NEurope
ShadowV7

DragonBall Z Tenkaichi 2 Thread

I've always wanted a class DBZ game, preferable an RPG/MMORPG. I remember playing some of the japanese SNES ones briefly on an emulator to check them out and they were pretty good. All the DBZ games recently haven't appealed to me that much though, and I played budokai and hated it.

This however, well its more exciting, but still not my ideal type of DBZ game. The thought of playing it with the wiimote has always seemed right though, and i loved it if it was really tiring as then it would feel more like you're actually fighting.

I take it you like RPGs a lot. Me too. Best kind of games imo.

Maybe its just me but, I don't think DBZ suits an RPG genre.

I quite liked the GBA ones,isn't there a DBZ RPG out next year for the DS?

I thought the system for Final Bout was good.This looks like it just about has every character in it,even if there are a few costumes for the chars.But your right about getting tired when playing it because it is really more realistic.

I take it you like RPGs a lot. Me too. Best kind of games imo.

Maybe its just me but, I don't think DBZ suits an RPG genre.

Yes I do.

If done properly it could be fantastic, i'd most like one for the Freeza saga. That is my favourite of them all without a doubt, Namek is immense.

I thought the cell saga was the best once you got past all the talking aka when the cell games actually started.

But, if i had to chose overall what one i prefered it would probably be the frieza saga. Mainly because that dont have super saiyans popping up every where when there was only meant to be one every couple of thousand years.

Also Goku turning SSJ was a great ep,all the other first time transformations where like they were casual,and SSj wasn't so special anymore.Though the fight between Gohan abd Cell was good.After from watching that trailer though,looks like so much to do which is great.Wonder if there's gonna be any extra modes.

The fight between Gohan and Perfect Cell, God i envied Gohan. :heh:

Thats why I liked the cell games so much.

IGN's Hands-On.

When we first heard that there would be a Dragon Ball Z game on the way for Wii, the announcement was met with both endless questions and concerns from fighting fans. For starters, how jazzed will parents be about seeing their kids shadow boxing the kid down the street as they scream "I'm Goku" and proceed to knock every painting in the house off the walls? Along those same lines, will players even need a stamina bar in a game that moves as fast as the DBZ show, or will fighters go at it until the player passes out form exhaustion? Oh they may be legitimate concerns, but there's no denying the selling power of the Dragon Ball Z franchise both here in America, and especially in Japan. Rest assured DBZ fans, for today is the day your questions are answered, as we had a chance to go hands-on with the game for over an hour of straight play time just days ago, and are now ready to tell all.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is what hardcore Dragon Ball fans have been waiting for. Combining the rosters, stories, events, plot twists of each Dragon Ball series, Budokai Tenkaichi 2 works to combine each of the franchise partitions into one solid game, so rather than being focused simply on the world of DBZ, players can experience the original Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT together in a single, unified package. The game offers over 70 selectable characters to use, numbering over 120 total forms to fight with (counting Goku, Super Saiyan Goku, and then each Super Saiyan level, for example). This means that every major character from each series will be fully playable, and have all the depth in the game as they do in the show.

Since this marks the 25th Dragon Ball Z game for the team since just 2002 (counting Japanese versions of course), there was a definite effort put in to make sure that Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 offered enough to warrant an upgrade, and it seems to have worked for the most part. As mentioned, the game covers each series, following the story arch of all three DB shows as accurately as possible. The main story mode lasts over 60hrs, and works to emulate the show verbatim, taking gamers from show-to-show. To add a bit more to the package, the game also includes a Dragon Library which acts as an encyclopedia for each of the characters and events. On the gameplay front, players can now go head-to-head using a tag system that allows for up to five fighters on either team, tagging in and out to duplicate the more epic Dragon Ball battles from the shows. Add in more destructible environments and the ability to combine fighters (Goku + Vegeta = Gogeta), and you've got Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 in a nutshell.

But enough about the formalities, right? The real question on everyone's mind is "How does it play?" Well to be honest, it's a bit of a mixed bag at this point. Since the game is taken directly from the PS2 version (there are literally no graphical leaps or extras aside from Wii control), the game can be playable in nearly every possible way on the Wii. Users can use the Wii-mote and nunchuk combination to get a feel for how Nintendo's new system works, or can just as easily use the GameCube controller or Wii Classic controller instead, using only button presses and analog sticks for player control. When using the Wii, players will make use of an on-screen cursor that is used primarily to show where the Wii-mote is pointing. Doing super attacks is as simple as holding down the activate buttons (which are both the Z and B buttons together) and then doing a specific motion. The motions range from pulling forward and then back for a Kameamea attack, or holding both triggers and moving the cursor off the screen in any of the four directions. It's a bit too simplistic for our liking, but it works.

As for the general Wii controls, Dragon Ball Z emulates a regular controller pretty well, adding a bit of motion to the otherwise stable formula. Players can move with the analog stick, attack with the A button, do projectile attacks with the B trigger and hold down either attack button to power up a more damaging version of each attack. There's also a bit of nunchuk motion usage as well, as players can flick their left hand forward to make the fighter dash at enemies, or hold the C button and tilt either up or down with the controller to have their fighter fly up or down. For whatever reason, the nunchuk didn't keep up as well as it could have when maneuvering with motion, and often cut in and out while we were fighting. Hopefully this is worked out by the time the game launches, as it was extremely frustrating to feel handicapped from an otherwise intuitive setup. Similar issues arose when trying to use both controllers simultaneously for super attacks (lifting up and then slamming down with both hands creates a spirit bomb, for example), and if we had to chose between Wii-mote support and classic control at this point, it would be classic control all the way. Adding motion is important, but it defeats the purpose of Wii if developers are making games less intuitive in the process.

We'll of course reserve final judgment for the game until after playing the final version, but as it stands right now Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 works well as a game for DBZ fanatics, though it works far better as a traditionally controlled fighter than a true Wii game. The frame-rate and overall presentation is solid, and aside from the Wii-mote issues it is looking to shape up quite nicely. There are a ton of characters, new levels, new gameplay modes, and a ton of options for multiplayer gaming. The additional GameCube and Classic controller support is nice, but the overall Wii control simply needs to be improved if the Wii version is going to be taken seriously.

New Videos.

Yeah im pretty sure ill be using the gc controller for this game.

Would the classic controller work with this game? Have a combination of traditional control and Wiimote functionality whenever you need it.

New Video,kind of like a control tutorial showing how to do some moves ,looks amazing.

Clicky

I really can't wait for this.

New Video,kind of like a control tutorial showing how to do some moves ,looks amazing.

Clicky

I just watched that and all i could think was "YES, actually pretending to do a kamehameha will actually make him do it" wohooo

I'm well gonna learn like all the moves like Special beam cannon and Final Flash. Man this is gonna rule. In the Face.

After watching that video I can't wait to get my hands on it,the controls look pretty good to me.Arghh I want it now.

Clicky

Woot Woot cant wait for this now. The wait is gonna feel longer now.

Anyone knows for sure if the game is coming out on the 8th of December? According to Gamefaqs neither the USA nor Europe is gonna get the game at the Wii launch

I don't really like Dragon Ball Z but my little brother talked me into getting this game. Just another game I'll end up beating him at.

Apparently the release date here is Dec 31st...damn, was looking forward to playing this on launch day...

Apparently the release date here is Dec 31st...damn, was looking forward to playing this on launch day...

It can't be then it's a sunday.I really hope we get it this year though,it looks fantastic.

It can't be then it's a sunday.I really hope we get it this year though,it looks fantastic.

Yeah it really really does...but I kinda do with it was a more sophisticated fighter along the lines of maybe Tekken or Soul Calibur...that would make it one of my favourite games...but still it's gonna be great. Anywho...that date, I got it from the IGN Wii site, so there must be some accuracy to it...

Yeah it really really does...but I kinda do with it was a more sophisticated fighter along the lines of maybe Tekken or Soul Calibur...that would make it one of my favourite games...but still it's gonna be great. Anywho...that date, I got it from the IGN Wii site, so there must be some accuracy to it...

Ah,a Soul Calibur would be really good.I think they're just stating the date as the 31st because they're unsure of it.Because I doubt Australia has the same date as us.Could be for us and Australia sometime in Dec and Jap sometime in January but don't know the exact date.