NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Restoring data

those of you who have read my recent meaningless post will know i have a tragic loss of data. i was juts wondering if there is anyway to restore any of this, as i don't think it has been written over.

thanks

For that amount of data, I would take it to a professional. It will still be on the hard drive unless you've used it since.

I'm assuming you have all your important files backed up, right?

they were backed up on that drive. i thought it would be fine. URGH!!!!!!!

You're supposed to back things up on different drives... Schoolboy error I'm afraid. :indeed:

look, i don't want you telling me what i should have done. i know i did the wrong thing or there wouldn't be a fucking problem. i don't want you looking down on me as i'm not as geeky as you, I would just like some kind person, like moria to give me some advice about how it could possibly be rectified.

Well, since I have no idea what is going on , I am going to fill in the blanks.

Drive So and So is dead/

I assume that the Computer is not even recognising it as a HDD?

Seagate offers data restoration...but it can get pricy. If it is just a bit "twitchy" , you can always try the plastic bag and freeze trick.

Fetchez la vache.

Quoi?

Fetchez la vache!

Mooo!

Ultra low temps can sometimes make bad sectored HDDs readable/ The platic bag keeps frost out.

as ever, you are a legend!

found me a flat, and it appears you have found me some of my stuff. i'll update when i know how true this is!

edit: yes, you really are a legend! there were 2 har drives that suffered loss of data. i'm too scared to touch the important one, but the other one (the one I have no idea how it lost data) has now had 40GB restored, or to put it differently, all but about 200mb.

I might try to overcoem the fear of touching the other drive, or i'll see how much a professional would cost, as its the other drive that has all my personal documents on that has the most sentimental value. they will be backed up onto several DVD's immediatly if.when they can be restored.

That's really cool Tom. It must have been awful when it happened.

i have lost some data too i posted it earlier, i would like to try those programs but i have only one drive, and you said not to install on the drive im recovering from how do i do that then? thanx

i have lost some data too i posted it earlier, i would like to try those programs but i have only one drive, and you said not to install on the drive im recovering from how do i do that then? thanx

You could install the program onto a USB flash drive, and run it from that.

dur thanx i feel retarded now haha and which one of those 3 programs that Odwin provided shuold i use?

Marshmellow, when was it you lost the data? If you don't have much free space left on your drive and you've been using it you dont have much chance of finding the complete files.

well its been happening about once a week for the last month or so? not too long ago. i dont save a lot so there is still lots of room on my hard drive...

well its been happening about once a week for the last month or so? not too long ago. i dont save a lot so there is still lots of room on my hard drive...

Saving does virtually nothing, if you're just editing the file it will use very little new space. How much do you delete? Installed anything?

You should still try out all of those programs though.

alright ill try em, the only thing that i can really think of that ive installed recenetly was ms office 07 beta and that was just a few hours ago... ive deleted random things that i dont need, not a whole bunch, and thanx

as ever, you are a legend!

I have to agree :D Almost found some of 100+ digital camera pictures. Could only restore one of them. But it seems that the other files were overwritten. Can't see how though as the drive they were on is rarely used... But still now I know what to do next time I lose data.

alright ill try em, the only thing that i can really think of that ive installed recenetly was ms office 07 beta and that was just a few hours ago... ive deleted random things that i dont need, not a whole bunch, and thanx

Office will use loads of space. How big is your drive?

Sign in to follow this