when the 4th enters the debate and eventually, the living room, things start to get a bit confusing and annoying.

Annoying? Each console will propably have something to offer that most of us would want, and therefor it would get annoying that there are FOUR consoles on the market, and who knows what next-next-gen might cost...

Unless Sony dies along with the PlayStation brand and in comes S-E...

Oh... Maybe that´s a hint

We are talking about Taito, so I think they might be talking about a game developed in-house by square that is not a RPG and is a arcade game.

RPG's are selling less and less in America with some echoes in europe, because there's just too much of them, PS2 is not exactly a starved platform in that, so the profits are dropping... the other companies RPG's are having subpar sales, and even if square does a little better... it's decreasing.

Arcade still gives a lot of money, could be another pilar just like they already have mobile phone games (mainly based off RPG characters) and consoles... but leaving the market all along or venturing into a console for mass production... not likely, Square makes more money from selling software, and it's current trend is going into a "multiplatform company".

It's just that a lot of companies, Sega, Bandai, Namco, Konami, Hudson and Capcom invest a lot in hardware, and most of them have custom built machinery for that. That's where I see Square heading.

A square-enix console makes the mind boggle. But I doubt it would actually be a competitive home console, perhaps some kind of handheld add-on device?

I think they're just talking about exploring more genres (like they did for mario 3 on 3). They better not milk the FF characters though. just imagine FF9 Basketball; Vivi trying to slam dunk ;).

If it's a console (which I very much doubt), I doubt they'd release it outside of Japan.

How about a handheld MMORPG device, locked to say something like FFXII? Would go online through either WiFi or mobile phone connections, would have sufficient flash storage for updates, etc.

Im not sure what to think, but if it were an actual console, i'd like the variety more than the current 3 consoles.

Im going with what YenRug said, i wouldnt of been as suprised if they announced a handheld console.

How about a handheld MMORPG device, locked to say something like FFXII? Would go online through either WiFi or mobile phone connections, would have sufficient flash storage for updates, etc.

Genius.

God, I just hope Blizzard don't pick up on this idea or my life really will be over.

I think that something like that is more likely for the DS. I think a 2D MMO (LoZ:LTTP style) would be very fun. I have a feeling that this could be a peripheral or a pad. But hey if it's a console:

gamerongo009.jpg

WonderSwan! I've never met anyone who has actually even played one. Big woo... :indeed: