NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

Broadband

Can anyone give me advice on which broadband provider to go for which has unlimited access?

This however must exclude AOL because my mother [who knows nothing at all about PCs] refuses to get AOL.

Thanks in advance.

Why the fuck would you want to get AOL in the first place?

Its RDSL, Ratiod DSL. If alot of people are online it slows your connection right down to cope with it. Anyway, i dunno...

Try Zen or Pipex. I'm on cable so i can't really help.

pipex are a great service provider, really reliable.

pipex 1000. 1mb, no download limit. 19.99 a month

http://www.pipex.com

your mum seems to have a bit of sense if she isnt interested in aol. it sucks pretty bad. i was stuck with it for a year :(

Why the fuck would you want to get AOL in the first place?

Its RDSL, Ratiod DSL. If alot of people are online it slows your connection right down to cope with it. Anyway, i dunno...

Try Zen or Pipex. I'm on cable so i can't really help.

RDSL is Rate Adaptive DSL. Its if your line quality deteriates then the upload speed slows down for stability. Anybody on 512, like myself has it - mainly because of line loss.

I'm on a 2meg line with tiscli i pay £30 a month and free phone calls anytime to uk numbers. There is a ussage limit but i dought very much nay one wouild go over it, as i use my pc loads, and have never reached it.

id say pipex, good price, decent speed and no caps, on the solo service. Im on 1 meg.

I am switching to Be.

My local exchange has not been unbundled yet but should be in December.

It's worthing looking into Be, they are offering cheap 24MB connections by the looks of it, although I know nothing else about them.

I recommend Plus.net. £21.99 unlimited 2MB. For the last 6 months it has been the best deal going for a top 10 quality provider.

You will find adslguide.org.uk very useful in choosing a provider.

P.S. you should listen to your mother, AOL sucks!

Freedom2Surf £24.99 2-8mbit uncapped. ;)

Yea but it will work at 2Mbs most of the time, and often sink back to about 1Mb.

Well I get 2mbit here all the time, really depends how far away you are from the exchange.

Well I get 2mbit here all the time, really depends how far away you are from the exchange.

Hmm, not bad Sir.

Network traffic can also be another contributing factor.

Also contention, luckily my exchange is not full of ADSL users. No isp is perfect but since I'm up late night traffic is free most of the time.

Also contention, luckily my exchange is not full of ADSL users. No isp is perfect but since I'm up late night traffic is free most of the time.

Yea thats what you really want to look out for - contention ratios. I opted for the Business package with Zen so my ratio is only 10:1 - which is pretty good because my speed rarly drops below 55kb/s on a 512Kbps connection.

What ping should I get on a Counter-strike server that is in America with a BT apparently 2mb connection? I'd expext a better ping on a server where everyone but me has 20 ping and I have 60.

On topic:

Don't get BT.

Can anyone give me advice on which broadband provider to go for which has unlimited access?

This however must exclude AOL because my mother [who knows nothing at all about PCs] refuses to get AOL.

Thanks in advance.

Probably because AOL are idiots and their icons look like they're from the Early Learning Centre.

On a good server in the uk, i get a ping around 20-40 on my 2 meg line, it also can change if i change the graphics, if i have them all on full it goes to about 50-70.

Sign in to follow this