N-Europe

Fan Constantly Whirring Loudly

Bluejay

Of recent, my fan has been whirring like something is going to spontaneously combust. More or less from boot, it spins like crazy. I checked my processes and there is nothing suspect or nothing using much RAM. The CPU is hovering around 7-10% and nothing particularly intensive is being run.

From my limited technical knowledge, I'm guessing that maybe my PC's private bits need cleaning, compressed air or what-have-you? I ran a program called speedfan to see if something was too hot and it only told me that HD0 was 39 degrees C.

Is there anything I can do and will a reformat help as I'm planning one soon anyway? Another thing is that my PC jerks about on games that used to run flawlessly, even on the lowest settings. HL2, CSS, CoD2 being examples.

I ask as it sounds like the PC could explode any minute.

What fan? Graphics card, cpu, case fan or something else? If it's a reasonably old fan it's bearings might be getting close to the end of their life. The only thing you can do in that case is to get a new fan.

You could try cleaning with compressed air. They sell it in bottles (yeah air in bottles actually sells...) Or if you have a compressor at home you can use that. But not on excessive air pressure levels.

What fan? Graphics card, cpu, case fan or something else? If it's a reasonably old fan it's bearings might be getting close to the end of their life. The only thing you can do in that case is to get a new fan.

Theres more than one fan in there? Oh, I don't really know, its kinda big right at the back.

And Jordan, I hadn't thought of that.

Theres more than one fan in there?

Fan on your video card (will be horizontal) if you have one.

CPU Fan on a heatsink (looks like a small grill), square, on your motherboard.

Case fan and PSU fan usually on the back of the case itself.

It might need cleaning or something. You can blast it with air (as someone said already)

If its hot were you are... its called the heat. My PC is about 7 degrees warmer now we're in the summer.

What he said. Luckily my new PC is clean enough not to need cleaning although it's definitely louder since this hot weather started and my GPU core temps for my 7600GT are definitely higher than usual.

I'm a bit scared to play something intensive like Half life 2: Episode one at the moment for some reason though.

Theres more than one fan in there? Oh, I don't really know, its kinda big right at the back.

And Jordan, I hadn't thought of that.

So it's probably the case fan. There shouldn't be any major differences in the operating temperatures if it fails. But especially in summer I would recommend that you clean it. Or if it stops working, replace it. But I think that it's safe to use the PC even if it fails. Unless it's somehow tunneled to the heatsink on the cpu. It's hard to tell when you can't see the PC :hmm:

Try smacking the top of your computer, usualy does the job for me (warning, if this has any negative effect on your computer its not my fault). Cleaning it also works, if it stops working however dont keep using the computer! my last comp died from this (though it would pretty much run to the ground anyways)