Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Games could be more scary than films!

mcj metroid

The scaries film was the "IT" the adaptation of the book by Stephen King. I know can't look at a clown without getting creeped out. Its not that scary once you pass 15, but i saw it when i was 8 and it seriously scared me. The book is also petty scary, but the fact film adds the whole visual element makes it worse.

Back to the thread title, I think that scary games are much scarier than scary films when done correctly. The whole interaction element makes things much scarier. Alien the film was pretty scary (mainly due the ultra-realistic alien suit, far better than any CGI), but the first level of Aliens vs Predator seriously got to me, The rest of the game was "scary", but he fact i took everything at my own time, and the "actions" were mine, the way i played it, made it so much better.

I think in games and films, when they try too hard to be scary, it just comes off funny, or unrealistic. The best type of scary is when things get under your skin, or pycologically creep you out. Scaryness like than can occasionally creep you out weeks after the film. Cheap scares like zombies jumping out at you or over the top amounts of gore just dont work that well.

Well I think there's a difference between making you jump (which a lot of films do) and actually being scary. I think games have more potential to actually disturb you than films, but both should be able to do it. Not having seen/played many horror films/games, I've yet to come across something that genuinely scares me.

Edit: Actually, Eternal Darkness came close, providing that I played it in the middle of the night.